South Florida travel

Trinity

YES!
Reaction score
Anyone here from Florida?
I'll be going on a two week trip next week :) Rather exciting. I wondered if anyone has any tips for vegan travel there...
My first week will be working - catering for a group of people (delicious vegan food of course) and then I am taking a whole week for vacation. Flying in and out of Tampa, going to Palm Harbor and then after that, anywhere I like.

Ayway, if anyone has any insight into this place, I'd love to hear.

Anyone here from Florida?
I'll be going on a two week trip next week :) Rather exciting. I wondered if anyone has any tips for vegan travel there...
My first week will be working - catering for a group of people (delicious vegan food of course) and then I am taking a whole week for vacation. Flying in and out of Tampa, going to Palm Harbor and then after that, anywhere I like.

Ayway, if anyone has any insight into this place, I'd love to hear.

I live in Tampa, too! Make sure you hit the beach while you're here! Honeymoon Island is great old Florida, you have to take a ferry to the island beach, you can camp, and they have little bbq grills you can use. Also Ft Desoto beach is beautiful (and parts of it are clothing optional, I believe, but i haven't been to that section. St Pete Beach/Treasure Island is easy to get to and nice to watch the sunset over, great for kids, plus some beach bars. ;)

Are you a runner, biker, skater? Bayshore Boulevard in downtownTampa is a spectacular long run by the bay. Busch Gardens is a fun theme park with great roller coasters and at night Hallowscream, a scary haunted park thing at this time of year. BG does have animals there including primates, elephants, and a white tiger breeding program.

The Salvatore Dali museum in St Petersburg, just across the bridge, is fantastic.

There's a ticky tacky fun flea market in Oldsmar near Palm Harbor on weekends. There's some nice produce there as well.

If you like ice hockey, our Tampa Bay Lightning arena is spectaular. A really fun experience.

Tons of craft breweries here with tours, too, that are fun. Cigar City brewery has a brewery/restaurant on north Tampa that has some vegan offerings.

There's a yummy loving Hut in a ghettoish area, also a dive called Taco Bus with fabulous cheap Mexican food, lots of vegan options. A Magic Mushroom restaurant for vegan pizza that's out of this world.

I live in the Orlando/Daytona Beach area. Orlando has a thriving veg community. Ethos Vegan Kitchen: Ethos Vegan Kitchen, Orlando, FL - Welcome is an award winning vegan restaurant in Winter Park which is a suburb of Orlando. I highly recommend it! There are several other vegan eateries also including a Loving Hut. There are also options on the East Coast's most famous beach! Kale Cafe | Juice Bar Vegan Cuisine
Of course the Orlando area boasts all the theme parks if you are into that sort of thing. :D

Thank you so so much ledboots! That's loads of great info...

I live in Tampa, too! Make sure you hit the beach while you're here! Honeymoon Island is great old Florida, you have to take a ferry to the island beach, you can camp, and they have little bbq grills you can use.

I heard someone else mention Honeymoon Island as a great spot. Can you just go over for a day trip? I am not going to have camping gear with me.

I really appreciate all the tips:thanks:

Reactions: ledboots
Hi Chryssie, I was originally going to fly in and out of Orlando... but change it to Tampa. It's awesome to know that there are such great vegan options available there. I had no idea.

Kale Cafe sounds great! I'll check it out. Will be fun to see where I end up.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Thank you so so much ledboots! That's loads of great info...

I heard someone else mention Honeymoon Island as a great spot. Can you just go over for a day trip? I am not going to have camping gear with me.

I really appreciate all the tips:thanks:
This is really nice, and not far from Palm harbor. Caldesi island, a short ferry ride from Dog Beach. Caladesi Island Ferry Home - Caladesi Island Ferry
Here's a coupon i found :)
8a2db3a0336ae6a6712ac07a7b4e1fc5.jpg

Reactions: Trinity
I keep hearing the name Anna Maria Island and am rather drawn to a bit of beach relaxation. Has anyone elver been there OR can recommend somewhere on the Mexican Gulf side, that is a great place to chill out? I am feeling the pull :)

Anna Maria island is lovely. I gave not been there in a while. We tend to go to Madeira beach and hang out on john's pass. My sister has a place we stay there. There a quite a few bars, restaurants and a nice beach.

I keep hearing the name Anna Maria Island and am rather drawn to a bit of beach relaxation. Has anyone elver been there OR can recommend somewhere on the Mexican Gulf side, that is a great place to chill out? I am feeling the pull :)
I agree with SB ^^^ There are beautiful sand dollars there all over the beach (dried ones, the wet ones are live.) I have a sand dollar the size of a salad plate from Anna Maria Island. Sunsets over the water unbelievable!

There are lots of little vacation rentals, some right on the beach, fully stocked with kitchen stuff, etc. The water gets cold in the winter, but the beach sand is like baby powder year round.

There's a million places to stay, mostly little homes or duplexes rather than hotels. Anna Maria Island Vacation Rentals from $99.00 - Beach Rentals in Anna Maria Island, FL | FlipKey

Longboat Key is kind of near Ana Maria, but more expensive, or used to be (haven't been to Longboat in a long time.)

I was curious as to what a live sand dollar looked like and found this. It looks and sounds like they're covered in hundreds of tiny legs, pretty cool. Weird that they call the dead skeletons a test, wonder why.
Take-The-Test-Tybee-Sand-Dollars-Tybee-Marine-Science-Center2-350x350.png
704bc2869b4209580d8fc9a4a3be1820.jpg

This sounds awesome. Never heard of sand dollars either... lots of new wildlife to I imagine too.

I really thought I'd be renting a cabin in a national park or something, but ahhhhh, I can feel that power white sand on my feet already. I've spent a lot of time in Hawaii over the years and nothing beats a warm sandy beach for relaxing.

I had no idea that sand dollars were living creatures. [emoji33]