DIY paper capacitor

JacobEdward

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am a believer I can make that if I try...
capacitor-symbol.png
Traditional notion of a capacitor has the two sides not actually touch each other, it goes through the dielectric... normally it never does that but the dogma of the textbooks say that's how it works, well I tried several different ways following several different tutorials, it doesn't work, or hasn't so far, I intend to do a few more experiments before giving in and spending 10x the amount of money on ebay capacitors for barely enough capacity just for myself... physical size matters so if I could spend all the cash just on the aluminum foil and then use the free newspapers as the dielectric (I dont see what would be wrong with that, if you can use magazines you can use newspapers) I would have enough for a lot of chargers... Capacitors are important because of their ability to absorb as much current as possible, phone batteries charging at 10 watts when the wall can do 1800 is absurd ********, the converter chip is a dollar...
Tried this several different ways (0.5-9v, no cap on current, several differently wrapped capacitors with different layers like baking paper instead of newspaper) nothing worked like the capacitors I bought online... Followed several different instructions from several different sources on paper capacitors, took this video showing what's going on, made it as simple and as completely verified as possible (I guess I could have had it starting on something being powered by the power supply just to prove it was working but I did do that earlier off camera... I doubt anybody cares)
https://www.instructables.com/Aluminum-Foil-Plate-Capacitor/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGfZdw6WaQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npliU4Wny5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPD7skZ8OSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkt2wbf1_5o

my intuition tells me it would make sense that you would need something like a diode on the other end of the capacitors two plates from the two contact points pointing towards the positive side in order to have the effect... just having plates like this does make sense it wouldn't work that way, but that's how all the textbooks say it is and all the video tutorials and all of the blablabla

btw when I did it the other way with the bridge rectifier what happened was the multimeter tripped but "something" was charging... after I disconnected the load the multimeter read there was 0.8v ~ for the diy capacitor that quickly dissipated (I assumed it was from other things), this article said that my assumption was correct, increasing the dielectric is what increases the voltage, but I did that, I had one version with one layer of paper and another version with 2 layers and they were both around the same amount... I guess I can always test again with 20 layers and 20 times more... but when does that stop? I guess I'll ask again if it doesn't work...

167472352_3640013882787556_8320178812262682342_n.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-04 154450.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-04 154450.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Found this example, its a great simple illustration but it gave the impression you would use half of the foil on each sheet... its about overlapping plate space, yes but much closer to each other and its also saying wax paper... capacitors should be getting hot regularly from all the current, the wax would melt and make a mess, newspaper would be better
Screenshot 2021-04-04 154450.png
Screenshot 2021-04-04 155258.png

For what application are you building your capacitors? Are these for a small electric vehicle?

For what application are you building your capacitors? Are these for a small electric vehicle?
Yeah that would be a great idea but once you're at that point you've got enough capacity for almost everything else, using capacitors for cooking would be crazy expensive in terms of how big they would need to be for even just one meal...

I've read this dogma a few times now... what does that even mean? I was thinking I'd need to add salt water to the paper in order to make it more conductible but then this suggests it doesn't work that way... if its just space between the plates that makes the voltage, wouldn't that mean I should use foam?

Screenshot 2021-04-05 154359.png

these people didn't try very hard and only showed the basic idea and it does suggest the exact opposite of the intuition, plastic isn't conductible

This guy said she used 2 ft because she didn't have an oscilloscope... maybe that means its not enough to see its usefulness except through traditional equipment like the 555... this could be the explanation

I've got two rolls of 40 ft ($1 each), I've got enough newspaper for a single layer, maybe I should go get enough for 5 layers...

wait a minute, if the problem was I didn't try a large enough piece, which would be true of some of the tutorials I was following, then a single layer would be close to 2.7v (or I'm confused and its where they're attaching the wires instead of the thickness of the dielectric)... that's acceptable for what I want to do right now, will post the results of a single layer on 40ft

Please post video of capacitor discharge.

Once, my high school chemistry teacher accidentally discharged a Leyden Jar capacitor through his body during a lecture. He accidentally got his finger too close to the charged capacitor, and a huge arc jumped to his finger. He was OK, but the exit arc between his foot and the floor left a burn mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: JacobEdward
I've got this 40ft roll of aluminum in paper next to the power supply, voltage on 2.2... absolutely nothing from the current... it is acting just as two disconnected wires normally act...
the adafruit video suggested I wasn't using enough foil but clearly that's not what it is

I remembered to tape a couple of wires to the other side of the foil before rolling it
I'm going to try adding a diode

I've got this 40ft roll of aluminum in paper next to the power supply, voltage on 2.2... absolutely nothing from the current... it is acting just as two disconnected wires normally act...
the adafruit video suggested I wasn't using enough foil but clearly that's not what it is

I remembered to tape a couple of wires to the other side of the foil before rolling it
I'm going to try adding a diode
That sounds correct, though. After a capacitor is fully charged, its current drops to zero (it behaves like an open circuit). If the applied voltage remains unchanged, the current will remain at zero. Capacitors only pass current if a voltage change occurs:

I = C * dv/dt

That sounds correct, though. After a capacitor is fully charged, its current drops to zero (it behaves like an open circuit). If the applied voltage remains unchanged, the current will remain at zero. Capacitors only pass current if a voltage change occurs:

I = C * dv/dt
Just after construction the charge would be zero... I've just added a diode and I finally have current registering on the power supply... I'm going to leave it like this for a few hours (very large capacitor as you can see) and see if the current is 0...

Just after construction the charge would be zero... I've just added a diode and I finally have current registering on the power supply... I'm going to leave it like this for a few hours (very large capacitor as you can see) and see if the current is 0...
That capacitor is sizable! May I ask what it’s for?

Electrical energy storage?
lol yes so that I'll have faster charging... already proved the concept with capacitors online but its absurd how much they cost... that capacitor in the video is from $2 of aluminum foil and the newspaper is free...

my worry about it breaking something... the power supply just turned off and I cant get it back on...

tried the bridge rectifier, the current doesn't seem to get to the AC with the diode and again ... its as every other two unconnected pieces of wires...

welp... idk... I've pretty much convinced myself that there's some sort of conspiracy of the narrative because they know most people wont actually try...

This guy made a capacitor charger for random capacitors he found and put in series, he explains the idea of using the bridge rectifier
cool idea but the dogma of capacitors is if you put them in series its like they knock each other out, if you have two you get half of the smaller capacitance in order to get that voltage... obviously I know none of that and since the dogma isn't true anyways I guess assuming that formula really needs to be verified...

anyways, I was going to stay with the low voltage and maximize the capacitance but then have this smaller 120v capacitor to block the AC like he did in his video... apparently just having the voltage isn't enough, I've got 3x50v capacitors in series connected in parallel with the 2.7v... its not blocking... maybe the usb mouse is too much... 5v at .5a ... 2.5w ... I guess it makes sense that his capacitor bank would be enough to overcome the lightbulb...
IMG_20210407_142950.jpg

Last edited: