Doubt

Well... in their defense you hear people all the time say "vegan diet". you hardly ever hear people say, "vegan lifestyle.

If you follow a vegan diet, you are a strict vegetarian. I suppose saying vegan diet is easier and also hardly anyone knows what a strict vegetarian diet is. (btw it just no animal products)

Reactions: adina
That's an interesting question because I've heard the terms "veganism" and "ethical veganism" being used. The difference is "vegans" avoid meat, eggs, milk, etc in their diet. "Ethical vegans" also eschew products where animals were involved (leather, animal testing, gelantin, bone, etc.). I can definitely see where the confusion would come from.

Reactions: adina
welcome to the forum @adina

I would suspect it is because it is the most obvious sign that you are vegan, what you are eating.

Most people do not say "hey, why aren't you wearing animal skins on your feet/back" and yet will not hesitate to notice when you don't consume animals and also comment.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Veganism, by definition, includes more than diet. Vegans avoid (as far as they practically can) ANYTHING involving the exploitation of animals: clothing and cosmetics being two obvious ones, but medicines when possible. Some other things come to mind, the more you think about it: certain forms of entertainment, such as circuses or horse racing; fertilizer made from bone or blood meal... The Vegan Society will have more information.

That's an interesting question because I've heard the terms "veganism" and "ethical veganism" being used. The difference is "vegans" avoid meat, eggs, milk, etc in their diet. "Ethical vegans" also eschew products where animals were involved (leather, animal testing, gelantin, bone, etc.). I can definitely see where the confusion would come from.
IMHO, ethical vegan = vegan. All vegans are ethical vegans. I think what you are mixed up on goes right back to the OPs question. If you eat a vegan diet you are a strict vegetarian . If you are a vegan you eat a strict vegetairian diet and avoid all animal exploitation.

Ok. The reason I chimed in is because of an interview with Rob Zombie. He emphasized that he's an ethical vegan so I did some research to see why he mentioned the ethical bit.

Ok. The reason I chimed in is because of an interview with Rob Zombie. He emphasized that he's an ethical vegan so I did some research to see why he mentioned the ethical bit.
I think many people do that either to eliminate confusion. Also many people do that cause they are confused .

I think Rob is in the former category. :)

But again, IMHO, ethical vegan is redundant. But dietary vegan or vegan diet is sometimes a good qualifier.