Feeding your Pets

MyDigitalpoint

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
I don't have any pet really, but a friend of mine was curious to know what to do know.

She is just starting her transition to a healthy living by becoming vegan, but now she's scare about how this fact is going to affect her little Shar-Pei dog "Licoretta"

According to her, most canned/packed dog foods come with a ration of meat protein, and she's going insane trying to find vegan food for pets.

Does anyone know if such a food exists?

Whether yes or not, what would be your recommendations to feed a pet so I can share them with her?

I don't have any pet really, but a friend of mine was curious to know what to do know.

She is just starting her transition to a healthy living by becoming vegan, but now she's scare about how this fact is going to affect her little Shar-Pei dog "Licoretta"

According to her, most canned/packed dog foods come with a ration of meat protein, and she's going insane trying to find vegan food for pets.

Whether yes or not, what would be your recommendations to feed a pet so I can share them with her?

http://www.peta.org/issues/companio...-animals-factsheets/meatless-meals-dogs-cats/

I found this factsheet from the PETA website - the main part I noted was this part:

"Many vegetarians and vegans feed healthful, meatless diets to their companion animals. One remarkable example is that of Bramble, a border collie whose vegan diet of rice, lentils, and organic vegetables contributed to a nearly record-breaking lifespan of at least 27 years."

Rice, lentils and veggies sounds delish - I really should look at doing that for my pets since we always have those foods at home anyway. In fact we'd probably save money rather than buying commercial pet food.

Commercial pet food is terrible for animals. Vegan dog owners are lucky, they can transition their dogs to a healthful vegan diet, but us cat owners have to continue to buy our pets animal products and it breaks my heart. My cats were here before I went vegan and they're staying until they die, so it's my job to make sure they get everything they need. Just in case someone comes into this thread thinking they can feed any pet a vegan diet.. cats are carnivores through and through.

As for dogs, there are plenty of vegan pet owner sites specifically for dogs and how to transition them and the types of diets or brands you can switch them to. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I'm sure a quick google search will help you and so will anyone with experience here. Good luck :)

Thanks for both of your input. I didn't know cats are carnivorous by nature and this is a good point to keep in mind, particularly because bringing home a cat is something I have been thinking of.

On the other hand never thought that something so delicious as lentils could serve to feed a dog. I love lentils so my friend too! I'm going to share these tips with her :)

Now that you mention this, and if memory serves me good, think to remember there was an pet food alert some time back about alarming findings on the procedure or content of some packaged food that could cause health problems to pets eating such products.

If processed food is bad for humans, it's probably more harmful for animals, don't you think?

Do not ever give your pets a vegan diet. If you actually loved them you would give them meat. Humans can handle not eating meat, dogs and cats will get super sick.
I'm vegan but I would never force this lifestyle on my dog.

Reactions: Rainey
well pleased to say both my dogs are hyper energetic vegan dogs, they were vegetarian for most of their lives after dscovering stomach ulcers in one of them that meat is high risk cancer for. both love all kinds of natural nuts and fruits etc that i eat. having discovered thousands of dogs have been vegan healthily for all their lives i didn't see why i should pander to myth that my dogs are wolves who also ate berries etc in fact and anyway dogs pets are not wild animals that could survive in the wild well they have been engineered by us humans for our pleasures so to my mind i don't see why my luxuries should eat other animals since they only exist to please me as pets. since it would involve immense cruelty to other animals to be born in aweful conditions to be ground up alive etc to feed my dogs unnecessarily since they like others do very well without meat at all. i myself ate meat fooled into thinking it was necessary to healthy existance forgetting billions of humans never ate meat for centuries and did fine. dogs, cats as pets do not need meat meaning cruelty to other anmals to live. having discovered this debunked myth and seen it in practice in my high energy dogs no way are they having anything to eat that involved cruelty and death to other animals. these are pets bred to be pets wolves do not exist in the uk anymore than fairy tales. 8 million pet dogs would cause hundreds of millions of cruelty and deaths to other animals unnecessarly is the reality to me. they do not need to eat animals period. 30 ducks or chickens per year per dog at least spared being born to suffer.

Reactions: Naturebound
Do not ever give your pets a vegan diet. If you actually loved them you would give them meat. Humans can handle not eating meat, dogs and cats will get super sick.
I'm vegan but I would never force this lifestyle on my dog.
I totally agree with you, I am vegan but that is my choice, my animals still eat meat - I do think it is unfair on them not to have it.

My dog is on Orijen which is the best for him. If you want a vegan pet id suggest you get a miniature goat since they are vegans as well or a bird.

I've had my French poodle Dee Dee 18 years. In the first years we gave her commercial food, but she had really big health problems with her kidneys. One day we started to cook for her two types of meal 1. Cooked fish with rice (without salt and herbs) 2. Cooked chicken with carrots and potatoes (in the same pot without salt and herbs). After changing her diet we never visited vet. Now I also cook chicken and fish for my cat and give her dry food once a day. Yes I am a vegan but I don't want my animals to suffer because I don't eat meat.

Hi
Vegan dog food does exist. There are these foods listed here http://urbanvegan.net/dog-food/ (I also think Yarrah dog foods could be vegan, and there is one called Benevo, or something like that).
However, I have been told that dogs can suffer on a vegan diet. Although dogs can eat plant-based foods, they are naturally designed to eat meat as well. They are omnivores. They often eat diets that contain both plant and animal-derived foods. This is something that your friend should research thoroughly before deciding whether or not to feed Licoretta on a wholly vegan diet. Perhaps you could help her with this (?)

No one here seems to be aware of BRAMBLE ! astonishing. vegans unaware of the Guinness World Book of Records Book in 2002 longest lived dog then ! VEGAN ! 25 years old fed on home made veggies ! like most peasants hunting dogs have been for decades I add.

It is a "modern" phenomenon to buy dog and catfood.

For decades and still now...hunting dogs we kept and others still keep...get fed not MEAT but boiled veggies pastas etc ! people in the country with hunting dogs do not feed their huskies laikas etc meat ! that is expensive and wasted on hunting dogs.

Super fit...fast obviously as hunting dogs need high energy

My MODERN fancy breed dogs...like my cat...were fed bought flesh content foods...what a mistake that was.

It is Poison...giving DEATH and CRUELTY to dogs and cats is ridiculous and unnecessary . especially for vegans.

Cancers...antibiotics...low grade below human flesh etc. it is all unhealthy besides cruel.

My relatives LAUGHED at me...more money than sense they said.

Then my female dog got stomac ulcers...vet said go vegan the acidity in stomac is the issue...and now both my dogs are fed vegan kibble and super healthy. no more stomac ulcers.

There are thousands of long lived healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. BRAMBLE is the most famous of course.

Hope this is informative as i am astonished that vegans do not know these things.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

Reactions: Kayte
I agree with Rory17, that dogs can suffer on a vegan diet. You can search for alternatives for dog food. You can see the top pet products and find something suitable.

obviously no evidence produced to show any vegan dogs or cats have suffered from healthy well prepared vegan diets anymore than humans have. there are plenty long lived healthy vegan cats and dogs around who have lived full lives on vegan foods. it is not vegan for humans to breed and kill animals to feed another animal. it is unnatural. and cruel. not vegan. there are plenty links to the suppliers of health vegan petfoods for cats dogs and ferrets. http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

my healthy vegan dogs and cat are doing just fine. vet blood tests excellent. There is no "forcing" any food involved food is presented it is eaten. simple. we "force" everything on "pets" like living in houses, collars and leads...food ? is the least of the forcing of a lifestyle a dog or cat would choose for itself if living wild and free. we would not even be FEEDING an adult animal or another species of animal if we were not "forcing" our lifestyle wishes on other animals. exocet energy vegan belgian shepherd groenendael dogs talacre beach wales cymru.jpg astr.jpg