Friend played cruel joke

It’s interesting that there is a divide on approaching HR. I think this basically comes down to where you live and cultural approach to HR.

Where I live, I feel as though HR is there to protect the business and management, not its people.

I only approach HR if their systems are down and I cannot get the right info in as I will be reprimanded. If I approached them with anything of this nature, ie food adulteration, I would definitely have a red mark placed next to my name.

In saying all this, I am sure HR would take it seriously if it was a religious issue, eg pig meat in a Muslim’s food.

TLDR Depending on your culture you may approach HR.

It’s interesting that there is a divide on approaching HR. I think this basically comes down to where you live and cultural approach to HR.

Where I live, I feel as though HR is there to protect the business and management, not its people.

I only approach HR if their systems are down and I cannot get the right info in as I will be reprimanded. If I approached them with anything of this nature, ie food adulteration, I would definitely have a red mark placed next to my name.

In saying all this, I am sure HR would take it seriously if it was a religious issue, eg pig meat in a Muslim’s food.

TLDR Depending on your culture you may approach HR.
Maybe it is cultural, I don't know. Most places I have worked it was very clearly spelled out how we were expected to handle issues with fellow employees. They *wanted* us to come to HR with an issue that we couldn't work out with someone. They explicitly stated in the employee handbook that that is what HR was there for, was to help resolve employee issues in the workplace. What they did not want was people gossiping and complaining to other employees about people (or worse, going to the CEO or someone similarly inappropriate - that actually happened recently at my work, no joke - a couple of dudes who couldn't get along and had to be separated. Grown men. So ridiculous!).

Reactions: Lou
Maybe it is cultural, I don't know. Most places I have worked it was very clearly spelled out how we were expected to handle issues with fellow employees. They *wanted* us to come to HR with an issue that we couldn't work out with someone. They explicitly stated in the employee handbook that that is what HR was there for, was to help resolve employee issues in the workplace. What they did not want was people gossiping and complaining to other employees about people (or worse, going to the CEO or someone similarly inappropriate - that actually happened recently at my work, no joke - a couple of dudes who couldn't get along and had to be separated. Grown men. So ridiculous!).

It IS cultural. In some workplaces, Pranking is not only tolerated but almost encouraged. In other places, there is no tolerance for it.

I think we have all heard the story of the guy who kept eating other people's food out of the frig. So one guy makes chocolate laxative brownies. Put a big sign on them, "These are mine. Not for you. they are special. Please don't eat".

Rough justice.

It IS cultural. In some workplaces, Pranking is not only tolerated but almost encouraged. In other places, there is no tolerance for it.

I think we have all heard the story of the guy who kept eating other people's food out of the frig. So one guy makes chocolate laxative brownies. Put a big sign on them, "These are mine. Not for you. they are special. Please don't eat".

Rough justice.
You know - I lied - it's actually does just depend what company it is and what kind of business it is, sad to say. In my experience, the larger the business, the more careful they seem to be, and vice versa. If you work in a small restaurant, there is no "HR department," you tend to (sadly) *put up with* more BS/harassment, etc. I guess I'm just so glad I'm not in the restaurant industry anymore that it totally slipped my mind. (Doesn't make it right, though.)

I don't think there is ANY correlation with the size of the company. Just take sexual harassment and discrimination as a category which also gets a lot of headlines. Uber may be one of the best examples. Allied Security is another. The armed forces. FOX, NPR..... My memory is no longer capable of recalling things like this but I probably could come up with a dozen more big companies that are in big trouble off the top of my head if I still had all of my brain cells.

Of course, there are issues at small companies. but they rarely make the headlines.

I think it all has to do with the virtuousness of the person on top. If the owner of the small independent restaurant won't put up with any of that kind of **** then there won't be any kind of **** taking place. Actually, virtuousness is too strong a word. How about, If the person on top is not a scum bag. Ok, maybe that is too strong the other way. Maybe a 5 on the Virtuousness Scale.

If the PTBs of a large company are permissive or enabling or even part of the problem then the issues will not get resolved without an outside force. If the PTB of a small company is like that.... oh.... same thing.

Don't turn being vegan into a religion, it is nothing like being a Muslim or devout Jew, it is a life-choice not a belief. We are adults and should be able to deal with one to one situations on our own, not make it into a crusade. Don't manipulate my veganism to promote your own agenda. Grow up.