Get Your Vitamin D

Jamie in Chile

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
In 2016 the BBC reported that "public health officials" had advised that everyone (in the UK) should supplement vitamin D in autumn and winter, advice that, if correct ought to make sense for people at similar or higher latitudes such as Canada, Scandinavia, Russia. Similar advise might also make sense for other places like France, Germany and the northern half of the USA and the northern part of China.

If you haven't supplemented this winter, then your vitamin D ought to be building itself up again by the end of March in a normal situation, since we are already midway through the year in light terms (from shortest day to longest day). However if you are not leaving the house at all at the moment (and not getting sunlight for vitamin D production), I suspect it is going to get worse. If you can't go outside each day without risking contact with other people, or if you are preferring to keep your daily exercise very short, then it may worth considering supplementing while on lockdown.

Thanks for mentioning that. I've neglected to supplement with vitamin D because I thought the sun would be sufficient. Nope!
Now I take a supplement and my energy levels improved a lot. Unfortunately, vegan vitamin d is still pretty pricey, I hope that will change.

I had very low vitamin D levels a few years ago when I was tested and now I take a supplement all year round.

Reactions: David3
Thanks for mentioning that. I've neglected to supplement with vitamin D because I thought the sun would be sufficient. Nope!
Now I take a supplement and my energy levels improved a lot. Unfortunately, vegan vitamin d is still pretty pricey, I hope that will change.

Vegan vitamin D3 is inexpensive now! Please check your facts before posting!

Here's a brand that costs only $8 for a 2 month supply: Amazon.com: Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 2500IU with Vitashine D3, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Regulates Immune Function, Supports Healthy Bones, 60 Veggie Caps: Health & Personal Care . Even when it's not on sale, it's only $16 for a 2 months supply.

Also, you don't have to take a supplement every day. The above-mentioned supplement contains 3X the recommended daily intake of vitamin D.

Reactions: SaraSmith85 and Lou
I saw today this video. It's by a retired nurse.

In the video, he looks at some scientific studies that he says show that low vitamin D = higher risk of catching viruses/respiratory diseases. Logically, that may mean COVID-19 risk is higher as well if you have lower vitamin D.

It's a 30 minute video, but the first 2 minutes or 5 minutes is useful as a summary before he goes into depth if you don't have 30 minutes.

Vegan vitamin D3 is inexpensive now! Please check your facts before posting!

Here's a brand that costs only $8 for a 2 month supply: Amazon.com: Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 2500IU with Vitashine D3, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Regulates Immune Function, Supports Healthy Bones, 60 Veggie Caps: Hhttps://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Plant-Based-Nutrition/dp/1615641017/ref=sr_1_3? Even when it's not on sale, it's only $16 for a 2 months supply.

Also, you don't have to take a supplement every day. The above-mentioned supplement contains 3X the recommended daily intake of vitamin D.
I went through a LOT to get my D levels up. I had tremendous, really crippling, bone pain in my feet and ankles, and was advised all kinds of tests, cat scans, boots, and physical therapy. I finally found my D had never been tested, and even when I asked for a test was told since I was spending unprotected walks in the sun and supplementing D2 I would be fine. I wasn't fine, I was at 11. After the initial prescription and taking 2500 IU of D3 daily I came in at 30, but my symptoms had subsided. I was advised to take 5000 daily, and that is significantly better
I'm a bit afraid to try vegan D. I know I switched brands and could feel a difference within weeks. I suppose I should though, I can always go back.
Thing is, vegan D3 IS more expensive. Even the link for 2500 IU is half the regular price and still a lot higher than I pay.
Saying you don't have to take every day is not for everyone!

In addition to other causes such as working environments (some of which are related to inequality and racism) this may partly explain why African Americans in the US have a higher COVID-19 infection rate. It's very likely African Americans have lower vitamin D and this may lead to a higher infection rate. More supplementation needed.

If there is a connection between vitamin D and COVID-19, this may have a beneficial impact in cases in the northern hemisphere reducing over time. June is the month of the year with the most sunlight. May is the month of the year with the third most sunlight.

If that's true going outside produces a net risk of virus transmission, but also a positive in terms of vitamin D production. If you're going out for a long run in a village and don't come within 2 metres of everyone, that may be a net benefit for society!

If you have a garden sitting out in the sun with bare arms is a good strategy! If it's still not hot enough where you live for that, then might make supplementation worth thinking about. Or do both!

Hi Silva, I am glad you managed to work things out and hope you can continue to keep the pain away!

Hi Silva, I am glad you managed to work things out and hope you can continue to keep the pain away!
Thanks, I so wonder why. Doctors really are useless for so much we expect them to know!
I'm thinking maybe it's linked to my maintainance asthma inhalor, but can't find any reference.
I know saying vegan D is too expensive seems a cop out, but when you add up all the extras it definitely is a factor!
I still avoid it elsewhere

I went through a LOT to get my D levels up. I had tremendous, really crippling, bone pain in my feet and ankles, and was advised all kinds of tests, cat scans, boots, and physical therapy. I finally found my D had never been tested, and even when I asked for a test was told since I was spending unprotected walks in the sun and supplementing D2 I would be fine. I wasn't fine, I was at 11. After the initial prescription and taking 2500 IU of D3 daily I came in at 30, but my symptoms had subsided. I was advised to take 5000 daily, and that is significantly better
I'm a bit afraid to try vegan D. I know I switched brands and could feel a difference within weeks. I suppose I should though, I can always go back.
Thing is, vegan D3 IS more expensive. Even the link for 2500 IU is half the regular price and still a lot higher than I pay.
Saying you don't have to take every day is not for everyone!

Thank you, Silva. This is true - the U.S. National Institutes of Health's nutrient RDI (recommended daily intake) values are not suitable for everyone. The RDI values are specified to apply to 97% to 98% of healthy people: Office of Dietary Supplements - Nutrient Recommendations : Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) . Larger nutrient intakes may be needed to address health conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: silva
Thank you, Silva. This is true - the U.S. National Institutes of Health's nutrient RDI (recommended daily intake) values are not applicable to everyone. The RDI values are specified to apply to 97% to 98% of healthy people: Office of Dietary Supplements - Nutrient Recommendations : Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) . Larger nutrient intakes may be needed to address health conditions.
I'm just so mad that D isn't a regular part of bloodwork. When I was getting that crippling pain I asked my doctors about D and they would ask me if I was getting sun, or taking supplements, and yes, I was conciously walking midday in a sunny summer, with no screen. I was also taking Deva cal-mag-D2. They assured me I was fine. I was able to get one test covered by insurance for diagnostic reasons, but nothing further. I paid for the follow up
B12 is another one that they don't want to test for, so if I want that I'm on my own.

It is important to know your levels, because taking too much D is also a bad thing!

I went through a LOT to get my D levels up. I had tremendous, really crippling, bone pain in my feet and ankles, and was advised all kinds of tests, cat scans, boots, and physical therapy. I finally found my D had never been tested

That is bad, that is the first thing the GP checked for me when I had pain in my legs and feet.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
You may already be aware that Vitamin D has been shown to deliver a range of benefits, like strengthening bones, supporting immunity, and even boosting your mood. So how might it impact the bladder?​
The researchers explain that the bladder detrusor muscle, which contracts to allow urine out of the bladder, contains Vitamin D receptors. In essence, Vitamin D may help strengthen some muscles in and around the pelvic floor, including the bladder.​

So, I have "urgency issues", but I also have an enlarged prostate.
And... I have ignored the call for vitamin D supplements. I drink 2 - 4 glasses of fortified soy milk, And I take a multi. That's at least 80% of the RDA. And I live in Sunny California and I spend at least a half hour outside every day.

So I figured I didn't need another supplement. but after reading this article I'm thinking some more about it.

What do you guys think?

BTW, there are so many Vitamin D threads - I hope I picked the right one.

You may already be aware that Vitamin D has been shown to deliver a range of benefits, like strengthening bones, supporting immunity, and even boosting your mood. So how might it impact the bladder?​
The researchers explain that the bladder detrusor muscle, which contracts to allow urine out of the bladder, contains Vitamin D receptors. In essence, Vitamin D may help strengthen some muscles in and around the pelvic floor, including the bladder.​

So, I have "urgency issues", but I also have an enlarged prostate.
And... I have ignored the call for vitamin D supplements. I drink 2 - 4 glasses of fortified soy milk, And I take a multi. That's at least 80% of the RDA. And I live in Sunny California and I spend at least a half hour outside every day.

So I figured I didn't need another supplement. but after reading this article I'm thinking some more about it.

What do you guys think?

BTW, there are so many Vitamin D threads - I hope I picked the right one.
I think get it checked on your next bloodwork!
All I know is that taking D2 every day did nothing for me--when I finally got tested I was quite deficient, and that was at the end of a sunny summer with little sunscreen!
Some people just don't convert it well, I was told. Supplementing did wonders for me! I have yet to try vegan D3. Even taking a cheaper drugstore brand brought my foot and ankle pain back, so I'm leery

Reactions: Lou