Exclusively WFPB Nursing Homes

Should there be nursing homes that offer exclusively WFPB/vegan food?

• Yes, considering the evidence that it benefits patient health.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No, it infringes on freedom of choice for the patient.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vegan89

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
For those not aware, there are tremendous health benefits to a whole food plant-based diet. (See books like The China Study or websites like nutritionfacts.org for those who aren't aware).

When I see patients in nursing homes, unless I'm mistaken, the institution and family make medical decisions for the patient in cases where the patient has dementia, Alzheimers, or some similar issues that stop them from functioning properly... perhaps in consultation with a doctor or nurse... administering drugs and that sort of thing in a nursing home setting.

Bearing this in mind, and the tremendous healing power of a whole food plant-based diet, does it seem ethical to have nursing homes that mandate patients consume a whole food plant-based diet (vegan, essentially) in order to keep them healthy?

If it's ethical for nursing homes to give a patient drugs regardless of what the patient thinks of it under some circumstances because of the medical benefits of the drug; why would it be unethical to have nursing homes that feed an exclusively whole food plant-based diet to the patients for the medical benefits the diet has to offer?

One could probably make similar arguments in favor of a generally vegan diet in nursing homes...

I don't see how it infringes on a patients rights. Unless you think this would be EVERY nursing home. Basically going to a WFPB nursing home would be up to the client and their family. They should have a choice.

I've had to shop for places for my mom to live a few times as her needs changed. She always had the final say - except for the last time.

While shopping for places for my mom I saw all kinds of places. I don't recall any WFPB ones but I bet there are some.

I ate with my mom about once a week at even the last one had a varied menu with and healthy food choices.

Considering how hard it is to get WFPB in the vast majority of nursing homes or hospitals, I find it hard to care about the whole "infringement" thing 🙄
WFPB is the most researched diet to prevent, or at least delay, dementia and so many other health problems associated with age. It's also the the one that isn't profitable, and certainly in the US it's not going to be the one promoted.

I don't see how it infringes on a patients rights.
I'm talking about cases where a family is choosing a nursing home for a patient with dementia or Alzheimer's, or a similar neurological or age-related issue that prevents them from managing their own affairs. The patient is presumably not capable of managing their own affairs, and their surviving children seem to decide what kind of nursing home they're going to. Unless I'm mistaken, they also make medical decisions for the patient.

In such cases, would it be ethical to have nursing homes that feed patients an exclusively WFPB diet (regardless of the wishes of the patient) for its medical benefits?

I'm talking about cases where a family is choosing a nursing home for a patient with dementia or Alzheimer's, or a similar neurological or age-related issue that prevents them from managing their own affairs. The patient is presumably not capable of managing their own affairs, and their surviving children seem to decide what kind of nursing home they're going to. Unless I'm mistaken, they also make medical decisions for the patient.

In such cases, would it be ethical to have nursing homes that feed patients an exclusively WFPB diet (regardless of the wishes of the patient) for its medical benefits?
I must not be understanding your concern correctly. How is the kids deciding that mom and dad go to a WFPB nursing home any different that the decision to go to ANY nursing home?

Reactions: Andy_T

When you put it that way it does sound like an infringement-----
just like all the veg'ns out there who face that very infringement in nursing homes and hospitals!!! And get the inverse of positive results.
This is something that really should be discussed prior to needing your care determined by others. Just like everyone needs to have a power of attorney in the event someone else needs to step in, the desires need to be made clear

I shudder to think I'd be sent somewhere and have no option but meat.

I shudder to think I'd be sent somewhere and have no option but meat.
I don't think that would ever happen if the decision is being made based on medical benefits because the evidence seems to pretty strongly suggest the vegan or whole food plant-based diet is better than a diet with animal products in it.

The American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society all promote strongly plant-centered diets, and they've all stated that properly-planned vegan diets are a healthy option. However, none of these organizations have stated that whole-food vegan diets are the ONLY healthy option. So, it would be difficult to medically-justify a mandate to provide only vegan diets in nursing homes.

I don't think that would ever happen if the decision is being made based on medical benefits because the evidence seems to pretty strongly suggest the vegan or whole food plant-based diet is better than a diet with animal products in it
Look how long it took to ban smoking indoors!
The research for plant based diets is still being fought, and nursing homes are largely lacking not only in vegetarian options,, but healthy options. All I've known or heard about cater more towards taste than health. My mother was in two that people said had good food, but the general menu was not at all veg friendly. I don't think I've ever seen a meal that contained beans or legumes, and veggies were just overcooked sides

The American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society all promote strongly plant-centered diets, and they've all stated that properly-planned vegan diets are a healthy option. However, none of these organizations have stated that whole-food vegan diets are the ONLY healthy option. So, it would be difficult to medically-justify a mandate to provide only vegan diets in nursing homes.
We can only hope they be made an option!

Corruption exists (see the movie "Cowspiracy"). Just because some big-name organizations like that endorse some diets that contain meat doesn't mean those diets are as healthy as a whole food plant-based diet or a vegan diet.

Last edited:
For those not aware, there are tremendous health benefits to a whole food plant-based diet. (See books like The China Study or websites like nutritionfacts.org for those who aren't aware).

When I see patients in nursing homes, unless I'm mistaken, the institution and family make medical decisions for the patient in cases where the patient has dementia, Alzheimers, or some similar issues that stop them from functioning properly... perhaps in consultation with a doctor or nurse... administering drugs and that sort of thing in a nursing home setting.

Bearing this in mind, and the tremendous healing power of a whole food plant-based diet, does it seem ethical to have nursing homes that mandate patients consume a whole food plant-based diet (vegan, essentially) in order to keep them healthy?

If it's ethical for nursing homes to give a patient drugs regardless of what the patient thinks of it under some circumstances because of the medical benefits of the drug; why would it be unethical to have nursing homes that feed an exclusively whole food plant-based diet to the patients for the medical benefits the diet has to offer?

One could probably make similar arguments in favor of a generally vegan diet in

The hospital in my local place closed down.
It makes sense to me for it to open back up and provide only vegan foods.
If the patient wants the food he has at home he or she will want to get up and go when they are well enough.