Do vegans get a lot of hate?

HollyW

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi. I joined here to find people who are supportive and can help! I'm new at being vegan. One thing that has happened so far is when I said I wasn't going to eat animal products anymore my roommate started arguing with me and she was getting heated to the point of yelling and telling me I'm young and dumb and doesn't think I'll last two weeks. I didn't understand why she would get so angry and I was calm the whole time I don't like to argue with people. I asked my best friend who's vegan if this happens to her and she said yes I get crap all the time.
So I was wondering if this is a thing ? Why would someone be so angry and argumentative over this? How do you respond to people like this?

Also this is a different topic but if anyone has good vegan recipes or food products they love please share !! :)

I haven't had anyone hate on me for being vegan (yet). I'm about 2 months in and so far I haven't had anyone say negative things about my diet choices. I usually tell them that my cholesterol went way down, which makes the diet seem feasible from a medical/health standpoint. And no one has asked me how I get my protein either. :)

The only issue I ever have is finding a place to eat out. It can be stressful driving around looking for vegan options. Where I live, there aren't that many. Instead I found it is best to research places to eat online first. That way there is no issues when it is time to get together and eat.

I sympathise with your experience, even vegetarians get the occasional jabs from people who don't understand. I come from a big family of meat-eaters. 13 years as the only vegetarian in the family and I endured a lot of light-hearted teasing plus general confusion; some people are really boggled by why anyone would be veggie let alone vegan. Ethical arguments tend to just irritate people into thinking you're egotistical.

My mum wasn't too pleased when she learned I'd switched to vegan about a fortnight ago, either - she certainly took it harder than when I went vegetarian!

We really have no power over what others may think of our diet choices, but it's not as if we're hurting anyone either, quite the opposite... To an outsider it's none of their business. But this roommate of yours sounds completely out of order: it's not as if you're forcing her to be vegan, too! Sounds like your decision has struck a chord of insecurity in her, and she's lashing out. :/

One of the first reactions from a friend was negative because they felt we were being or sounding or acting superior and so they started listing off "well at least I don't _______ like you do". I would hope we weren't sounding like that and we certainly are not perfect in many areas of our lives. The challenge with being vegan is that unless we never eat in public or with family or friends it is very 'in your face' and like Christine says it is often there own insecurities that make them lash out.

Good luck with your roommate and I would bet if you cooked a few simple dishes and shared them... they would be singing a different tune. When it comes to cooking and recipes there are tons out there on YouTube and on websites. I love watching High Carb Hannah cooking videos and also Maddie Lymburner as they both keep things very simple and don't use oil in their cooking. I have a few recipe and meal ideas on my website too.

Emma JC

I won't even tell people. I have only told my mom and a few close friends but it comes out, eventually. You know, how do you know if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you. Well, people don't really mind their own business. For example, if you don't put meat on your plate. Why didn't you put meat on your plate? Welllll...

Don't get me wrong, I want people to be informed. It may actually plant a seed which will grow into their own journey into this lifestyle but it's usually pointless. Even a friend I've had for years bullied me. After I told her, she immediately went on a weekend binge of dairy & meat posted on social media along with memes mocking the lifestyle. Of course, I wasn't offended. I believe in the diet. The behavior is quite odd. That is all I've encountered personally but I've only been doing this (again) for a month. I have bounced in and out bc I wasn't properly educated about nutrition and thought I was dying during previous attempts ( I probably was bc I didn't know about B12).

My worst encounter with rude people has been on social media. I follow a few vegan pages on there. I don't comment. I just read what other people say and people are super mean. I'm not sure why people are so offended by this diet but it triggers a strong emotional response from meat eaters. I understand if someone is forcing them to give up meat against their will but they are just offended that anyone follows this diet.

As far as recipes, I have the Forks Over Knives recipe book and it is AMAZING! Everything I have made is delicious. :)

Think about what society tells us. We are bombarded with commercials that encourage us to eat unhealthy food choices. The government is completely in bed with the industries that are killing us with their products. Basically, we are conditioned to think of meat and dairy as necessary to sustain life. People buy into what they hear from their parents, the idiot box, and the government. Now you come along with your fancy vegan ideals and diet and turn all that on its ear. Of course people are going to react negatively to you and what you represent. Somewhere in the back of these people's minds, they know that they haven't really put any thought into what they are shoving in their mouths every day and you come along and challenge one of their comfort zones by refusing to just go along. I can assure you that they don't even know why they are reacting negatively to your lifestyle but it really shouldn't bother you either. The best reaction you can have is to be equanimous towards both their praises and their negativity. Have exactly the same reaction to both behaviors which should be no reaction at all.

It's kind of hit or miss, honestly. You may never have another interaction like this or you may have a dozen. Personally, I've had quite a few negative experiences and from my perspective it tends to stem from their own insecurity. The meat and dairy industries have spent a LOT of money and time in convincing the general public that meat and dairy animals lived and died happily, and when you express your dietary choices people tend to get very insecure about their dietary choices.

I received a slight "barb" at my diet from my dear sister this week that I wasn't expecting. It is kind of off-putting to get a jab at one's veganism out of the blue every now and then. It didn't really bother me but I kind of took notice of it thanks to this thread. I have had ongoing issues with kidney stones for decades and recently had the "pleasure" of passing one this past week. My sister decided it was time to take a jab at my diet as if it were related to the kidney stones. My kidney stones are calcium based and since I have stopped consuming dairy, the likelihood of developing kidney stones should have actually decreased due to my new diet not increased as my sister tried to point out but this is just one more example of how non-vegans see vegan diets. If anything goes wrong with you, it must be because of your veganism. The last stones I had were 18 years ago. I'm sure residual kidney stone formations will be with me for years to come regardless of my current diet.

There are many surprised faces as far as my friends go. They could never imagine giving up meat let alone the other junk they eat (sweets, soda, etc.) Not only is unhealthy eating enforced by society and government, but it is also reinforced by peers. It truly is mind boggling.