Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

Hmm, there is a fair amount of liquid in the recipe I use. A cup of veggie broth, I believe, plus some soy sauce, for four links. I think that helps, though they aren't super moist, but I actually like the texture and whatnot. I thought they might be rubbery, but they aren't.

I think that it is the method which makes them dryer. I just made a another batch using the simmering method and the sausages are really much moister. I will certainly try the foil method once again.

Last edited:
I think that it is the method which makes them dryer. I just made a another batch using the simmering method and the sausages are really much moister. I will certainly try the foil method once again.
Ah, OK. I guess it depends on the level of moisture desired. I could try your method to see how they come out. :) They are very squishy and loose when I shape them, so I am wondering how they would hold up shape-wise using the simmer method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wrap sausages in foil and either bake over a broil rack with water on the bottom, or on a rack in a steamer. I don't think they're dry that way. The dough itself is a bit wetter than what I make if simmering though.
Lately I've been putting seitan in small loaves in a casserole, covered in broth, and covered with foil, and baked.

@shyvas- how do you do your Lincolnshire sausages?

I use wheat gluten, Lupino flour (or soya ) yeast flakes, ground sage, ground onion, ground coriander, ground mace, smoked paprika, ground thyme, black pepper, Lo Salt, olive oil and water.

The actual flavour and texture is delicious. However, I find that the simmering method makes the sausages much moister.

I made sausages the other day. I wanted to use up some of the pintos I'd cooked. I had the gluten, all the spices, the broth made--then I went for the beans-gone! Luckily I had a pack of silken tofu so I mashed that up really well. I think I do like tofu in sausage more than beans!
I wrapped in foil and used my Instant Pot on steam for 40 minutes- regular time because they're wrapped.
That Pot is amazing! :)

@silva How much tofu did you use for the recipe?
I followed Isa's Italian sausage recipe which calls for 1/2 mashed beans, so I used 1/2 cup silken tofu. I've used tofu before, but not since my immersion blender died. I mashed it and added the broth and oil together

I followed Isa's Italian sausage recipe which calls for 1/2 mashed beans, so I used 1/2 cup silken tofu. I've used tofu before, but not since my immersion blender died. I mashed it and added the broth and oil together
Thank you! I think that's the recipe I use as well.

I've just made a batch of steamed white seitan. I stocked up with various seasonings that I bought in the US.

They certainly make a difference to the end result when making seitan. Morover, they are quite inexpensive over there.

I'm planning to freeze half of the batch so that I can make chili and cottage pie next week.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I stumbled across this seitan recipe some time ago. As the writer does not use wheat gluten but flour, I was wondering what the end result tastes like ; especially the texture and taste.

Has anybody tried to make seitan whiteout wheat gluten ? I think that I will give this recipe a try using ww flour.

How to Make Seitan at Home: A DIY Seitan Recipe by Vegan Chef Avi-jean Levy

Just came across this thread and had to this one--if I hadn't already, it's a favorite!
Mushroom Seitan Roast | Recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen
(I now use my Instant Pot-one cup water on bottom, foil wrapped loaf, 75 min, natural pressure release)

So you used your Instant Pot for this recipe? I'm always looking for new ways to use mine, and I never used it for seitan yet. Very interesting!

So you used your Instant Pot for this recipe? I'm always looking for new ways to use mine, and I never used it for seitan yet. Very interesting!
Only to cook the jackfruit for 3 min pressure, npr and then transfered to mixing bowl, let cool, then shredded and added the gluten. I mixed all the wet's in a measuring cup then added after mixing jackfruit and gluten.
I found I just use this as a guide- I kinda combine two recipes and add 1/4 cup peanut butter to wet, and use 1.25 gluten. It's really forgiving!

Reactions: Mel
Today I made seitan for buffalo nuggets. I like my other recipe using the simmering method, but sometimes the texture isn't great (it's sometimes tricky to get the simmer just right). So I used this recipe and I baked it in broth as instructed. I loved how it came out. It was dense, but very tender and not rubbery at all. And the recipe used tahini instead of soy sauce. I love the flavor. This recipe would make nice seitan steaks as well, I think. All I would have to do is change up the spices a bit. I can't wait to make the nuggets on Sunday. :) I made my buffalo sauce already, so all I have to do is fry up the nuggets.

Reactions: KLS52
Today I made seitan for buffalo nuggets. I like my other recipe using the simmering method, but sometimes the texture isn't great (it's sometimes tricky to get the simmer just right). So I used this recipe and I baked it in broth as instructed. I loved how it came out. It was dense, but very tender and not rubbery at all. And the recipe used tahini instead of soy sauce. I love the flavor. This recipe would make nice seitan steaks as well, I think. All I would have to do is change up the spices a bit. I can't wait to make the nuggets on Sunday. :) I made my buffalo sauce already, so all I have to do is fry up the nuggets.

I also like experimenting especially when it comes to seitan. I would like to try bakes seitan but can't justify using my oven when the simmering method suits me. Such a shame.
I also like the idea of adding a nut butter for extra moisture and taste. This reminds me that I have to make another batch of seitan. I was thinking of making Bosh's seitan steaks. :p

Re buffalo nuggets; do you make your own sauce ?

I also like experimenting especially when it comes to seitan. I would like to try bakes seitan but can't justify using my oven when the simmering method suits me. Such a shame.
I also like the idea of adding a nut butter for extra moisture and taste. This reminds me that I have to make another batch of seitan. I was thinking of making Bosh's seitan steaks. :p

Re buffalo nuggets; do you make your own sauce ?
You must be a master at simmering because your seitan always looks great! Yes, I do make my own buffalo sauce with hot sauce, vinegar, vegan butter, garlic powder and vegan Worcestershire sauce.

You must be a master at simmering because your seitan always looks great! Yes, I do make my own buffalo sauce with hot sauce, vinegar, vegan butter, garlic powder and vegan Worcestershire sauce.

Thank you for the kind compliment. My food doesn't look half as good as yours. :D

It's good to know that you make your own sauces. They are always so much tastier and cheaper than bottled ones. I'm always amazed by consumers buying ready made sauces and dressings.

I couldn't live without seitan and make it to my liking. I do find that the simmered method makes a moist but with quite a firm texture. I really wold like to make a roast one though.