Dog obedience classes

RascalsMom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken their dog to obedience classes? I signed up 3 of dogs - our two 8month old chihuahua/min pins & our 10 week old border collie/terrier (? Maybe?). So far we only have had one class. It's every Sunday for 6 weeks. It's GREAT! The first class was extensive, the trainer got to know the dogs and their needs and what we needed to work on. She introduced clicker training. They learned "sit" (which the boys knew, when they felt like it, but the baby didnt) and "watch me" - the watch me is GREAT for Murphy's excessive barking at people/dogs (he loves everyone he just barks for attention) because it focuses him on you instead of whatever he's obsessing over.

Anyway, I really liked it. The dogs all seemed to enjoy it & I think it's going to be very entertaining and stimulating for them. The place is about 40monutes away, but it's so worth it. Te town it's in hasa HUGE dog park near by so we took them there afterwards to burn off any energy they had left before the drive home. They made some friends and it was lots of fun - much bigger than the dog park they go to by our house.

Anyone else do anything like this?

Reactions: Amy SF
I meant to say the first class WASNT extensive. It was more of a meet and greet and introducing basic clicker training.

I took both of our dachshunds to obedience classes and they loved it. My daughter worked with the dogs more than I did, and she enjoyed it, too.

They were great dogs on leash and knew important commands like STOP and Leave It and Come Here. And less important ones, like roll over (hysterical when a dachshund rolls).

I would like to take mine to a few.But I keep thinking it's probably a little on the expensive side so I haven't.

I look at free classes for the community but I've never seen any free dog training classes.It would be nice though.

Last edited:
Poppy absolutely HATED puppy classes, so I never took anyone else. She hid under my chair and would not come out. :(

I would like to take mine to a few.But I keep thinking it's probably a little on the expensive side so I haven't.

I look at free classes for the community but I never seen any free dog training classes.It would be nice though.
We went to ones at the YMCA so they were pretty cheap. I think it was 6 or 8 weekly classes for about $40? And they have us a cute leash. :)

I go to the ones at petsmart (I know..I know.. But it's the only one in the area that's open I Sunday) and it was $297 for 3 dogs, for 6 weeks.

I actually like that it's in the store -- if they can listen with all the distraction of people, dogs, kids, phones, etc.. Then they'll 'get it' at home, too.

Reactions: ledboots

I look at free classes for the community but I've never seen any free dog training classes.It would be nice though.

Same here. I would love to take my Chihuahua since she barks and growls at everyone, but classes seem so expensive. I wish our YMCA offered them. That's really cool that yours did Ledboots.

I go to the ones at petsmart (I know..I know.. But it's the only one in the area that's open I Sunday) and it was $297 for 3 dogs, for 6 weeks.

I thought maybe that's where you were taking them when you mentioned it being every Sunday for 6 weeks. My friend took her dog to classes there and she loved it also. So much so that the trainer is now her official dog sitter for when she goes out of town.