Friends with shocking diets

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am sure we all have friends on shocking diets, even some vegans can be junk vegans.

What are some bad examples you have seen that you need to get off your chest?

I have to get this off my chest...
I have a family of friends that are all morbidly obese... when I say morbidly, I mean morbidly. Now they are finding that the best approach to lose weight is Keto... kill me now!
Breakfast is chocolate milk with 6 ts sugar, bc it’s not sweet enough.
Large amounts of milk and cupboard is filled with every flavour of crisps you can imagine. This is just to name a few.

I have stopped making suggestions, they don’t listen to me and get offended.

Reactions: Lou
I meet up, once a week, with a group of guys. Most of us are old and retired. Initially, the thing we all had in common was that we were all 49ers fans. But over the years other people have joined. (We are very inclusive).

Although it varies from week to week there are some regulars who hardly miss. In fact, some come at the same time on other days of the week, too. ( I am almost a regular - I go almost once a week).

Three of the regulars are overweight and diabetic. They are all in their 60s - just like me. Two of the regulars have gout and one of those also has HBP.

by now everyone at the table knows that I am a crazy vegan. About once a year I give them a little lecture about how they can lose weight, get off insulin and Statins, just by changing their lifestyle. But to no avail. ( I once brought in the results of my physical as an AV aide.)

Then about two or three times a year, one of them says something like, "my wife wants me to try Keto. what do you think?"

"Ernie, why is Lou knocking his head on the table?"

I am sure we all have friends on shocking diets, even some vegans can be junk vegans.

What are some bad examples you have seen that you need to get off your chest?

I have to get this off my chest...
I have a family of friends that are all morbidly obese... when I say morbidly, I mean morbidly. Now they are finding that the best approach to lose weight is Keto... kill me now!
Breakfast is chocolate milk with 6 ts sugar, bc it’s not sweet enough.
Large amounts of milk and cupboard is filled with every flavour of crisps you can imagine. This is just to name a few.

I have stopped making suggestions, they don’t listen to me and get offended.
Oh gosh - that is so painful, and painfully sad on so many levels. I'm so sorry :'( I have watched people I know either die, get stints, go on medication, get surgery (quadruple bypass or stomach) -- and continue on, not changing *ANYTHING* in their diet. Literally nothing - let alone do I ever see anyone surrounding these people learn from their loved ones' experiences. It blows my mind and makes me sad. :(

My aunt and uncle were both obese, as well, when I was growing up and their house was FULL of every processed "food" snack one could possibly purchase at the grocery store. ALL the types of chips and at least a 1/2 dozen different types of boxed cookies, plus candy and a full variety of flavors and brands of gum -- and that was just the beginning. My aunt called me one of those "weird vegetarians" when I was 27 (I was pescatarian, but it wasn't worth the time and energy explaining it to her). She passed away about 10 yrs ago from cancer. I believe she was in her mid-50s.

Sometimes I feel like they're "spiking the 'food'"... (Note that 'food' is in quotes.) o_O

Reactions: betiPT
I used to be the one eating a shocking diet. Six eggs with cheese and sausage for breakfast, a family size bag of potato chips before lunch, 2 or 3 16oz energy drinks a day, stoned all day and smoking cigarettes off and on. A whole pint of ice cream was a single-sitting dessert.

Cycling and climbing kept me outwardly fit, but I'm sure I was headed for serious health issues long term. Changing jobs from a really stressful environment to a super chill one helped me make some big changes, including going vegan.

Oh gosh - that is so painful, and painfully sad on so many levels. I'm so sorry :'( I have watched people I know either die, get stints, go on medication, get surgery (quadruple bypass or stomach) -- and continue on, not changing *ANYTHING* in their diet. Literally nothing - let alone do I ever see anyone surrounding these people learn from their loved ones' experiences. It blows my mind and makes me sad. :(

My aunt and uncle were both obese, as well, when I was growing up and their house was FULL of every processed "food" snack one could possibly purchase at the grocery store. ALL the types of chips and at least a 1/2 dozen different types of boxed cookies, plus candy and a full variety of flavors and brands of gum -- and that was just the beginning. My aunt called me one of those "weird vegetarians" when I was 27 (I was pescatarian, but it wasn't worth the time and energy explaining it to her). She passed away about 10 yrs ago from cancer. I believe she was in her mid-50s.

Sometimes I feel like they're "spiking the 'food'"... (Note that 'food' is in quotes.) o_O
To top it off, another family friend died this week from heart disease... he was in his 40s! What makes me mad is that there is so little understanding how this is a lifestyle disease! When I try to explain it to people they dismiss me... specifically talking about my mother now.

And the family I mentioned in the first post have commenced their journey with amputations... but they are calling it a ‘sore that never healed’ rather than gangrene. What makes me sad is that I love these people, and they are literally killing themselves.