Getting rid of clutter/minimalism

Well, a divorce, several moves, and another breakup in the span of about seven years does wonders for reducing clutter. I got rid of immense amounts of stuff each time, and I'm getting rid of more that I don't want to move this next (and final time). It's made me realize how much money I've spent over the years on things I didn't need.

I have donated literally truckloads of household items and clothing, filled several industrial size dumpsters (three just cleaning out my parents' house), donated thousands of books.

The only things I'm moving this time are the animals and all their paraphenalia (which is considerable), my greatly reduced wardrobe, my stash of yarns, some small appliances, a few plates, glasses, and pots and pans, my bed, two chairs, my antique library table, family photos, artwork I've collected over the years, my laptop, my compact stereo. The books I didn't donate previously are still stored at my sister's, so I don't have to move them. Oh, and the power tools.

Other than the power tools, the table and chairs, the bed, and the animals and their stuff, I could fit it all into one car load.

I subscribe to quite a few minimalist blogs - zen habits, everyday minimalist, miss minimalist, and a few others.
I've been really drawn to the whole idea and lifestyle for a while. Something finally just "clicked" in me, so I've slowly been getting rid of things, mostly donating to the SPCA thrift store.
I still have way more than I want/need, and everyone else is having a hard time coming to terms with letting things go. So there is a LOT of stuff in this house. The den is completely filled with my mother's things from when she moved in completely a few years ago. So we can't even use that room.

You have to be ruthless, and many people who give advice on reducing clutter say to make either a six months or one year rule, and stick to it. If you haven't used the item in six months, or a year, it goes. The only stuff this needn't apply to is heirlooms or stuff with serious sentimental value.

Sentimental clutter can become such a problem, though. My mother has taken on waywayway more than she should have, she can't let stuff go because it reminds her of something. So then in the end she can't enjoy these things because it's become clutter and hoarded. She also has two storage sheds that she has to pay for every month.

When we moved to new York we rid ourselves of most of our stuff. But two years later we moved back to Vegas a accumulated more. We're currently cluttered and need to clean up and organize. I keep saying I'm going to hire someone to help.

I love having clear outs! Anything decent goes to charity shops, some things go on eBay & very occasionally I'll sell things at a boot sale. That way you get a bit of extra cash as well. :)

I have four boxes in the attic of VCR tapes of old episodes of Days of Our Lives...FOUR BOXES!!! :weird:

Interesting replies. I have a headache but will read them all soon.

I have four boxes in the attic of VCR tapes of old episodes of Days of Our Lives...FOUR BOXES!!! :weird:

This used to be me when I was younger. I would tape all the ABC soaps and then save the tapes of the "special" ones. I also had boxes full of soap magazines.:rolleyes:

Reactions: KLS52
When I moved to Montreal, I moved with only two suitcases and one box. Did wonders to get rid of everything that wouldn't fit into them. I don't miss anything I got rid of, either.

I live in a small house. That helps, as well as moving.

I am going to be building a tiny house on a trailer in the next few years and that will require downsizing. I am going to try getting rid of the majority of my stuff between now and then. When I have the tiny house, whatever doesn't fit will be sold or given away. I'm really excited about the prospect of being free from stuff.

Every now and then I dedicate a Saturday to getting rid of things. I put Hoarders on Netflix and just start purging unused, unneeded crap out of the house.

Reactions: kibbleforlola
I absolutely love the concept of minimalism but know it would never work for me. If I go to the thrift shop and it's vintage, cute and cheap, there is a good chance I'll buy it. I'm a little more selective than I used to be and I did donate a lot of stuff to our wonderful PAWS thrift a few years ago.

My dressers are mostly full of yarn and fabric. Not getting rid of any of that.

Reactions: thefadedone
I absolutely love the concept of minimalism but know it would never work for me. If I go to the thrift shop and it's vintage, cute and cheap, there is a good chance I'll buy it.

Yeah I'm totally guilty of this also.

Do you even still have a VCR player? Maybe you shouldn't answer that. :p

Yes, I do still have/use a VCR and I'm damned proud of it! :p

I did have a young cashier question me, once, about the VCR tapes I was buying...he was like, "wow, they still make these?" lol

I am soooo doing this right now....and cant believe what I bought previous and thought I needed wanted....I have already cleared out a ton of stuff some with the tags still on them... and more to go not everything of course but stuff I know can be used to help people and help me to pass it on.

peace:)

Actually, that could be a good thing...it will force me to throw them out! :)

Or you could find some crafting center...you can do pretty neat things from old VCR tapes with knitting and crocheting....and one of the coolest thing I have seen done from those is by weaving to a fabric with yarn and then it was turned to a bag. it really looked neat. And knitting it with big wooden needles turns those also pretty nice things. You can make a table decorations on that way with ironing it after it's done so it gets flat and changes bit of color. That will be nice over table cloth...kind of like black lace over it.

Or you could find some crafting center...you can do pretty neat things from old VCR tapes with knitting and crocheting....and one of the coolest thing I have seen done from those is by weaving to a fabric with yarn and then it was turned to a bag. it really looked neat. And knitting it with big wooden needles turns those also pretty nice things. You can make a table decorations on that way with ironing it after it's done so it gets flat and changes bit of color. That will be nice over table cloth...kind of like black lace over it.

Wow...what a cool idea!! :)