E120

Vegvu

Newcomer
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before but I've just learnt in skittles etc, it's not just gelatin to look out for but e120/carmine etc.

If these sweets are gelatin free but contain e120, can I just discard red and purple (assuming the colour is a derivative of red and blue) skittles and eat the rest??

Sorry if it's a dumb question...I've just joined...please be careful with me :)

Welcome, Vegvu!

I think e120/carmine gives a red colour, so presumably it would be the red skittles that contains it?

Here is the product page (UK version):
Wrigley UK :: Skittles

I wouldn't buy any new Skittles though. Even if one is not eating a product, as long as one is purchasing it, one would still be supporting the practice. If you already have a bag of it, then that is a different story, of course ... That said though, I wouldn't consider eating e120 as bad as eating an animal that is more clearly able to suffer.

Reactions: Andy_T
Welcome, Vegvu!

I think e120/carmine gives a red colour, so presumably it would be the red skittles that contains it?

Here is the product page (UK version):
Wrigley UK :: Skittles

I wouldn't buy any new Skittles though. Even if one is not eating a product, as long as one is purchasing it, one would still be supporting the practice. If you already have a bag of it, then that is a different story, of course ... That said though, I wouldn't consider eating e120 as bad as eating an animal that is more clearly able to suffer.

The bugs are dried out in the sun, whilst they are still alive.

The Truth About Red Food Dye Made from Bugs | Cochineal Extract, Carmine, Starbucks

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I support your view that I wouldn't want to buy to support the practice of using e120.

Does anyone know if they're in peanut m and ms as I've been eating these for a while believing they were suitable for vegetarians.

Ps, while I'm not strictly vegan, I'm a veggie that eats no egg....wasn't sure which forum to use so opted for the vegan one...

Vegvu,

welcome to the forum!
Good to hear that you do not consume meat, fish, eggs, gelatine and the rest of the nasty products.
(At some point in time, you might also look into the idea that dairy is not exactly healthy for you - nor for the animals - and consider whether you want to continue to consume that ;-)

Best regards,
Andy

Does anyone know if they're in peanut m and ms as I've been eating these for a while believing they were suitable for vegetarians.
Ingredients:
Sugar, Peanuts, Cocoa Mass, Skimmed Milk Powder, Lactose and Milk Proteins, Cocoa Butter, Palm Fat, Milk Fat, Starch, Glucose Syrup, Shea Fat, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Stabiliser (Gum Arabic), Colours (E100, E120, E133, E160a, E160e, E171), Dextrin, Glazing Agent (Carnauba Wax), Salt, Flavourings, Coconut Oil, May contain: Hazelnut, Almond , Milk Chocolate contains Milk Solids 14% minimum, Milk Chocolate contains Vegetable Fats in addition to Cocoa Butter
M&Ms Peanut Bag 165G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Ps, while I'm not strictly vegan, I'm a veggie that eats no egg....wasn't sure which forum to use so opted for the vegan one...

that's called lacto-vegetarianism.

I don't consume dairy(at this point), but eat a few things with egg in them.