fast food chains

• Thread starter Deleted member 12226
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12226

When I see long lines out of places like Arby's, and McDonalds...I feel sad. I try not to be judgmental but it's almost hard for me to believe these places still exist in this day and age. I could say because they are cheap but I don't think they even are cheap anymore. Is there anybody else out there that feels this way? So many people say because it is convienient but I don't see how this could be a good reason. There's lots of convenient food you can buy at the grocery store that is healthier and doesn't take all that long to make.

Reactions: Amy SF
yes, it is hard not to be judgmental and I think it just that everyone has gotten into the habit or going there, partially for convenience, partially for community, partially because they appear 'trustworthy' as in you know what you will get - we used to go to Tim Hortons when we travelled and we would get coffee, of course, donuts and bagels with cheese - once we went vegan then we did still stop for coffee and then would eat what I packed for us to eat on the road - so much less expensive, easier and good for us, the animals and the planet

I did go to a fast food place A&W a couple of weeks ago, to be supportive of their new vegan product, I will not be going again anytime soon.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
Big difference in a last minute decision to pull in a drive thru and a grocery store, regardless of being ready to eat.
I don't feel any more judgmental than I do about any animal products. While the food isn't health promoting, for many it's a limited thing, I'm not about judge those decisions
I would love a vegan fast food place, and I don't mean plant based. I mean Popeyes fried seitan. :drool: Or Mr. Seitan

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
My gym is next door to a Subway. I would go to the gym in the morning and about once a week I would go to Subway for a Veggie Delite. I pretty much stopped for a while and then they reduced the price of the veggie delite so I started up again. although my gym is open again I haven't started going back to the gym or Subway.

When ever a fast place food adds something vegan to the menu I go there for "support". Like Emma it's pretty much a one -time deal. Although occasionally I go to Burger King on Wednesdays for their $2 Impossilbe Whopper.

There is a documentary called Fast Food Nation. Its based on a book with the same name. BTW the book is excellent and a Must-Read. The movie is just so-so.

I was thinking there was a scene it that I thought was noteworthy but on further reflection it wasn't that movie. ... Maybe it was In Defense of Food. Anyway the scene is inside a car. There is a family of four, in the car. BTW, they are hispanic. Anyway they are eating their Mcdonald's breakfasts they got at the drive thru. And they are being interviewed at the same time. Dad is driving the kids to school and then mom to her job before he goes to his first (of two) jobs. Their thing is all about timing. and money. Although I think there are alternatives to eating fast food in the car, its clear that they don't know of them or have the time, money, or knowledge to be able to implement them.

Its sort of fast food being a symptom of social injustice.

Reactions: Emma JC
So since I wrote the above post I've switched gyms and now I don't go to Subway anymore. Mostly I went there for the convienence of stopping there after a workout. But I always hated paying ham and cheese prices for a sandwich without ham and cheese.

oh and I don't know if its inflation or an error on my part - but Burger King's whopper Wednesday is $3 not 2. I've been hiking every Wednesday morning and sometimes stop at the drive in. You have to order online so I use my phone in their parking lot and then drive on thru. I just get the burger but once or twice a year I've accumulated enough points for some free fries.

WE do have a Jersey Mike's nearby. When it first opened I got a coupon and went there for a sandwich. I don't remember what I got but it was probably something similar to Subways Veggie Delite. The regular price was too high and I never went back.

But I might now.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15