Vegan Eggplant "chips"

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score

• 2 small eggplants (the smaller ones are the best since they don’t have as many seeds. Japanese eggplant works well too.)
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 3 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 tsp garlic powder
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Assemble chips:
  1. Slice the eggplant lengthwise as thin as you can, less than an 1/8th inch if you can.
  2. Place an oven proof cooling rack over a baking sheet (line with foil for easy cleanup if desired) or 2 if needed.
  3. Place the eggplant strips onto the cooling rack in a single layer.
  4. Mix together the salt, oregano and garlic powder in a small bowl.
  5. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over both sides of the eggplant strips.
  6. Let sit at least 30 minutes. This will help to draw out some of the moisture from the eggplant.
  7. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. With an oil mister spray each side of the eggplant with olive oil.
  8. Place the baking sheet(s) into the oven and bake 10 minutes. Turn the strips over and bake an additional 10 minutes, watching closely the last few minutes as the eggplant will go from nicely browned to burnt very quickly. The eggplant should be completely crisp and browned.
  9. Serve immediately.

I tried to make something similar to this once, but with some liquid smoke added to—it was supposed to be "eggplant bacon"—but it never fully dried out. It was tasty but not what I expected. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

I tried to make something similar to this once, but with some liquid smoke added to—it was supposed to be "eggplant bacon"—but it never fully dried out. It was tasty but not what I expected. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

Schmencer, I'm planning on making this tomorrow, and will let you know how they turn out.

I sliced them ridiculously thin,and baked them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 275 degrees for about 45 minutes. I spritzed them with a little olive oil cooking spray halfway through the process. The result was a nice,crispy batch. Mine were nowhere near as picture perfect as the recipe,probably because we didn't have Japanese eggplant.

^ I will try and do it that way.:)

Oh yes, I tried that too and it didn't come out well at all.