Do Certain Animals Feel Less Pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mork

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Do lower animals like chickens fish lobster and crabs feel less pain than higher animals

So is it more moral to eat chicken than pork or grasshoppers rather than lobster?

Im still in the converting process but if I do fail I choose a lower animal to eat based on this principle and because they have lower lives than say an intelligent pig, that makes it seem less immoral even though it is still lower in morality than a full vegan diet choice

So is it more moral to eat chicken than pork or grasshoppers rather than lobster?

Im still in the converting process but if I do fail I choose a lower animal to eat based on this principle and because they have lower lives than say an intelligent pig, that makes it seem less immoral even though it is still lower in morality than a full vegan diet choice

I don't think morality works like that.
Would a murderer be less immoral if he only killed first graders? or what if he only killed senior citizens?

Would a murderer be less immoral if he only killed first graders? or what if he only killed senior citizens?
yes he would be more moral obviously, to kill older people, obviously its more complex than that but if all else was equal and those were the only 2 choices, its just obviously true, its basic logic and common sense

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: silva
Wonder if Morks answer about what they felt was "obviously the seniors" deleted by Mork or admin?

yes he would be more moral obviously, to kill older people, obviously its more complex than that but if all else was equal and those were the only 2 choices, its just obviously true, its basic logic and common sense
Wow. It is still there! and now will forever be there!

There is a lot that we still don't know about perception, intelligence, and neurobiology in general. Especially when you consider all the variation between species.

There are no "lower" or "higher" animals. Intelligence is in the eye of the beholder, and it's a human concept. We don't know what other animals experience.

In some Asian cultures, older people are valued quite highly.

Im sure they are and rightly so (IF they know better and are wise experienced etc) but they only have a few more years to go a younger person has their whole life ahead of them usually. So the moral choice if no other option are available is obvious, but I dont want to debate that further.

Last edited:
Anyway any science on whether a fish or chicken feels more or less pain than say a pig or a human? Im guessing the older (more ancient in evolution ) and more simple the life the less pain it feels. But I do not now for sure, do you know?

Any science on this?

Dawkings say that simpler life may need to feel more pain in order to survive because they cant rely on things like intelligence like a pig can.

But at the same time vegetables dont feel pain, insects dont feel pain, there seems to be some correlation with simplicity and a lack of pain also.

Last edited:
Do lower animals like chickens fish lobster and crabs feel less pain than higher animals

Go try and catch a wild chicken. Does it run or fly away? Well, that probably means it feels threatened. So leave it alone. You can eat meals based on rice or beans or pasta. Millions of people eat such a diet - it doesn’t require any superior willpower or strength. I’ve been doing it for almost 30 years, and I’m a skinny, middle-aged computer-jockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mork
Go try and catch a wild chicken. Does it run or fly away? Well, that probably means it feels threatened. So leave it alone. You can eat meals based on rice or beans or pasta. Millions of people eat such a diet - it doesn’t require any superior willpower or strength. I’ve been doing it for almost 30 years, and I’m a skinny, middle-aged computer-jockey.
Just wanted to know the truth or science on the matter but I guess it doesn't exist yet?. Dawkings doesn't know, its important knowledge for vegans imo because our mission is to save lives but more importantly its to reduce suffering, this knowledge can be used tactically and strategically to that end. Unfortunately its not available.

I would tell people if you cant give up meat eat chicken and fish rather than pork and beef (which could be better than just eating all meat) but it could be that fish and chickens feel pain just as much as cows and pigs so we cant use that" seemingly cruel but actually kinder strategy"

I was think a good argument is if you cant give up meat give up pork and beef because its esp bad for you compared to leaner meat, the animals are higher animals, and have richer lives and possibly feel more pain, and they cause the most damage to the planet to boot, so its a good persuasive logically sound argument I thought of that could save more lives and prevent more suffering than the rather stupid simplistic attempt to make everyone vegan and only getting 1% of people to convert

Its better to give them morality levels to shoot for, of varying levels and be extra supportive of them even if they still eat meat, (we need them we cant afford to hate them/have ill will because it hurts the animals). Rather than to say go all out vegan or we hate you, and we will only try for this low % strategy because we are not thinking logically just emotionally.

We need to be more like Dr's or Vets and less like someones worried grandma, sometimes a vet has to hurt the animal to save its life. We need to do the same in a "numbers game" dynamic

Last edited:
MOD POST
I've decided to lock this thread because what this forum promotes is a vegan lifestyle - see our rule #1 - and we do not try to find justifications for meat-eating. I understand the arguments about potentially reducing total suffering and encouraging meat-eaters to eat less meat or to eat meat that has somehow created less suffering than another type. Encouraging reduction in meat consumption is fine, but we want people to give up meat, not invent reasons for them to feel better about eating a certain type of meat. At this point in time there is a wide varity of delicious vegan food, and there should be something for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.