Physical Exercise Excercise to Help with Anxiety

Kasandra

Forum Legend
Reaction score
So been suffering really bad with anxiety - feel so rushed all the time so need to focus on something that will help me to slow down.

Was thinking of starting yoga twice a week.

The idea of having to slow down and stay in the moment already feels a bit intimidating but I am sure the benefits would be tremendous.

Anyone YOGI GOERS in here?

With some tips for a newbie?

I used to do yoga many years ago, and will definitely recommend it. As with any activity, I guess the important thing is to make an effort to set aside time for it.

The first set of courses I did was completely decoupled from anything spiritual / religious, and was run by a yoga school in the "western tradition" (if there is such a thing) with highly trained teachers. Then many years later I was on a course run by some Indian guy in the Indian tradition. Looking back, I much preferred the non-spiritual / non-religious "western" courses.

Yoga and meditation have been lifesavers for me. My anxiety and depression were not helped by medications particularly, but yoga, meditation, guided imagery, and mindfulness have helped me so much. I meditate every day and practice yoga 2-3 times a week. My adult daughter does more than I do with yoga, and my son meditates and does martial arts, which is his mindful activity.

There are wonderful meditations online, some with music, or guided by a voice, sometimes with images. There are good yoga classes online, too, but I think taking a few classes first is a good idea, so you get the poses right. (Lots of places give the first couple of classes free.)

I don't reommend the now trendy "hot yoga" at first; I felt like I couldn't take a breath; it was like a sauna. Some people love it, especially the young ones. I don't need hot flashes imposed upon me; I have my own! ;)

I recommend highly that you start. :) Here is a quick q&a about meditation. (Buddhist, but it isn't all religious or preachy.)
-------
"If I wanted to practice Mindfulness of Breathing, how would I do it?

You would follows these easy steps: the four Ps place, posture, practice and problems. First, find a suitable place, perhaps a room that is not too noisy and where you are not likely to do disturbed. Second, sit in a comfortable posture. A good posture is to sit with your legs folded, a pillow under your buttocks, your back straight, the hands nestled in the lap and the eyes closed. Alternatively, you can sit in a chair as long as you keep your back straight.
Next comes the actual practice itself. As you sit quietly with your eyes closed you focus your attention on the in and out movement of the breath. This can be done by counting the breaths or watching the rise and fall of the abdomen. When this is done, certain problems and difficulties will arise. You might experience irritating itches on the body or discomfort in the knees. If this happens, try to keep the body relaxed without moving and keep focusing on the breath.

You will probably have many intruding thoughts coming into your mind and distracting your attention from the breath. The only way you can deal with this problem is to patiently keep returning your attention to the breath. If you keep doing this, eventually thoughts will weaken, your concentration will become stronger and you will have moments of deep mental calm and inner peace.

How long should I meditate for?
It is good to do meditation for 15 minutes every day for a week and then extend the time by 5 minutes each week until you are meditating for 45 minutes. After a few weeks of regular daily meditation you will start to notice that your concentration gets better, there are less thoughts, and you have moments of real peace and stillness.

What about Loving Kindness Meditation? How is that practiced?
Once you are familiar with Mindfulness of Breathing and are practicing it regularly you can start practicing Loving Kindness Meditation. It should be done two or three times each week after you have done Mindfulness of Breathing. First, you turn your attention to yourself and say to yourself words like "May I be well and happy. May I be peaceful and calm. May I be protected from dangers. May my mind be free from hatred. May my heart be filled with love. May I be well and happy." Then one by one you think of a loved person, a neutral person, that is, someone you neither like nor dislike, and finally a disliked person, wishing each of them well as you do so.

What is the benefit of doing this type of meditation?
If you do Loving Kindness Meditation regularly and with the right attitude, you will find very positive changes taking place within yourself. You will find that you are able to be more accepting and forgiving towards yourself. You will find that the feelings you have towards your loved ones will increase. You will find yourself making friends with people you used to be indifferent and uncaring towards, and you will find the ill-will or resentment you have towards some people will lessen and eventually be dissolved. Sometimes if you know of someone who is sick, unhappy or encountering difficulties you can include them in your meditation and very often you will find their situation improving.

How is that possible?
The mind, when properly developed, is a very powerful instrument. If we can learn to focus our mental energy and project it towards others, it can have an effect upon them. You may have had an experience like this. Perhaps you are in a crowded room and you get this feeling that someone is watching you. You turn around and, sure enough, someone is staring at you. What has happened is that you have picked up that other person's mental energy. Loving Kindness Meditation is like this. We project positive mental energy towards others and it gradually transforms them."

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda06.htm

Hi guys, thanks for the feedbank. I havent had time to practice yoga or go for swimming my brother and sister in law was in a huge accident in thailand - first day of holiday and its a miracle they are alive.

I need yoga / exercise more than ever now as the anxiety and stress are severe.... Almost unbearable.

I dont have anything to add re:exercise, just want to say that Im sorry to hear about your brothers accident. Sending well wishes *hugs*

:hug:Thanks Alice-Bee its been extremely tough. Being so far away ..They were very lucky. Not everyone get second changes, but so glad they are going to be fine I would not have been able to deal with anything else.

*hugs* sorry to hear you're struggling love.

Obviously yoga works for a lot of people, I must try it more!

For me anything where you're in motion helps me enormously, walking, running, cycling. Especially if it gets your heart racing, exhausts out the anxiety. In a way, it's own form of meditation for me, repetitive actions that help clear your thoughts. Moving forward is a great way to drop negative thoughts along the way as well; you leave them behind and you're suddenly metres ahead of them, they don't matter anymore. I find I get really optimistic about the future when I'm in motion in a way that I don't when I'm stuck in one place. It's great :)

Thanks Yally, went to bikram yoga last night and yes was a challenged doing all the postures. BUT for the first time in a very long time, I could just focus on my breathing and just being, my mind was not racing i was not feeling anxious, I focused and got through the class. I loved it - Going back this evening.

Also realised life is to short to sit on your *** cause who knows what tomorow might bring

Reactions: Second Summer
For me anything where you're in motion helps me enormously, walking, running, cycling. Especially if it gets your heart racing, exhausts out the anxiety. In a way, it's own form of meditation for me, repetitive actions that help clear your thoughts. Moving forward is a great way to drop negative thoughts along the way as well; you leave them behind and you're suddenly metres ahead of them, they don't matter anymore. I find I get really optimistic about the future when I'm in motion in a way that I don't when I'm stuck in one place. It's great :)
I remember reading about this and thinking I should start running:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobil...ng-with-the-mind-of-meditation_b_1418102.html

I havel always wanted to run but dont think I am cut out to run. Maybe through bikram strenghning my muscles joints etc I would find that running would also become easier?

I have found yoga very helpful. I too have anxiety problems.

My only suggestion is to try different types and different teachers until you find one you really like (unless you're lucky and like the first one you go to). I started off doing Hatha yoga, once a week for a year then switched over to Power yoga. Tried hot yoga too but don't like it enough to go back for more, as I found that the heat caused me to overstretch without realizing it, and wake up the next day to realize my muscles were pulled.

I agree with yally that cardio helps. It's hard to worry about anything else when you're going up a steep hill on your bike and your legs are screaming at you.

Meditation can help with anxiety. I'm always in a much better place with all of the stresses in my life when my meditation practice is strong.

I think that people mention running because of the endorphin high you can get, but that's possible with any vigorous exercise, not just running.

Hi Eeryone :hugs:

Sorry for only posting now but things have been a bit crazy....

I have started yoga, so far did Bikram, Astanga and Kundalini. Bikram is great but I do find that the heat makes me over stretched as well. I actually prefer the non heated rooms. That being said I will every now and again go do a Birkam class. Its also very expensive.

My gym gives Kundalini and Astanga Yoga. The teacher who does the Kundalini is great! Love her. Still trying to find the right teacher in the Astanga class, the one I attended rushes the class and postures and thats no good for me esp as a beginner as I love finding that inner peace in the posture and just hold and breath through it.

Yoga has changed my life so much already. ESP the Anxiety! Its easier for me to just stay in the moment and know that things will be ok. Change the things I can and let go of the things I cant.

:starshower:

Also started doing Salsa classes, use to do modern dancing and hip hop for many years and havent realised how much i missed my dancing. Trust me 50minutes of Salsa is a work out...

Realised life is too short and precious to have the attitude I will do it tomorrow... DO IT NOW.... and also my I can't turned into I can....

Jip my brothers accident was a life changing experience.

YOGA also really did open my eyes to another lifestyle.

I agree with everyone. ^^ I've had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, and without daily meditation, and yoga as much as I can, I can't imagine what a mess I would be.

I do yoga classes, not hot yoga as I'm menopausal, but any other kind. :) I do online classes, and ones on tv, and attend classes when I can.

I also swim, it is so relaxing afterwards, my muscles feel tired in a good way. I swim in the Gulf of Mexico, with the sun beating down. :)

Getting out into a natural setting and walking is great, too. Being outside where it is green and the sky is so open.

I agree with everyone. ^^ I've had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, and without daily meditation, and yoga as much as I can, I can't imagine what a mess I would be.

I do yoga classes, not hot yoga as I'm menopausal, but any other kind. :) I do online classes, and ones on tv, and attend classes when I can.

I also swim, it is so relaxing afterwards, my muscles feel tired in a good way. I swim in the Gulf of Mexico, with the sun beating down. :)

Getting out into a natural setting and walking is great, too. Being outside where it is green and the sky is so open.

I totally agree and I also find that gardening helps reduce anxiety. I unfortunately don't have a garden but when
I did a bit of work in the grounds of the my blocks of flats, I did feel less stressed. I loved to see all the colours of the flowers through the sunlight and hear the birds. So, so relaxing and peaceful.:dog:

I really must find something to help me with anxiety as it has worsened in the last few months.

Reactions: ledboots
I use meditation when I go through cycles of depression. Over all though, I've found fast paced cardio does best for my mental health.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm currently working on learning to kayak, as it's non competitive and I get to meet new people and keep fit.

hi everyone, i started the 30 day yoga challenge - its already changed my life... I do it at 05:00 in the mornings and it sets the tone for my whole day.

it helps me focus on the positive energy within myself and keeps stress and anxiety at bay.

also starting modern dancing and funky jazz - passion of mine

Yoga exercise and running exervcise will help you to prevent from anxiety, Dancing and spending more time with friends will help you to get relax, and you will fell better than before.