Do you want to live near the beach?

jillyan10

Newcomer
Reaction score
I live here in the mountains and I love it, but I always have dreamed of having a place near the beaches. I want to wake up early in the morning and have a walk on the beaches and watch the sunrise and sunset at the beach. I hope I can make this into reality. I love residing here in the mountains though because of the fresh air and the healthy environment.

Living near the beach is a big dream of mine, actually. For me, there's something that is so calming and soothing about being by the ocean...and my husband feels the same way. I'd like to live in a quieter beach town though, certainly not a super crowded tourist-trap beach area. I think also it would be nice to be able to raise kids near a beach so that they always had an appreciation of both the beauty and the dangers of the ocean. I plan to teach my daughter to swim as soon as she's ready for it, but I think water safety is a huge thing to teach young people about!

I used to live on a beach and it was wonderful. It took a while to get used to the gulls each day, but it was a small price to pay to hear the waves each day from my living room and bedroom.

One day I hope to live by the beach again, there are advantages; you can go for walks and have great views. The down side unless you have a private beach is people walking past all the time and also sand on your deck.

Oh I envy you. We're actually planning to live near both.. we just have some loose ends to tie up here, so it will be a while, but hopefully next year. Heading to the island.. mountains and beach and rain forest and ahhhhh nature. I'm all peaced out in general, because I choose to be.. but that will be the icing on the cake.

I grew up in a pretty picturesque South Florida beach town, and I miss it. Growing up, I hated it. I hated everything about it, including the proximity to the beach. I didn't really know how lucky I was or how good I had it. Now I'd give just about anything to have a beach front address lol.

I live in a large capital city where pollution is king, I like to live here despite of this!

However sometimes I dream on having a second home away, a vacation home near a quiet beach or near a place where the water noise of a running river brings some relaxation to me.

Finding the right beach or the river side place is possible, but having the money to make such a dream coming true, hard to achieve, at least don't think to happen any sooner being as poor as a church mouse as I am... almost, almost, hehe :D

I am quite lucky to live by the beach. Roughly half an hour walk away but honestly I don't think I could live far away from the ocean. I just find it so much prettier than the countryside, in my opinion. The sound of the ocean, the feeling of sand between my toes. It really is such a cliché but I don't care it's true !

My dream house would be any house but with a good view of the ocean..... Hopefully one day....

Yes! I'm envious of anybody who has a house near the ocean. It may be colder and windier most of the time, but it must be so wonderful to just look out of the window... Currently I live in a pretty large town, which is great too, just I think that somewhere calming and cool nearer the sea would be great! Some day...

I would love to live near the beach. I think that it would be great because then I would be able to go all the time. Right now I don't live where there are any beaches. I'm moving soon so I'll be closer to some beaches soon, so I am happy about that.

I grew up in a village by the sea. I find it hard to live inland, only ever managed it for a year. We can see the sea from our bedroom window here, but would like to be much nearer to the seafront even though it's only five minutes walk or so away. I don't like being in, on or under the sea, just beside it.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I live about 15 minutes from the local beach, near the mouth of the Thames Estuary so not exactly one's holiday destination of dreams, but nonetheless we get a lot of London commuters coming down to visit for the day - it can be very pleasant! :)
I'm part of a volunteer clean-up group for my coastline too; other areas are not so lucky to have such a big following regarding keeping their beaches tidy. Tragic how much plastic ends up where I am though, nonetheless.

Not a beach person myself. I abhor the sun, I have title wave dreams when I live near the ocean, and the salt air rusts my cars. Give me the mountains every time. I love hiking, camping, canoeing, and wildlife. You can have the beach. Coastlines are simply disasters waiting to happen thanks to climate change, rising sea levels, and hurricanes. My son loves the beach, He is a Marine Biologist. Even he tells me that the coastlines all over the world are going to be completely unpredictable over the next 100 years.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Hmm, this is an old thread.

Well, I don't have to want. I feel very fortunate living on the coast. I always say that nervously, as we live in a very high earthquake zone. Nonetheless, I can't imagine living anywhere else in the world. I love my place, and I love the beach.

Give me the mountains every time.

Luckily, in BC we have them too :) Again, I say that with apprehension, especially with all the volcano activity going on lately. Still, I can't imagine living inland.

We don't get hurricanes on this coast ;) Even typhoons are rare here. It's just those darn earthquakes and tsunamis that frighten me.

I was born in a mountainous area and am spending the summer in one, but I've lived in some part of coastal CA for the past 8 years. My grandfather was in the Navy for 20+ years and my mom and dad lived in FL before I was born (my mom loves the ocean) and we are part Scots Irish and I've honestly wondered if its ancestral in our case.

Hmm, this is an old thread.

Well, I don't have to want. I feel very fortunate living on the coast. I always say that nervously, as we live in a very high earthquake zone. Nonetheless, I can't imagine living anywhere else in the world. I love my place, and I love the beach.

Luckily, in BC we have them too :) Again, I say that with apprehension, especially with all the volcano activity going on lately. Still, I can't imagine living inland.

We don't get hurricanes on this coast ;) Even typhoons are rare here. It's just those darn earthquakes and tsunamis that frighten me.

I live on the Cascadia Megathrust. Apparently I like to gamble.

I would love to live in Hawaii. It seems beautiful and warm. I have never been there, though. In general, I think it would be great to live by the beach if there wasn't a high likelihood of hurricanes where I lived. I have never lived by a beach, though. I think it would be nice, because I love swimming.

I live in the desert.. Yes. The high Sierra's.. And if anyone tells me again: "OH! That must be GREAT to live up there!" I am going to lose it.

I've traveled all over the world, 2x.. and nothing compares to living near the ocean. The water is calming and soothing.. You learn to have a better perception of life. How? I would stand on the sand and notice how small and miniscule i am compared to the vastness of the ocean. We're nothing compared to nature, really.

I also noticed that people that live near the water are calmer, peaceful types. The ones that lived in-land were always moving faster, paranoid, more aggressive, stressed out - and couldn't wait for the weekends to get to the beaches to relax and enjoy the ocean.

Those who have the privilege of living near water, whether it's a lake, river or an ocean, i envy you.. You have no idea how lucky you truly are!:cold_sweat:

My husband and i are also avid hikers and skiers.. And living out here in the Sierras is a lot cheaper to do both.. But i swear to gawd the moment i win the lottery, i'm getting off this elevated, dusty, rock formation, dust off and grab my bikini and head for the ocean, dudes and dudettes!:blush: