Favorite meat substitute products

turtledove

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Sometimes, some meals just require something with a meat-like texture, or at times you just need to have the protein! I absolutely love Quorn for these types of recipes. Many people dislike Quorn, as they find the texture quite odd. However, since I've always been vegetarian, I don't know what meat actually tastes like, so Quorn is pretty good for me! I also recently found some Linda McCartney veggie sausages, which were really lovely too.

Which meat substitute products do you like using?

I do like quorn but it does depend how you buy it. The main issue for me is flavoring as it can be quite bland, so I use seasoning and sauces with it. It is good with stir fries, though I don't like the quorn sausages as much as the Cauldron ones. These days not everywhere stocks them, but they are much better than the quorn branded ones, even if they have spices and added ingredients.

Supermarkets have their own generic soya based sausages which are good. I recommend the Tesco Cumberland ones in the frozen section.

I'm okay with textured soya whether with flavored or not because I mostly use it to give a dish that special touch that make it different the next time it is served.

I rarely used a meat substitute as sole ingredient for a main dish though.

When I decided I wanted a much more healthier lifestyle I tried to not buy as much food at the grocer's and just go directly to the farmer's market. So none of that Quorn's for me but I still recommend it though for fast processing. I buy a lot of mushrooms, a variety of nuts and tofu for my meat substitutes.