Vegan Double Chocolate Muffins

Richard1

Newcomer
Reaction score
Ingredients:
  • 275g self raising flour (gluten free and wholemeal self raising work well too)
  • 200g any sugar (course sugars will remain visible after baking but does not affect the taste)
  • 50g cocoa powder (cheaper the better I've found as these have a creamier quality to their flavour)
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 125ml vegetable oil (any will do but olive oil is not so great, I have a preference for sunflower oil)
  • 200ml soya milk (sweetened or unsweetened, UHT works better, Sainsbury's own brand and basics seem to work best, tesco organic does not work well at all)
  • 100g chocolate chips (I get really cheap bars of plain choc and smash them to bits)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
Method:
  • mix all the dry ingredients with a whisk, no sifting needed
  • whisk the wet ingredients together at high speed with an electric beater
  • mix the wet into the dry and beat them together (dough hooks on hand whisks, K beater or similar on stand mixers)
  • add the chocolate chips
  • stop beating as soon as the mix has been brought together and there's no powdery bits, you don't want it too smooth
  • place into 10 regular or 8 large cake cases (I find the silicone ones best for this, you can get a dozen for a couple of quid on amazon)
  • bake at 200c for 25 mins (fan ovens bake at 190c for 30minc, rotate tray during bake to ensure even baking)
  • remove from the oven and cool on a rack,
delicious hot or cold
(recipe a modified version of a cherry chocolate muffin recipe found on parsleysoup.co.uk this version is for something much richer and to get as close as possible to the muffins I enjoyed as a kid)

monstrous unfortunately
I've done it before. If you have one of those egg whisks that has a handle you turn, that will make mixing the wet ingredients easier and would realistically be the minimum as they need to be really aerated (nearly double the volume).
That said I managed it by using an old litre bottle and shaking it like crazy once.
As for the dry ingredients make sure that you mix them all together thoroughly so there's an even distribution.
Then mixing together I'd use a strong fork and a wooden spoon.
Should turn out the same but it's knackering work.

I should also warn people using very cheap electric mixers that if you use the beaters rather than dough hooks for bringing it all together there is a risk of over-heating. This has happened to me before.

I'll try these out. :)

Don't really want to use oil though..do you think using applesauce or something else will do the job?

I very much doubt it. The fats are pretty critical to mix with the cocoa. This is certainly not a healthy recipe.
It's along the lines of why a mug of cocoa made with milk isn't the same as a mug of hot chocolate.
:(

After further trials, if using caster sugar you should increase it to 225-250g and smashed chocolate is definitely better than chocolate chips.

I very much doubt it. The fats are pretty critical to mix with the cocoa. This is certainly not a healthy recipe.
It's along the lines of why a mug of cocoa made with milk isn't the same as a mug of hot chocolate.
:(

Damn, that makes sense anyway. I was thinking of another recipe I'd seen! I'll still make them. :p

You may not want to see my cookie recipe when I post it. It's basically fat, sugar, cocoa, and a statistically insignificant amount of flour.