Ethical Weddings

I agree about the flowers, and it's such a waste as well as the cost being actual extortion!

Awww that bouquet of sweets is so adorable <3 I would stand directly behind you with my mouth open waiting for you to throw it haha

For my sister's wedding we used the roses out of the back garden. Don't know if you know anybody with a nice rose garden who would be willing to let you decimate it (ours were bare for a few weeks before they started to bud again)? It might be an idea.
The only flowers at the wedding which weren't from our garden were the rose in my sister's hair and her bouquet which were from a local florist.

I do know about this site: http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/sho...-session=shopper:56A705E71ae84279C6Huw1E3C9B4 although it's still very expensive. Maybe you could go around some florists and see if they would be able to put together a seasonal, British-grown bouquet for you?

For my sister's wedding we used the roses out of the back garden. Don't know if you know anybody with a nice rose garden who would be willing to let you decimate it (ours were bare for a few weeks before they started to bud again)? It might be an idea.
The only flowers at the wedding which weren't from our garden were the rose in my sister's hair and her bouquet which were from a local florist.

I do know about this site: http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/sho...-session=shopper:56A705E71ae84279C6Huw1E3C9B4 although it's still very expensive. Maybe you could go around some florists and see if they would be able to put together a seasonal, British-grown bouquet for you?

Those are very pretty :) If I'm going for flowers, it will definitely be local. I don't know anyone with much of a garden for that, but there are enough small, local florists in the area that I'd have a decent amount to pick from.

wrt flowers, ours weren't too expensive at all but we chose carefully and had an amazing florist. She's an hour away, in east Bournemouth but if you end up thinking about flowers, I'd definitely recommend her. Tracy at Southbourne Florists is who we used.

Also, our photographer was vegetarian. We discovered this totally by accident, but it was pretty cool. He took amazing pictures for us, definitely absolutely one of the best decisions we made. Food and pictures were the two things that I really wanted to do well. :) This is Martin's website: http://photodabek.co.uk/ He's based in Bristol but travels all over the place (even internationally).

The food was by these folks and was very good http://www.veg-out-sussex.com/. The cake was from a baker they recommended though and was okay, but not super fantastic. Honestly, I'd get Ms. Cupcake to do mine if we were doing it today.

Have you guys booked a venue?

Reactions: AeryFairy
Haven't actually made the booking yet, because they aren't taking 2014 bookings until next year, but we have the reception venue picked out (the place where we met). Ceremony location was based around that, narrowed down to two or three places including a 19th century naval vessel and an old theatre.

That catering looks awesome, they are definitely going on the short list! I'd prefer a veggie company, because you can count on them to not need an explanation of what vegan means, and the food is usually better :p

We weren't vegan when we got married so food was omni but I was really concerned about flowers so we had caladiums in pots (they grow pink and green which were our colours) and we had real ivy from my 8th grade art teacher's garden entwining the pews.

:D I am engaged now, but the big day will probably be in 2014 so not really planning yet.... but thinking of lots of great ideas. We're fairly sure we're having vegan only food, which I'm really excited about. My fiance is omni so most people (everybody) expects us to have omni food, but I just really hated the idea of having my own "special" meal on my wedding day. People even seem surprised I want a vegan cake, I mean really, why would I buy a wedding cake I can't eat? ! But my fiance is happy about it, I'm happy, what else matters :p

:D I am engaged now, but the big day will probably be in 2014 so not really planning yet.... but thinking of lots of great ideas. We're fairly sure we're having vegan only food, which I'm really excited about. My fiance is omni so most people (everybody) expects us to have omni food, but I just really hated the idea of having my own "special" meal on my wedding day. People even seem surprised I want a vegan cake, I mean really, why would I buy a wedding cake I can't eat? ! But my fiance is happy about it, I'm happy, what else matters :p

Hugs! I know! My mom forced meat at my first wedding. She insisted that people will expect it. I am unsure if I want to do another thing like that, but if I do it will HAVE to be at least vegetarian. It is the couples celebration NOT the overbearing family's.

My boyfriend and I have talked about ideas for possible weddings, including having ours an hour before the homeless meal in the park, at the park, and asking guests to bring a covered dish to share with whoever shows up. We'd probably need to rent some portajohns and handwashing stations, because the park is just a patch of grass with picnic tables.

He also has wanted for a long time to get married on Halloween. However, the next time Halloween is on a Sunday is a long time from now, plus it can be pretty cold outside on Halloween, so that may not work well.

I'm in favor of me not planning (and/or paying for) a big nuptial shindig. I'll show up. Also, I will wear something I like. If he wants to march me in to Pussy Liquor, whatever. It's one day.

I was reminded yesterday (because I ran into the gardener who gave a sprig to me) that I want my wedding bouquet to consist mainly of Mexican basil aka cinnamon basil. The aroma was so ecstasy-inducing that it was like carrying around an orgasm with me. And that was just a little teaser sprig. A whole bouquet would surely ward off any prudishness my family might throw at me.

Reactions: AeryFairy