Drank coke with my meal for the 1st time in 3 years-It made my meal taste awful

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi. I felt like having a fizzy, sugary drink so thought I would buy a coke and try it with my meal for the first time in three years to see what would happen and while it was nice it made my sushi (which I usually really like) taste sticky and tasteless.

I'm not doing that again. I've been having an occassional beer with my meals (as I felt like having it again) and I notice that that doesn't affect the taste of my meals and actually enhances it so I'll stick to that I think. Also, I haven't noticed any drawbacks and it even seems to suppress my appetite, and I'm also aware of research that states that light drinking, such as 1 - 2 drinks a day for males (and not any more), actually has some benefits, like reduced risk of iron deficiency anemia.

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yuck - on the coke! I haven't had one in about 3 decades. I don't even have a taste for it anymore - the thought of it grosses me out. If I feel like something fizzy I'll get a ginger beer or ginger ale, or some kombucha.

But by all means have a beer as long as it's not a problem for you, but please don't fool yourself into thinking there is any benefit that would outweigh the risks of consuming alcohol.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/hea...ng-no-level-of-alcohol-safe-lancet-study.html
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-it-better-to-drink-little-alcohol-than-none-at-all/

Reactions: Emma JC
OP
OP
J

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yeah, I should have got a ginger beer. I don't know if the sugar in the ginger beer would have ruined the meal as well though, or whether it was just something else in the coke that did it.

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I do have the occasional ginger ale but mostly we drink soda water, often plain, sometimes with lemon and sometimes with a bit of red wine. I used to drink a glass of wine with every dinner and now I drink it with dinner only on Fridays and Saturdays. Giving my liver a 5 day rest.

Emma JC