Do you eat dessert?

RascalsMom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I like to read the threads were people post what they are eating/making for supper, etc, for me ideas. A lot of times I see people post what they had for dessert and it made me wonder, do you eat dessert regularly? Do you plan for dessert?

I didn't grow up having desserts after any meals and I still don't ever have a planned dessert. Sometimes we will have a snack a few hours after bed time, though.

How about you? Do you have desserts? How often? What are your favorite kinds? Did you grow up being served desserts? Regularly or only on special occasions?

Yes, yes, yes, YES, YES...............................................................:p
For me, dessert is part of the meal and I usually have fruit and or yogurt.

I hate it when I'm at someone's place and they don't serve dessert, because my meal isn't complete.

Reactions: KLS52
No not usually. Growing up we had homemade desserts about once a week. These days we have planned homemade desserts very rarely (like, once every few months), since my better half is on a diet. If it were just me, I'd have them more often!

Sometimes we have something sweet after dinner, but if it isn't a pudding type of desert/homemade it doesn't feel like a dessert, just snacking.

I love going home because my mum cooks crumbles and pies and cakes and puddings all week long. I waddle when I get home :p Similarly, when I have people to stay/eat I plan desserts for them.

After every supper, yeah. Sometimes it's just fruit, but usually I have something prepared. I feel really ill if I don't eat a bite of something sweet after dinner. Also, I like to exercise my culinary muscles whenever I can.

I did not grow up this way, but as long as I've been on my own I've had fruit after dinner but I don't ever cook when it's just me. Now that I cook all the time, I bake, too.

Growing up dessert was a part of our main meal all the time. Any family gathering included several choices for dessert so dessert has been a part of my life forever. I LOVE sweets and though I do not have a "planned" dessert very often, I do sometimes have some fruit or a smoothie or an ice cream treat in the evening. If I wasn't trying to lose weight, I would make brownies and cookies and cakes for dessert all the time! :D

Yes, but its usually not something I make along side the meal myself. 99% of the time its just shop bought cake, biscuits with tea, fruit pie or dairyfree icecream. I always need something sweet to finish a meal with :)

Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Yes, but not every night. I try to keep it to a couple of times a week, but sometimes I have it more often. We grew up having sweet desserts about once a week, usually on Sundays because we always had a big late-afternoon dinner (post-church and all). My mom always had homemade cookies, cakes, breads or pies around.

Nooo. when I was growing up my mum never made dessert, it was only round my grandparent's house i got it. so im just used to not having it. boring!

After dinner? Never. At 4:00 in the afternoon or 10:30 at night? Absolutely!

Growing up, dessert was for the boys. We girls had to watch our figures. If I did say that I wanted dessert, I was only served a sliver. :ignore:

I am not a big sweets person. I love baking and making sweets, but if I have more then a bite of what I baked that is rare.

Reactions: RascalsMom
Growing up dessert was always a normal part of the meal and I loved desserts. Now at my age, I have very little interest in desserts. To me, the rest of the meal is more important than dessert, and much of the time, I'm fine with skipping dessert altogether. Especially when I've had a really wonderful meal that fills me up. When I'm at home or at my mother's house, I might have some fruit or a cookie or two afterwards and call it "dessert", but I don't make a big deal out of having desserts.

Last month my sister had a family get together at her house and ordered a chocolate cake from Whole Foods. It was probably the best store bought cake I've ever had. Normally I don't include cake in leftovers I take home from these family gatherings, but this time I took home two large pieces and had a major orgasm when I ate them! :p I wished I had more! Still, it's not something I want to eat after every meal or I'd blow up several sizes!

When I was growing up, proper dessert was for holidays.

Now, I sometimes eat something sweet after dinner, but it's often a bit later - not directly after.

My mother has always loved to bake, so we would often have cookies or something else sweet in the house, and if we did, we would have it after dinner - but she rarely made something specifically for dessert. Eating out was a different matter, she always told me to "save room for desert" and we would split something - usually something decadent, and usually something chocolate.

And she's not against having a "snack" in the afternoon of a glass of tea and a cookie or two.

Now though, I rarely have dessert, as bf doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and I rarely bake just for myself. Sometimes though I will bake a fruit pie or some cookies or something. If I want something sweet after dinner, I usually have a square or two of chocolate.

Cute family anecdote:

When my sister was a strict vegetarian and her kids were very young, we were all having dinner at my parents' house one night. My sister gently scolded her daughter because she wasn't eating her vegetables, and my niece pointed out that her brother wasn't eating his vegetables, either. My nephew said "I'm saving room for dessert!" and my niece then responded "He's a dessertatarian!" :p

I almost always need something sweet after meals. It's not usually anything fancy...1-2 cookies, a graham cracker or piece of chocolate will hit the spot. Sadly, fruit doesn't work for me for dessert. I love fruit first thing in the morning, especially watermelon. As a rule, I only eat fruit on an empty stomach.

I don't really think about it, but I do eat a lot of treats. Not really dessert though. Sometimes after dinner we agree that it wasn't quite enough and we want something sweet, so we rustle up something from the cupboards or go get 'ice cream'. I don't really plan it, and when I do cook treats (like the fudge I just made today!) it'll be for any time. We'll probably eat it before dinner, actually...

Growing up we only had dessert on holidays and on birthdays. I've never ordered dessert at restaurants either. My mom was never into baking except while she was pregnant with my sister since her big pregnancy craving was strawberry cake and frosting. From a box mix of course.:rolleyes:

I always snack before I go to bed , but it's usually on something salty, crunchy, or spicy. I always have to have a cup of tea after each meal though.

Growing up, dessert was for the boys. We girls had to watch our figures. If I did say that I wanted dessert, I was only served a sliver. :ignore:

:no:I don't like this at all and it makes me sad to know you had to grow up being told this.

Aw, thanks. Yeah, my mother was a piece of work - still is, in many ways.

Evryone knows that little girls are made of sugar and spice ! :D

SBC_db-3270_0.jpg

Reactions: Poppy