Eating eggs from a pet chicken

No. I don't see the problem of eating such a chicken's eggs as long as you don't kill it when it's too old to lay eggs.

For me, personally, I don't see a problem with a vegetarian eating the eggs, but a vegan should not because vegans don't eat eggs.

I wouldnt eat the eggs because I disagree with using animals for food. I just wouldnt feel comfotable with it and can live happily without them. However, if someone is vegetarian for welfare reasons I see no issue.

I wouldn't feel right eating the eggs, because I don't believe in using animals for food, but I can see where a vegetarian wouldn't have an issue if that person is vegetarian for animal welfare reasons.

No matter how well the female is treated, the males are still ground up or suffocated because they are considered worthless. Also, laying eggs depletes their bodies nutrients, and vegans will usually feed them back to the hens to help them regain some of what they've lost.

Since this was posted in the vegan forum, I'm going to answer as a vegan and say no, it's never okay to eat them. Once you start using them for food, you've changed them from a pet into a commodity.

You should feed the eggs back to the chickens. They aren't for you.

And vegans don't eat eggs. Period.

The chicken is treated very well. Are you against a person eating the eggs?

Yes.

All other considerations aside:

To keep ones own chickens one must have the resources, the priveledge(s) of having the space/time/whatever, to do so.

For such a person to say "my priveledge makes it OK for me to eat eggs but your lack of priveledge makes it wrong for you to do so" is blatantly 'elitist'.

If someone has pet chickens (and they do make wonderful pets) especially if they are rescued and you want to eat the eggs, I'm not here to judge you or anyone else on this matter. Over the years of not eating eggs, I would have no want or taste for them anymore.

I guess if you did eat pet chicken eggs you couldn't say you were vegan (but then I didn't go vegan to be able to say I'm vegan) but you would be doing a lot less harm than a lot of people on this planet regarding their dietary intake. It comes down to what you yourself are comfortable with. I wouldn't call you a bad person for eating pet chicken eggs.

Reactions: KLS52