Disappointed in forum Vegans

YPCOG

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Im pretty upset at this forum. I just joined and unless im missing something I see nothing on what are the most necessary foods that will help you thrive as a vegan. I mostly see and hear sad animal lovers complaining about how non vegans treat animals. Y’all still rely on replacement meals instead of digging into true nutrients, & vitamins contained in vegetables, fruits, & non dairy products. There is good science on how vegetables, legumes, fruits, and non dairy natural products help the human body. In particular against diseases. I was really hoping for support but all of you are just sad about an animal dying and say this is what began your journey. Why don’t we shift our focus??? Geez im depressed just reading these threads. Can someone please point me to good scientific evidence and what types of foods to consume daily and why? I dont care for recipes I’ll make my own. Please someone help. I’ve learned more from a book called “Eat To Live” than I will ever learn here.

I'm very impressed that you can judge people's diets so far based on post on a forum you just joined. And as you probably has seen and are upset about, we are very interesting in discussing a lot of topics beside how to boil beans the best way.

You will also find out very soon that most of us are way beyond that part about who is the better vegan or do vegan best. As silva says, it's not a diet, but on the other hand, the list of animals that care about why you are vegan, is short (and often just other vegans...).

If you really want information, help etc, I suggest you to start a topic about it, and not just complaining about how depressed you get from hanging out with us... Perhaps people are interesting helping then. :)

WHOA. Veganism does (or should) include a concern about eating in a way that promotes human health. I think it's shameful that most people seem to care so little about animals. But I wouldn't understand if someone were to avoid eating animals and their body products, but not care about harming themselves, either!

I avoid foods of animals origin primarily because I want to avoid harming animals, yes. I think I could include moderate amounts of non-vegan food in my diet without harming myself. But I do care for my own health too, by the way I eat, by getting enough exercise, etc.

Reactions: vesper818 and Lou
I think you criticism is unjust.

Three are hundred (maybe thousands) of threads here and probably ten of thousands of posts. (sorry I know that there must be an official count here but I don't know where). You've been a member for less than two weeks and this is only your second post. There wasn't much of a response to your first post. but it wasn't really a question.*

If you have questions, just ask them. IMHO we are great at answering questions. (not so great on staying on topic - but some of our diversions are interesting and fun).

Just using the built in search function, the word "nutrient" has been used in over 1000 posts. Oh. wait. Probably more than a thousand times. I think 1000 is as far as it can count.

The search words, vitamins, "whole food plant based", and disease are mentioned over 1000 times too.

Gregar is only mentioned 600 times. Same with Fuhrman. Barnard is mentioned 800 times.

Probably everything you are looking for is already here. and if not, or if you can't find it, just post a question. I for one would be happy to answer it.

And if there is something you wish to share - that is great too. A lot of us have read Eat to Live and a lot of the other WFPB diet books. in fact, not long ago we had a decent discussion on "The different schools of WFPB eating for health"

I also will bring up that just like everthing else, about 80% of the posts here are generated by less than 20% of our membership. And some of those are old-timers. They probably have seen every question and answer. Some of the typical novice vegan concerns are old hat to them. Maybe even boring. Some issues are just background to them. But its rare that a new member's question goes unanswered.

So again if you have a specific question - shoot.

* BTW, I didn't respond to your first post because the beginning of my vegan journey was so atypical it isn't really worth counting. Plus to do a Zoom meeting I would have to give you my email address and I would have to know you better for that.

Im pretty upset at this forum. I just joined and unless im missing something I see nothing on what are the most necessary foods that will help you thrive as a vegan. I mostly see and hear sad animal lovers complaining about how non vegans treat animals. Y’all still rely on replacement meals instead of digging into true nutrients, & vitamins contained in vegetables, fruits, & non dairy products. There is good science on how vegetables, legumes, fruits, and non dairy natural products help the human body. In particular against diseases. I was really hoping for support but all of you are just sad about an animal dying and say this is what began your journey. Why don’t we shift our focus??? Geez im depressed just reading these threads. Can someone please point me to good scientific evidence and what types of foods to consume daily and why? I dont care for recipes I’ll make my own. Please someone help. I’ve learned more from a book called “Eat To Live” than I will ever learn here.
Good way to start out on the wrong foot. But I won’t hold that against you since it’s your first post. If this forum is such a disappointment there is a ton of information on the internet. Perhaps you should try googling for what you’re looking for since you are obviously lacking in people skills. We are a community that cares deeply about animal rights/welfare and each other. Or like Mikkel suggested, how about starting a thread with specifics as to what it is you want to know, and try leaving out the criticism of people you know nothing about. So let’s try this again, shall we? Clean slate now that we both got that off our chests.
Welcome to VF!

Correction your second post. Missed the first one.

Reactions: Lou
Well, veganism is an ethical stance, not a diet.
Sounds like your looking interested in a whole food plant based diet, where the focus is on health.
We're more about the health of others :shrug:

Here ya' go--

Vegan doesn't imply wfpb
wfpb doesn't imply vegan
Im not inplying I don’t care of animals. But the definition of a Vegan is one who eats whole vegetables and no animal products. I understand all your stance but when I join a vegan forum I expect to talk about Vegan things. The ethical side I dont believe should be a part of this forum but I should have read instead of going with what the definition of Vegan means. So that is my fault.

Reactions: Blues and KLS52
Im not inplying I don’t care of animals. But the definition of a Vegan is one who eats whole vegetables and no animal products. I understand all your stance but when I join a vegan forum I expect to talk about Vegan things. The ethical side I dont believe should be a part of this forum but I should have read instead of going with what the definition of Vegan means. So that is my fault.
see. you learned something today. :):)

A vegan doesn't eat things that contain animal products. There is no requirement other than that when it comes to diet.
Vegans can be whole plant food only, or eat processed foods, and anything in between.

I have often thought we should have more threads related to whole plant based foods and nutrition.
Most of us do eat a mixed diet. I'm all for threads to discuss health without criticising personal food choices

I have often thought we should have more threads related to whole plant based foods and nutrition.
Most of us do eat a mixed diet. I'm all for threads to discuss health without criticising personal food choices
Well as I told YPCOG, we have hundreds of posts on WFPB and nutrition. But if you are suggesting a special category (maybe under the "Health And Body" category,) I second the motion.

The point of being vegan is to not exploit animals, nothing more. Plants are healthy, but that is not the point of veganism. Eating plants for health is another matter, and if you're only doing it for health then it's not veganism. No one avoids leather for health for example.

Your post is the definition of confirmation bias. As someone who has not been on here for more than 7 months.. there are an abundance of posts on the nutrients, science, and many more health-related non-ethical arguments. It would be more effective to ask this forum rather than accuse and shame by generalizing people.

The ethical side is going to be a big part of the forum because it is literally what veganism is about by its very definition. If you want advice about specific nutritional aspects you can make a post to ask. People aren't obliged to make full posts about all these aspects in anticipation of questions.

The ethical side is going to be a big part of the forum because it is literally what veganism is about by its very definition. If you want advice about specific nutritional aspects you can make a post to ask. People aren't obliged to make full posts about all these aspects in anticipation of questions.
Also, It's hardly surprising that you're going to get more information about a specific topic when you seek out materials (i.e the book you mentioned) that are literally based on that topic. So it's not really the most credible point you can make against this forum.

Vegan Nutrition References.

Links online and books of use to learn about nutrition aspects of veganism.

1. PCRM Website and books.

This is how not to die!
1611434072664.png

The number one cause of death and disease in the United States is diet, but life and death decisions should not be a lottery!

Subscribe: subscribe to the exam room on Google play
subscribe to the exam room on stitcher Spotify

Michael Greger, M.D., of NutritionFacts.org, joins “The Weight Loss Champion” Chuck Carroll to show you how to change your fortunes by changing your diet and lowering your risk of death from preventable, diet-related conditions.

Dr. Greger also discusses how you can break your food addiction and what got you hooked on food to begin with!

Plus, Dr. Greger takes your questions on nutrition.

The episode was taped on location at the International Conference on Nutrition in Medicine in Washington, D.C., and streamed live on Facebook.

In This Episode

Lowering your risk of dying from the leading causes of death
Why you’re addicted to food and how to break it
Are whole plant foods healthier than processed vegan foods?
The foods we should be eating every day
The effect of natural peanut butter on triglycerides
The best way to transition to a plant-based diet
How to burn fat on a diet based on carbs
The healthiest plant-based milk
Which is the healthier form of vitamin B12: cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin?
Meat alternatives

PCRM is a huge collection of nutritional experts very influencial in the USA. People's Committee for Responsible Medicine.

2. VIVA UKVegan organisation.

A varied diet based on the foods in the table below ensures adequate intake of all essential nutrients and many more beneficial ones such as antioxidants. A healthy vegan diet is one consisting mainly of fruit and vegetables, pulses, wholegrains and nuts and seeds. It provides the body with all it needs and the only vitamin required to be supplemented is vitamin B12. It can be taken either in the form of food supplements or enriched foods, such as plant milks or margarines. B12 supplementation is not only recommended to vegans but to everyone over the age of 50, regardless of the diet, as the body’s ability to absorb this vitamin declines with age.

Over the winter months, vitamin D supplementation is also recommended to everyone in the UK. Not all vitamin D is vegan though – vitamin D2 is and some vitamin D3 can be too but make sure you know the source (most vitamin D3 is animal derived).

To ensure sufficient intake of essential omega-3 fats, natural sources should be made part of a daily diet – milled flaxseed (linseed) or hempseed and their oils for cold food preparation, rapeseed oil for cooking and some nuts and seeds as a healthy addition to meals – eg walnuts and chia seeds.

Nutrition status of vegetarians and vegans
There are many recent studies analysing the diet composition and nutrient intakes of vegetarians and vegans from across the world:

In the most recent one, vegan, vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian and omnivore diets were studied and compared in Belgium (Clarys et al., 2014). Vegans had the healthiest weight among all groups and received the highest score on the healthy eating scale (measured by two different ranking systems). The higher the score, the healthier the diet and the lower the risk of a number of chronic and lifestyle related diseases. The fat intake of the vegan group was better (more unsaturated healthy fats and less saturated fats) than in the other groups and they were also found to consume the most fibre and iron. Calcium intake was lower than in the other dietary patterns but still above the UK recommended dose (700 mg). Vegan protein intake was more than sufficient, whilst in meat eaters it reached almost twice the recommended intake levels, which has been shown to have negative health effects.
A similar study comparing various dietary patterns (omnivore, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and vegan) in the US and Canada brought similar results (Rizzo et al., 2013). Vegans had the healthiest body weights, the highest intake of fibre and the lowest fat intake. The overall fat intake of vegans was healthier than in the other groups – they ate the least saturated and trans fats. The vegan group was found to have more than sufficient intakes of protein, vitamins and minerals (including calcium and iron above recommended intake). Based on the findings, the study authors suggested that the health protective effects of plant-based diets can be ascribed to the generally healthier profile of vegetarian diets.
When Davey et al. (2003) analysed food intakes of British vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters, their findings were in line with the above. Vegans had the lowest intake of saturated fats and the highest intakes of fibre, vitamin B1, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and iron. The only mineral that was slightly below the recommended intake in some vegans was calcium but overall, vegans showed to have adequate intakes of all essential nutrients and had the healthiest fat intake profile (the least saturated and the most unsaturated fats). The healthfulness of vegan diets was also confirmed by a later study of UK population in which vegan diets had the best nutrient profiles of all diet groups, including the lowest fat and the highest fibre intakes (Key et al., 2014).
Orlich et al. (2014) looked at vegetarian and non-vegetarian diets more closely to assess the main differences. They found that vegans eat the most fruit, vegetables, soya and soya products, grains, pulses, nuts and seeds; and the least sweets, fizzy drinks, fried potatoes, refined cereals and added fats. Overall, vegetarian diets, and especially vegan ones, had much healthier patterns than omnivorous diets reflecting that plant-based diets are not based simply on exclusion of animal products but lead to a higher quality diet.
For more information on nutrients, their importance and best vegan sources see our exclusive new resource:

A-Z of Nutrients

Nutrition In A Nutshell
Nutrition in a Nutshell
A handy guide showing you how healthy and nutritious a plant-based diet is. Your questions about protein, iron and calcium answered here! Includes a vitamin chart and where to obtain all the nutrients you need on a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Written by Juliet Gellatley, Founder & Director, Viva! and Nutritional Therapist. Introduction by Audrey Eyton, author of the F Plan Diet and F2 Diet.

This post has been categorised in: All Print Materials, Guides