Do vegans really need multivitamins?

in the usa most mushroom farmers now dose their shrooms with uv to stimulate stable production of vitamin D. mushrooms exposed to uv or direct sunlight for 24-48 hrs are fantastic sources of D2.

vegan D3 is available now: Vegan and Vegetarian Vitamin D3 - About Vitashine D3Vitashine D3
the evidence suggesting that D2 is less effective is somewhat questionable with conflicting reports in the literature.
I don't think most mushroom farmers do that, after all, it adds costs. If you're buying bulk mushrooms or the packaging doesn't mention it then they are unlikely to have been exposed to UV. But I see these sorts of mushrooms here and there at the grocery store but even though I love mushrooms I wouldn't bother with them as a source of vitamin D.

I wouldn't trust the vegan D3, one basically has to take the companies word for it. Of course.....there is always sunshine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I take sevenseas vegan multivitamins at the moment, so should I just carry on with those maybe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 150
I take sevenseas vegan multivitamins at the moment, so should I just carry on with those maybe?
That one seems to have a lot of different vitamins & minerals. It's probably better than nothing.

The B12 content is a bit low, despite the fact that it's 100% of the RDA - 2.5 mcg. You can make up for it (daily) e.g. by drinking B12-fortified plant milks.

The vitamin D content is low too, but the same is true for the Veg1 supplement I recommended.

There is no iodine, but it seems to have good levels of iron and zink, and there is also a little calcium. You can get iodine from iodized table salt.

(It seems there are no multi-vitamins that cover all bases. Personally, I do a combination of Veg1 with extra zink and vitamin D.)

The "multivitamins don't work" study only looked at certain vitamins, and B12 was not one of them. I don't think it considered vitamin D either.

Vegans definitely do need a reliable source and sufficient amounts of B12. The best source of this is supplements. I think it might also be possible to get enough B12 from fortified foods, but it requires some planning. (I wouldn't personally recommend relying entirely on fortified foods for B12.)

We also need a source of vitamin D. We can get a lot through exposure to the sun, but only in the summer months when the sun is high in the sky.

Since you're in England, I would really recommend Veg1 which is a "small" multivitamin that contains only the vitamins and minerals that vegans tend to not get enough of in our diet. It's available from the Vegan Society's web shop:
VEG1 Blackcurrant 90's | The Vegan Society
(You might find it elsewhere as well, if you google.)

It's a good idea to consume e.g. fortified plant milks as well, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the link, I have been looking for a simple supplement specifically made for vegans. Also looking for vegan omega 3, anyone have information on that or think that is necessary?

A study conducted by researchers at cancer centers across the US has found a link between omega-3 fatty acids and an increased risk of prostate cancer. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish including salmon, trout, and fresh tuna, and in fish oil supplements.

The study, published online July 10 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, looked at blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids in some of the men enrolled in the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) of more than 35,000 men over age 50 in the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada. The study did not collect information on the men’s diets. Therefore, it’s not clear whether the omega-3 fatty acids in their blood came from food or from supplements.

The analysis compared 834 men from the trial who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer to a comparison group of 1,393 men selected randomly from all 35,000 participants. The researchers expected to find a protective factor from the presence of omega-3 fatty acids in the blood. Instead, they found that those with the highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids had a 43% higher risk of developing prostate cancer, and a 71% higher chance of developing high-grade prostate cancer, which is more likely to be fatal. Previous studies found similar results.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Linked to Increase in Prostate Cancer Risk