Frys pepper steak pies - cook from frozen?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Okay, I accidentally cooked a pie that says to defrost before cooking without defrosting. Who ever heard of defrosting a frozen pie before cooking? Not me anyway.

If I wait until the pastry is cooked and eat it, might I get sick?

Any ideas?

I always cook frozen as it is much safer than leaving the food at room temperature.

What kind of a pie are you cooking ?

I would just cover the pie with foil to prevent it from burning.

The stuff that is available for veg/s in the UK is amazing.

I've cooked those pies from frozen....I usually don't cook them long enough, and the pastry is still soft. By the time the pastry should be cooked then it will have heated up enough in the middle, and the middle doesn't need to be cooked, only the pastry.

I've been cooking Fry's Pies from frozen for years now.

Wondered why I could never stop them coming out a bit 'soggy' ...

Gonna try defrosting them first next time.

I've been cooking Fry's Pies from frozen for years now.

Wondered why I could never stop them coming out a bit 'soggy' ...

Gonna try defrosting them first next time.

I would suggest that you bake them without defrosting them. Follow the instructions and then reduce the oven
temp. and cook for a little longer than suggested, covering them with foil. Remove them from the foil tin and leave to cook slightly on a wire rack before serving.

I cook the frys scnitzels, nuggets, tenders etc from frozen and I cant see why it would be a problem with pies. I am pretty sure pie shops heat their pies from frozen and sell them.

I cook the frys scnitzels, nuggets, tenders etc from frozen and I cant see why it would be a problem with pies. I am pretty sure pie shops heat their pies from frozen and sell them.

Yes, it is always safer to heat/cook frozen food quickly as defrosting helps to develop bacteria. If you have a large sized dish such as a pie, you can always defrost it slightly in the microwave before baking it.

I never noticed the 'defrost' part of the instructions! I've never gotten sick from it, so you'll be fine - I imagine it's to do with the quality of the final product, rather than any kind of hygeine issue.

Reactions: SummerRain
Ah rubbish. I threw them away because they hadn't cooked by the time I needed to leave the house :( They were on offer and I'd never had them before, better luck next time!

But thanks for everyone's help :)