Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Gentleman

Forum Novice
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, I just thought we should start making a list of obvious fake celebrity Vegans & Vegetarians to keep track (the ones who really contradict themselves.)
Here's a few, you can add more if you spot them. Otherwise I can't see the point of them trying to make it look like they are unless they're out to trick everyone.
It would be worth keeping a recording if you catch them on TV. I wish I had the clips or quotes now but here's a few off the top of my head:
• Nick Knowles -one minute he's Vegan, the next minute he's enthusiastically eating meat in the jungle I seem to remember.
• Mo Farah -the same again I think even though qworn™ throw all their money at him.
• Storm Huntley -I remember when she was a vegan saying something idiotic like Double Decker or Boost was her favourite chocolate bar, (it was definitely milk chocolate whatever it was) then she seemed to keep changing between vegan & vegetarian. Then when she was a vegetarian I'm sure she said how she loves her mothers fish soup!
• Dalai Lama -I remember him saying he eats meat once a week for some reason but I doubt he really needs to.
• Sara Pascoe -always trying to sell herself as a vegan yet I swear she eat a bowl of ice cream on Taskmaster out of the blue, no questions asked. She also claims she used to be a compulsive liar.
• Romesh Ranganathan -I remember him saying something like someone made a cake for him at restaurant which he knew wasn't vegan but he ate it anyway, I think it might have been on Graham Norton or another chat show. Another thing I can't understand is what he eats on all those programs where they dump him in the wilderness because either he's fake or the programs are.
• Jon Richardson -another comedian who really wants you to know their a vegan only to keep changing their mind, I can't remember what he said or ate because he's quite dull but I think every now & then he eats something he's not supposed to on countdown.
• Natalie Portman -always strikes me as a bit fake, I'm sure Dior tests the perfume on animals before they deposit 'x' million into her bank account for the ads.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

When I first read your post I thought I should ignore it. It really rubs me the wrong way. But then I thought that there are a lot of vegans who think like you do. And I'm sure they will read your post and then add to it. So I'm going to write a reply hoping that its the last reply you get. That said I hope you come back and create a different thread that we can agree on.

In a way what your post is an (inadvertent?) attempt to shame people for not being vegan enough. When I first joined this forum I was called "not vegan enough", and it really hurt my feelings. So maybe I'm sensitive. I emphasize with the people on your list.

I should admit right off that I have no idea who any one of the people on your list is but Natalie Portman and the Dalai Lama. So maybe some of them are not good vegans. But I don't think that makes them worthy of your scorn.

I think I'm a lucky vegan in that to no credit to myself I was influenced by some very good ideas. One of those ideas was an essay by Peter Singer about Personal Purity vs Effective Advocacy. ( I would include a link to it but I can't find it anywhere - maybe I read it in a book?). One of the ideas promoted is that the best way to reduce the amount of cruelty in the world is not by going from 90% vegan to 95%. but by improving awareness in other people.

Peter Singer isn't on your list. But you might as well put him on it. He has admitted in interviews that he is not completely vegan and when traveling eats the food that is convenient. So maybe he could be a few percent more vegan. However I just checked and Animal Liberation has sold a half million copies. How many people have read and been influenced by his other books, essays, documentaries, and TV and radio appearance is impossible to say. I think we can take it for granted that he has done a lot more to reduce animal cruelty than even the most personal pure vegan you know.

Natalie Portman is one of the people I know about who is on your list. And she has admitted that when she was pregnant she stopped being vegan. She remained vegetarian. I don't know how much milk and eggs she included in her diet but I got the impression from one of her interview that it was mostly that she couldn't say no to cookies.

Her YouTube video that promotes veganism has been viewed 500,000 times. She produced and narrated the documentary Eating Animals, and made a pro vegan speech to 16,000 students.

The point I am hoping to make here is that it would be better not to criticize people for their imperfections but to celebrate the good that they do. Its all about reducing cruelty.

Well, I like to know because its corrupt and its odd how there's not so many genuine ones compared to the ones that are sold to you like their a thing for you to watch. Many of them do it just to get attention, make money or deceive the public, some are being used as puppets. Some might just be a bit dim.
I've met too many veggie fraudsters in my time. I just want a simple list of who not to trust.
Remember I say the ones who are obvious. You don't have to watch people like a hawk, just warn others when it turns out their lying.

Chris Packham's another one I find odd, I only just saw him the other day on a program feeding his dogs sausages. I remember when he was asked about being a vegan once they couldn't get a straight forward answer out of him.

Last edited:
Well, I like to know because its corrupt and its odd how there's not so many genuine ones compared to the ones that are sold to you like their a thing for you to watch. Many of them do it just to get attention, make money or deceive the public, some are being used as puppets. Some might just be a bit dim.
I've met too many veggie fraudsters in my time. I just want a simple list of who not to trust.
Remember I say the ones who are obvious. You don't have to watch people like a hawk, just warn others when it turns out their lying
and your goal would be.....to prove veganism is really just a fraud and people shouldn't pay any attention when it's promoted? That being vegan is so hard even celebrities can't maintain that lifestyle? That people who call themselves vegan should be watched and called out if caught with something suspect?
How long have you been vegan? Well, if you're really vegan..... :shrug:, we can't really know as all we have is your word.
How many people enjoy talking to you about veganism, how many have you led to change their opinions?
Personal purity doesn't change mindsets, and it certainly doesn't help animals.
Like Lou, I only recognize the Dalai Lama and Natalie Portman. I've never heard anyone say there opinions on veganism has led them to have a negative outlook. Your agenda of 'calling out' 'fake' vegans on the other hand, would most definitely cause a negative outlook towards vegans.

Yeah, call them all them all out! Make them say how stupid it was, trying to be vegan and promoting a vegan life to their followers!
Perfect or nothing!

Reactions: Emma JC
Yeah, call them all them all out! Make them say how stupid it was, trying to be vegan and promoting a vegan life to their followers!
Perfect or nothing!
I'm sorry, I read the label and it said this was a vegan forum not a pescetarian forum. Can anyone recommend some genuine vegan forums and I'll make my lists there too. Thanks :)

Nice work Lou! Put Peter Singer on the list and don't forget Hitler was a phoney veggie too... but those Nazi uniforms were so cool!
I know what you mean guys, it's hard not giving unconditional love to your idols just because they say their a vegan or vegetarian.
Not!

I remember now Natalie Portman doing that. You know it could have just been some guy who viewed YouTube video 500,000 times because he liked her in Léon. Only joking! I love her really.

I'm sorry, I read the label and it said this was a vegan forum not a pescetarian forum. Can anyone recommend some genuine vegan forums and I'll make my lists there too. Thanks :)
I judge vegans by their commitment to animal advocacy and you've displayed a mindset that makes that untenable.
You therefore, are a fake vegan

Witch hunts never workout for the good. Fakeness sucks yes. Instead of calling people out for being fake, how about praise the ones that are genuine. Makes more sense and doesn't give the attention vampires any energy. Celebs make their own beds and they sleep in them. Personally IDGAFF about celebs or what they do. It's not like we can influence or change them or anyone else. Only self insight can do that. The entire Cancel Culture /Woke concept is a joke. Work on yourself. Everyone should just work on themselves. Trying to change others doesn't work. Human psychology and Ego barriers won't allow change. People that are taking strides are at least leveling up even if they aren't all the way there yet. I'm not the highest level. Pretty sure guitars have glue and I'm assuming mother of pearl if not mother of toilet set standard in instruments. Brands not being fully adapted. Meanwhile life is expiring. People do what they can for the moment, striving to perfection.

You can think what you like, I just don't like watching people on TV who keep saying their vegans or vegetarians only to completely contradict it.
And for the 500th time, it's not a witch hunt! I don't know why people can't read properly.

Here we go again, at 11.12am today Storm Huntley on the Jeremy Vine show saying she genuinely thinks its a good idea to hide insects in school children's food when discussing a newspaper story... if that wasn't bad enough there was a guy praising the Queen with a huge Sex Pistols poster behind him featuring the defaced Queen's face, GOT IT ON VIDEO - FACT.
I'm sorry but there's a difference between people who have a habit of talking bullsh*t & people who genuinely slip up.

In my opinion, hypocrisy is a terrible thing. Some voices here write to give them a break as they promote a vegan lifestyle. I do not agree with this because I do not believe that the end justifies the means. At the same time, it gives fuel to vegan opponents on various forums, it is easy for them to point out their hypocrisy. I have encountered it more than once while discussing on Reddit, for example. I wish the vegan environment would be clean as a whistle and shine with example.

There's s few vegan forums I don't trust, they don't let anyone join and others do nothing about trolls. Vegan society definitions are quite strict about what is & isn't vegan, they should do more to check who runs them.

In my opinion, hypocrisy is a terrible thing. Some voices here write to give them a break as they promote a vegan lifestyle. I do not agree with this because I do not believe that the end justifies the means. At the same time, it gives fuel to vegan opponents on various forums, it is easy for them to point out their hypocrisy. I have encountered it more than once while discussing on Reddit, for example. I wish the vegan environment would be clean as a whistle and shine with example.
I still wish this thread would kick up its feet and die.

"Ends don't justify the means".

but I don't thing not being "vegan enough" falls into that category.

As any Utilitarian Philosopher would tell you it about the Greater Good.
Oh, wait. Pete Singer is a utilitarian. He probably made all that stuff up to cover up his hypocrisy for not eating vegan when he is traveling. Forget about all his promotion of veganism. Obviously his personal purity is what counts.

Natalie Portman ate non-vegan cookies when she was pregnant. Obviously she is not vegan enough. Even though she has spread the vegan message to ten (hundreds?) of thousands of people.

There's s few vegan forums I don't trust, they don't let anyone join and others do nothing about trolls. Vegan society definitions are quite strict about what is & isn't vegan, they should do more to check who runs them.
Vegan society definitions are changed more often than my socks!

Status
Not open for further replies.