Fruit allergies

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My parents love eating fruit, but recently my dad has had an allergic reaction to strawberries and my mother to berries. I'm not sure whether it's the fertilizers or whether it's the fruit itself.

It seems more people are developing allergies, maybe their immune system is weaker as they are getting older, but they never had this problem before.

It goes to show, even if you think you are okay with something an allergy can develop later in life, so always be aware.

My son developed an allergy years ago and it went away when we cut out processed foods. I had watched one of those food documentaries about a man who had an unexplained allergy and was taking meds and he was generally unwell etc etc etc. That was the first time I connected food to health issues and so I went on a mission for my son to see if his was connected as well. He went from barely being able to leave the house without major planning, to coming and going as he pleases, just like every other child. He hasn't had one reaction since and it's been years. An allergy always has a trigger.. and I would bet it has nothing to do with the actual foods people are reacting to.

Wow, that really stinks. I have never been tested before to see what I'm allerigc to, but I'm pretty sure that I'm allergic to sea food. Which isn't a huge deal but I went to a sea food restaurant and had a salad. Though everyone else at the table around me had some type of sea food and when we were going home, I started to have an allergic reaction. I couldn't imagine finding out that I might be allergic to something later on in life.

Allergies really can be a problem, especially with some food groups like fruit. I have no idea what I would do if I was allergic to fruits: I eat them as snacks all the time. I think especially that when you're vegetarian or vegan, having allergies with a few food groups that you eat can really be problematic, as that means you're now even more restricted. I don't even want to think about what would happen if I found out I was allergic to fruit when I'm older...

Allergies really can be a problem, especially with some food groups like fruit. I have no idea what I would do if I was allergic to fruits: I eat them as snacks all the time. I think especially that when you're vegetarian or vegan, having allergies with a few food groups that you eat can really be problematic, as that means you're now even more restricted. I don't even want to think about what would happen if I found out I was allergic to fruit when I'm older...

Yes, it was a bit of a shock for my dad who has always been fine. He is diabetic now, so perhaps his medication has made his immune system more sensitive? This is another reason why I never use medicine unless I have to. The side effects can last a long time and some are not reversible.