Literature Ebooks Vs Paper books

I have been an avid reader since I learned to read!! I use to read a dozen books a week when I was a kid! Now... not so much but I LOVE books! I also am a huge fan of "gadgets" and I really want a Kindle or a tablet or something to carry THOUSANDS of books with me. The idea just makes me so happy! :D I try to carry a paperback book with me everywhere and an e-reader would definitely be a plus. My sister got a Nook for Mother's Day... totally surprised her as she is not into gadgets AT ALL. She is learning to use it and I will see how she likes it before I get one for myself.

I love my Kindle.:) I have given all my paper books away to family, friends or to charity shops and so I only have a handful left and I have made notes in those so I can't donate them.

I might buy a used e-book at some point. I try to avoid buying new electronics.

I love my Kindle.:) I have given all my paper books away to family, friends or to charity shops and so I only have a handful left and I have made notes in those so I can't donate them.

I still have every book I ever bought, ever. Ditto with my comic book collection, which I started around 1971. Oh, I still have my penny collection, matchbox car collection, stamps, etc., etc., etc. I should change my username to packrat. I think it's an inherited trait as my grandma was the same way. I feel for my kids when they have to go through my stuff when I tip over, lol. At least they'll have a lot of cool stuff to go through. :D

Don't ask what my adult self likes to collect. ;)

If I enjoy a book, I generally want to keep it. If it was readable but nothing special I'll pass it on to my mum and if it was bad I give it to the charity shop.

I used to buy tons of books, but I eventually got tired of packing/carrying/unpacking all of them every time I moved. So I sold most of them to the used bookstore, and donated what they didn't want to the library.

Now, the only books I buy are cookbooks, anything from Neil Gaiman, and a few nice/unique books on orchids. I can get just about anything I want to read from the library.

The library here even has an awesome selection of veg*n cookbooks, so I've been able to check them out to see if I want to spend the money to before I buy them.

I just signed up for an online recipe manager that has an iPad app, and I'm going to upload a bunch of recipes so I can use that in the kitchen. I'll be able to have all my favorites and things-to-try from different books in one searchable location.

I still have every book I ever bought, ever. Ditto with my comic book collection, which I started around 1971. Oh, I still have my penny collection, matchbox car collection, stamps, etc., etc., etc. I should change my username to packrat. I think it's an inherited trait as my grandma was the same way. I feel for my kids when they have to go through my stuff when I tip over, lol. At least they'll have a lot of cool stuff to go through. :D

I knew your house must be enormous when I saw a photo of your pantry. :p I have the opposite trait and I get rid of stuff constantly.:D

I don't know.. I never really was able to get into eBooks. There's just something about them that makes it incredibly difficult for me to focus on them, not to mention the fact that staring a a screen for too long makes my eyes hurt. Still, I wish I could learn to love them seeing as they take up or much less space, and are a lot cheaper. I suppose I haven't used them much though, seeing as my only real exposure has been reading the newspaper online, when we switched from paper to online subscription due to rising costs. I miss paper newspapers too, and am sad to see their continued demise!

On the other hand I adore paper books. I usually get them from the library, and there's just something fun about walking up and down the aisles, looking at the back page, scanning the book, and holding it in my hands.

I don't know.. I never really was able to get into eBooks. There's just something about them that makes it incredibly difficult for me to focus on them, not to mention the fact that staring a a screen for too long makes my eyes hurt. Still, I wish I could learn to love them seeing as they take up or much less space, and are a lot cheaper. I suppose I haven't used them much though, seeing as my only real exposure has been reading the newspaper online, when we switched from paper to online subscription due to rising costs. I miss paper newspapers too, and am sad to see their continued demise!

On the other hand I adore paper books. I usually get them from the library, and there's just something fun about walking up and down the aisles, looking at the back page, scanning the book, and holding it in my hands.

Have you tried reading on e-ink yet?

IMO, Ebook reader companies should follow the Gillette model - sell the high quaility readers dirt cheap and focus on selling the books and increasing the titles that are available.

Many of the books I want to read just haven't been digitzed. I'm not one of those people that reads whatever is popular, or just autmatically buys books from a well known author...just becayuse they're a well know author...and of course those are the kind of books that are prioritized for being digitized.

Is the Kindle e-ink? If so then yes, although this was about a year and a half ago and an older version of the Kindle.

Yep all the kindle e-readers are e-ink. I have both older and newer versions of the kindle personally I don't find that much difference in the reading quality between kindle versions but I don't like to read on the kindle fire which is back lit for long periods of time, however it is great for picture intensive books like cookbooks. I still find myself gravitating towards paper books for such things though.

All the Kindles besides the new fire tablet have the e-ink. I love it!

oops beat me to it. I love my kindles. Our family has 2 K2s, 3 K3 (kindle with keyboards), a Kindle DX (not sure why I bought this other than it was new and cool at the time) and a kindle fire. Really, really like the built in reading light on my K3's covers.

I collect books and have a kindle. I love both. I like that the kindle is lightweight, and easier to travel with. And if I have a long layover, or get stuck in an office, or whatever I'm doing while out, and I finish my book, I can get a new one instantly!

But a kindle will never replace walking into a bookstore, poking around for an hour or two, and walking out with a big stack of books!

Also, I have an ipad, and the bf suggested I just use the kindle app and get rid of the kindle itself, but I find that reading on a backlit screen for too long gives me headaches. I really spend too much time in front of a computer anyway, and I can read on a kindle all day without straining my eyes.

I collect books and have a kindle. I love both. I like that the kindle is lightweight, and easier to travel with. And if I have a long layover, or get stuck in an office, or whatever I'm doing while out, and I finish my book, I can get a new one instantly!

But a kindle will never replace walking into a bookstore, poking around for an hour or two, and walking out with a big stack of books!

Are there such things as bookstores anymore? lol. They're dying off in droves and not just because of e-books which IMO is just the final nail in the coffin. I do expect a few locally owned specialty types to survive over time but the big chains are going to be toast (just as they killed off lots of independents) as they are going/being killed off by a combo of internet sales and e-books.

I haven't been to a book shop in years. The only paperbacks I buy are impulse purchases from when I wander down the book aisle in the supermarket after food shopping. If I did want a book, I'd buy it on Amazon.

I love both! I have a Kindle, which I adore, especially for travel - I used to go on holiday and come back with four or five books stuffed into my suitcase after a week. Plus, it's light and compact, so I can read it one-handed on my commute to work (note: I do not drive to work!)

On the other hand, it annoys me how most ebooks are the same price, if not more expensive, than their papery counterparts. You'd think they'd be cheaper because they don't have to be physically produced and distributed. And I love the smell and feel of books, so I'll always have them. They'll just travel less.