Drank coke with my meal for the 1st time in 3 years-It made my meal taste awful

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi. I felt like having a fizzy, sugary drink so thought I would buy a coke and try it with my meal for the first time in three years to see what would happen and while it was nice it made my sushi (which I usually really like) taste sticky and tasteless.

I'm not doing that again. I've been having an occassional beer with my meals (as I felt like having it again) and I notice that that doesn't affect the taste of my meals and actually enhances it so I'll stick to that I think. Also, I haven't noticed any drawbacks and it even seems to suppress my appetite, and I'm also aware of research that states that light drinking, such as 1 - 2 drinks a day for males (and not any more), actually has some benefits, like reduced risk of iron deficiency anemia.

Yuck - on the coke! I haven't had one in about 3 decades. I don't even have a taste for it anymore - the thought of it grosses me out. If I feel like something fizzy I'll get a ginger beer or ginger ale, or some kombucha.

But by all means have a beer as long as it's not a problem for you, but please don't fool yourself into thinking there is any benefit that would outweigh the risks of consuming alcohol.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/hea...ng-no-level-of-alcohol-safe-lancet-study.html
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-it-better-to-drink-little-alcohol-than-none-at-all/

Reactions: Emma JC
Yeah, I should have got a ginger beer. I don't know if the sugar in the ginger beer would have ruined the meal as well though, or whether it was just something else in the coke that did it.

I do have the occasional ginger ale but mostly we drink soda water, often plain, sometimes with lemon and sometimes with a bit of red wine. I used to drink a glass of wine with every dinner and now I drink it with dinner only on Fridays and Saturdays. Giving my liver a 5 day rest.

Emma JC