Greetings, new to the forum.

Bluerice

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So, I've decided to enter a more Vegan-specified community.

I've been a vegan for 8 years now, vegetarian for 18.

I live in the hole of Israel, and... Despite the whole vegan awareness here, I can't really find a good company around.

I'd be happy to share my experience has a Vegan, and also... Debate upon ways to spread the concept out, and to find ways to evolve in morality far beyond... Let it be in Environmentalism and living ecologically alongside the natural world.

I'd be glad to join the general conversation!

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned the vegan awareness where you live: how come in Israel people are aware of veganism ?

Where I live people generally do not know the difference between vegan/vegetarian, so have to explain in all restaurants..

Gab

Reactions: Bluerice
It's said that Gary Yourofsky visited Israel a few years ago, and gave interviews, and explained to the Israelis that their meat eating was perpetuating a kind of animal holocaust, and that our modern day factory farms are no more than concentration camps (or some words roughly to that effect). This while I'm sure it would have got a mixed reaction apparently struck a chord with some. Apparently it led to quite a bit of discussion in the media and social media, and let to a chunk of people going vegan. Would be interested to hear if the OP could comment on this.

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned the vegan awareness where you live: how come in Israel people are aware of veganism ?

Where I live people generally do not know the difference between vegan/vegetarian, so have to explain in all restaurants..

Gab

Pretty much what Jamie stated at the comment above.
Indeed, the coming of Garry caused a certain Vegan-Boom in Israel, and yeah... Prior to that, it was far less known what a vegan even is.
Although, there already has been a work of both Vegans and Vegetarians around... Animal rights organizations certainly existed, but...
Their scale of impact wasn't impressive.

Now, you have celebrity vegans, you have many places going "Vegan Friendly"... The social media has the word "Vegan" passed through it rather often, and, Vegans are increasing in number, and, in influence too.
Companies are beginning to shift their mindset, and people are also bearing more thought in general to what they consume.

I know that I hardly connect with any of the new Vegans that pop around... I've had far longer experience in Veganism, and prior to that, Vegetarianism... And, I got little to share with them... My path was my own.

Still, I'm glad that this carries on, and grows still... The more Vegans, the less the industry makes a profit.

But, to really know if this change made any difference, is to see how it progresses through a century.
Most Vegans are still your average consumer living in a bubble...
Their awareness somehow just stops at a certain point, where food-selection is all it is...
It's something, but, I won't count on it too much.
So, I don't have any hopes up...
I just wanna see where it leads.

That's great to hear. Where I live it depends on the city. Some cities, like Brighton have 50 odd vegan restaurants. Other cities have none, but can always find a vegan soup with bread and jacket potato with beans ;)

I never was into restaurants to begin with :p
I'd rather make my own food, I just don't trust anyone when it comes to stuff that enter my body.

Uhm...is it really only limited to food that you do not trust other people or more a case that you do not trust anyone period.

Would you trust someone else with your money, or your feelings ?

After enough encounters and experience with the humanity around me...

I have to say that this goes onto other fields indeed.

Trust is something to be earned, not freely given.

My emotions were hindered enough as it is.

I have a feeling I won't get any good result if I handled my money the way I handed my emotions.

The experiences that you had in the past that made you mistrust people are linked to specific individuals rather than humanity in general. Otherwise, you will limit your life and horizons very much.

For example, if a past relationship did not work, does it mean that you never try again ?

Life is about try, fail, fail better ... repeat ;)

I don't like to fail where my heart is involved.

With everything ells, I learned to mostly trust nature rather than anything ells...

Humans, at least... The ones in Israel, aren't very trustworthy.
The whole nation feels like something never thinking ahead... And that's very very bad.

Everything here seems...
Temporary.

Hard to describe it... But, the quality of things here are just very bad.

There's much of a variety... But, the moment you taste it...
You find the taste lacking in something.

Maybe the rest of the human world will give me a far nicer example of the better side of our specie.

In Israel?

I rarely really find any good thing to be true.
It's always fake...
Only nature here shows something that feels alive.

The people?

Imitate someone ells.

Nobody likes to fail, especially when heart is involved. But it is either try, fail and get better at it, or just ... not live, not enjoy life. Living in a locked cage of mistrust does not seem much fun.

I get what you mean about Israel as culture ... I come from a place like that originally, and even there I still found a lot of goodness from strangers. I live as an adventurer, as in I travel to remote places on a motorbike, and often when there are problems I have to do exactly that: trust strangers. So it gave me a unique view on how good the people actually are if you are willing to give them a chance. Some will disappoint you, most will not - but it takes courage on your part to trust and to risk being hurt. But then again you are a man, courage should be one of your core features.

I think traveling out of here is the key solution...
I dunno, even the air in Israel is just... Not good.
My allergies are really bad ever since I returned from Japan...
And in Japan... All I did was just, walk about.

I like to walk...
Israel, is a place where you don't have that much freedom... With all the problems, let alone, with the entire insanity over every piece of territory...

There's something in the air... In the people, in everything about Israel that just screams:
"You don't belong here".

I was far more healthy while I been to Japan...
Returning to Israel...
I feel sick, too sick... It's not travel fatigue, something is just wrong here.
I can feel it in my bones even.

I'll only move to Japan, when I've fully learned the language, and have gained a skill which is required in Japan.
I have no reason to go there unless I have a business to.

Uhm, so you are postponing your happiness until a time when you have learned Japanese, and gained a skill useful in Japan ?

Who is to say I'd automatically be happy in Japan?
I am a stranger there, and I don't think the nation of Japan wants me to be there.
It was the first time I ever went out of Israel... I cannot say if indeed Japan is the suitable spot for me.

Happiness is defined when you can look to the future, and say "My child shall find a good life here".
Something like that, isn't easy to determine.

What is certain though, is that Israel, has no home in it.
It's just a massive real-estate deal.

I think of happiness more in the classical sense, which can be applied immediately rather than in the future: joy, light hearted (see synonyms below):

happiness
ˈhapɪnəs/
noun
  1. the state of being happy.
    "she struggled to find happiness in her life"
    synonyms: contentment, pleasure, contentedness,satisfaction, cheerfulness, cheeriness,merriment, merriness, gaiety, joy,joyfulness, joyousness, joviality, jollity,jolliness, glee, blitheness, carefreeness,gladness, delight, good spirits, high spirits, light-heartedness, good cheer,well-being, enjoyment, felicity;

Last edited:
Japan is not exactly known for being fully welcoming to foreigners. The people are extremely polite but a deep integration for a foreigner, in business, in personal life, can be challenging, as far as I know.

However, traveling and living in other countries does have its benefits. Once you have tried living elsewhere, you may find you are quite right, and Israel is not for you. Or, perhaps you'll find that Israel has its faults but so does everywhere else and you'll want to go back to Israel. You don't know until you try, do you? Good luck.