Do you have cravings?

thisnthat

Forum Novice
Reaction score
As was mentioned in another thread, some people are turned off by meat, so this really isn't a problem for them. What about people who like the taste of meat, but want to stop eating it for other reasons? Do you find yourself having strong cravings for certain types of meat? Does it take a long time to move past the cravings?

It's been so long since I've had meat, I don't really crave meat anymore, though I know I did at first. It wasn't long though before I was usually repulsed at the thought of eating any.

Occasionally I'll pass by a food in the supermarket I used to love as a child, like scotch eggs, and crave them for nostalgic reasons, but it's not a strong sort of craving and passes easily.

Reactions: thisnthat
I haven't eaten meat for over 25 years and don't crave it. I do rather like the smell of bacon sizzling when I am in a cafe or roast chicken when I am in the supermarket and even hot dogs in a fair, but I am never tempted to eat any.

The smells are childhood memories really and that's all like comfort food, they evoke a time of innocence for me. There are veggie bacon rashers available and they are great to eat and quick to cook. I use them in sandwiches and chopped up in a pasta dish or omelet.

I'm a little ashamed but yes I do. Mostly for seafood. I don't give in to them, of course. Sushi is my biggest craving and it's something that I have a hard time explaining to my husband who is not vegetarian. Sushi was basically our go-to date before we got married, something that we pretty much bonded over. I eat sushi without fish, so just vegetables and stuff, but for some reason it annoys him lol

Cravings is a weird subject because some people get them and others don't. When I stopped eating meat, I didn't have any cravings after the first week. I used to love certain meat dishes but I found becoming vegetarian was way easier than I thought it would be. On the other hand, I used to date a girl who went vegetarian and she craved meat a lot. We might go to a BBQ and she'd be wistfully eyeing the grill while I didn't care about the meat at all. She was just as serious about being vegetarian as I was. Neither of us cheated. I don't really know what the difference between us was.

Everybody has cravings, that's completely normal. To curb my cravings during my transition I have to find something other than food that satisfies me. Writing always does the trick. I find gratification in my work, so much so that I forget to pig out.

Junk food has very little effect on me when I have my words before me.

I have found it difficult to get through this summer because two of my neighbours have been BBQ'ing meat on a regular basis. The smells makes me wretch and gag, I have to close all windows. Honestly I just smell death now and I absolutely do not crave it.