Disappointed in forum Vegans

Thank you so much!! this is wholesome!!

Vegan Nutrition References. Links online and books of use to learn about nutrition aspects of veganism. 1. PCRM Website and books. This is how not to die! View attachment 23408 The number one cause of death and disease in the United States is diet, but life and death decisions should not be a lottery! Subscribe: subscribe to the exam room on Google play subscribe to the exam room on stitcher Spotify Michael Greger, M.D., of NutritionFacts.org, joins “The Weight Loss Champion” Chuck Carroll to show you how to change your fortunes by changing your diet and lowering your risk of death from preventable, diet-related conditions. Dr. Greger also discusses how you can break your food addiction and what got you hooked on food to begin with! Plus, Dr. Greger takes your questions on nutrition. The episode was taped on location at the International Conference on Nutrition in Medicine in Washington, D.C., and streamed live on Facebook. In This Episode Lowering your risk of dying from the leading causes of death Why you’re addicted to food and how to break it Are whole plant foods healthier than processed vegan foods? The foods we should be eating every day The effect of natural peanut butter on triglycerides The best way to transition to a plant-based diet How to burn fat on a diet based on carbs The healthiest plant-based milk Which is the healthier form of vitamin B12: cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin? Meat alternatives PCRM is a huge collection of nutritional experts very influencial in the USA. People's Committee for Responsible Medicine. 2. VIVA UKVegan organisation. A varied diet based on the foods in the table below ensures adequate intake of all essential nutrients and many more beneficial ones such as antioxidants. A healthy vegan diet is one consisting mainly of fruit and vegetables, pulses, wholegrains and nuts and seeds. It provides the body with all it needs and the only vitamin required to be supplemented is vitamin B12. It can be taken either in the form of food supplements or enriched foods, such as plant milks or margarines. B12 supplementation is not only recommended to vegans but to everyone over the age of 50, regardless of the diet, as the body’s ability to absorb this vitamin declines with age. Over the winter months, vitamin D supplementation is also recommended to everyone in the UK. Not all vitamin D is vegan though – vitamin D2 is and some vitamin D3 can be too but make sure you know the source (most vitamin D3 is animal derived). To ensure sufficient intake of essential omega-3 fats, natural sources should be made part of a daily diet – milled flaxseed (linseed) or hempseed and their oils for cold food preparation, rapeseed oil for cooking and some nuts and seeds as a healthy addition to meals – eg walnuts and chia seeds. Nutrition status of vegetarians and vegans There are many recent studies analysing the diet composition and nutrient intakes of vegetarians and vegans from across the world: In the most recent one, vegan, vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian and omnivore diets were studied and compared in Belgium (Clarys et al., 2014). Vegans had the healthiest weight among all groups and received the highest score on the healthy eating scale (measured by two different ranking systems). The higher the score, the healthier the diet and the lower the risk of a number of chronic and lifestyle related diseases. The fat intake of the vegan group was better (more unsaturated healthy fats and less saturated fats) than in the other groups and they were also found to consume the most fibre and iron. Calcium intake was lower than in the other dietary patterns but still above the UK recommended dose (700 mg). Vegan protein intake was more than sufficient, whilst in meat eaters it reached almost twice the recommended intake levels, which has been shown to have negative health effects. A similar study comparing various dietary patterns (omnivore, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and vegan) in the US and Canada brought similar results (Rizzo et al., 2013). Vegans had the healthiest body weights, the highest intake of fibre and the lowest fat intake. The overall fat intake of vegans was healthier than in the other groups – they ate the least saturated and trans fats. The vegan group was found to have more than sufficient intakes of protein, vitamins and minerals (including calcium and iron above recommended intake). Based on the findings, the study authors suggested that the health protective effects of plant-based diets can be ascribed to the generally healthier profile of vegetarian diets. When Davey et al. (2003) analysed food intakes of British vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters, their findings were in line with the above. Vegans had the lowest intake of saturated fats and the highest intakes of fibre, vitamin B1, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and iron. The only mineral that was slightly below the recommended intake in some vegans was calcium but overall, vegans showed to have adequate intakes of all essential nutrients and had the healthiest fat intake profile (the least saturated and the most unsaturated fats). The healthfulness of vegan diets was also confirmed by a later study of UK population in which vegan diets had the best nutrient profiles of all diet groups, including the lowest fat and the highest fibre intakes (Key et al., 2014). Orlich et al. (2014) looked at vegetarian and non-vegetarian diets more closely to assess the main differences. They found that vegans eat the most fruit, vegetables, soya and soya products, grains, pulses, nuts and seeds; and the least sweets, fizzy drinks, fried potatoes, refined cereals and added fats. Overall, vegetarian diets, and especially vegan ones, had much healthier patterns than omnivorous diets reflecting that plant-based diets are not based simply on exclusion of animal products but lead to a higher quality diet. For more information on nutrients, their importance and best vegan sources see our exclusive new resource: A-Z of Nutrients Nutrition In A Nutshell Nutrition in a Nutshell A handy guide showing you how healthy and nutritious a plant-based diet is. Your questions about protein, iron and calcium answered here! Includes a vitamin chart and where to obtain all the nutrients you need on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Written by Juliet Gellatley, Founder & Director, Viva! and Nutritional Therapist. Introduction by Audrey Eyton, author of the F Plan Diet and F2 Diet. This post has been categorised in: All Print Materials, Guides
Vegan Nutrition References. Links online and books of use to learn about nutrition aspects of veganism. 1. PCRM Website and books. This is how not to die! View attachment 23408 The number one cause of death and disease in the United States is diet, but life and death decisions should not be a lottery! Subscribe: subscribe to the exam room on Google play subscribe to the exam room on stitcher Spotify Michael Greger, M.D., of NutritionFacts.org, joins “The Weight Loss Champion” Chuck Carroll to show you how to change your fortunes by changing your diet and lowering your risk of death from preventable, diet-related conditions. Dr. Greger also discusses how you can break your food addiction and what got you hooked on food to begin with! Plus, Dr. Greger takes your questions on nutrition. The episode was taped on location at the International Conference on Nutrition in Medicine in Washington, D.C., and streamed live on Facebook. In This Episode Lowering your risk of dying from the leading causes of death Why you’re addicted to food and how to break it Are whole plant foods healthier than processed vegan foods? The foods we should be eating every day The effect of natural peanut butter on triglycerides The best way to transition to a plant-based diet How to burn fat on a diet based on carbs The healthiest plant-based milk Which is the healthier form of vitamin B12: cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin? Meat alternatives PCRM is a huge collection of nutritional experts very influencial in the USA. People's Committee for Responsible Medicine. 2. VIVA UKVegan organisation. A varied diet based on the foods in the table below ensures adequate intake of all essential nutrients and many more beneficial ones such as antioxidants. A healthy vegan diet is one consisting mainly of fruit and vegetables, pulses, wholegrains and nuts and seeds. It provides the body with all it needs and the only vitamin required to be supplemented is vitamin B12. It can be taken either in the form of food supplements or enriched foods, such as plant milks or margarines. B12 supplementation is not only recommended to vegans but to everyone over the age of 50, regardless of the diet, as the body’s ability to absorb this vitamin declines with age. Over the winter months, vitamin D supplementation is also recommended to everyone in the UK. Not all vitamin D is vegan though – vitamin D2 is and some vitamin D3 can be too but make sure you know the source (most vitamin D3 is animal derived). To ensure sufficient intake of essential omega-3 fats, natural sources should be made part of a daily diet – milled flaxseed (linseed) or hempseed and their oils for cold food preparation, rapeseed oil for cooking and some nuts and seeds as a healthy addition to meals – eg walnuts and chia seeds. Nutrition status of vegetarians and vegans There are many recent studies analysing the diet composition and nutrient intakes of vegetarians and vegans from across the world: In the most recent one, vegan, vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian and omnivore diets were studied and compared in Belgium (Clarys et al., 2014). Vegans had the healthiest weight among all groups and received the highest score on the healthy eating scale (measured by two different ranking systems). The higher the score, the healthier the diet and the lower the risk of a number of chronic and lifestyle related diseases. The fat intake of the vegan group was better (more unsaturated healthy fats and less saturated fats) than in the other groups and they were also found to consume the most fibre and iron. Calcium intake was lower than in the other dietary patterns but still above the UK recommended dose (700 mg). Vegan protein intake was more than sufficient, whilst in meat eaters it reached almost twice the recommended intake levels, which has been shown to have negative health effects. A similar study comparing various dietary patterns (omnivore, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and vegan) in the US and Canada brought similar results (Rizzo et al., 2013). Vegans had the healthiest body weights, the highest intake of fibre and the lowest fat intake. The overall fat intake of vegans was healthier than in the other groups – they ate the least saturated and trans fats. The vegan group was found to have more than sufficient intakes of protein, vitamins and minerals (including calcium and iron above recommended intake). Based on the findings, the study authors suggested that the health protective effects of plant-based diets can be ascribed to the generally healthier profile of vegetarian diets. When Davey et al. (2003) analysed food intakes of British vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters, their findings were in line with the above. Vegans had the lowest intake of saturated fats and the highest intakes of fibre, vitamin B1, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and iron. The only mineral that was slightly below the recommended intake in some vegans was calcium but overall, vegans showed to have adequate intakes of all essential nutrients and had the healthiest fat intake profile (the least saturated and the most unsaturated fats). The healthfulness of vegan diets was also confirmed by a later study of UK population in which vegan diets had the best nutrient profiles of all diet groups, including the lowest fat and the highest fibre intakes (Key et al., 2014). Orlich et al. (2014) looked at vegetarian and non-vegetarian diets more closely to assess the main differences. They found that vegans eat the most fruit, vegetables, soya and soya products, grains, pulses, nuts and seeds; and the least sweets, fizzy drinks, fried potatoes, refined cereals and added fats. Overall, vegetarian diets, and especially vegan ones, had much healthier patterns than omnivorous diets reflecting that plant-based diets are not based simply on exclusion of animal products but lead to a higher quality diet. For more information on nutrients, their importance and best vegan sources see our exclusive new resource: A-Z of Nutrients Nutrition In A Nutshell Nutrition in a Nutshell A handy guide showing you how healthy and nutritious a plant-based diet is. Your questions about protein, iron and calcium answered here! Includes a vitamin chart and where to obtain all the nutrients you need on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Written by Juliet Gellatley, Founder & Director, Viva! and Nutritional Therapist. Introduction by Audrey Eyton, author of the F Plan Diet and F2 Diet. This post has been categorised in: All Print Materials, Guides

Im pretty upset at this forum. I just joined and unless im missing something I see nothing on what are the most necessary foods that will help you thrive as a vegan. I mostly see and hear sad animal lovers complaining about how non vegans treat animals. Y’all still rely on replacement meals instead of digging into true nutrients, & vitamins contained in vegetables, fruits, & non dairy products. There is good science on how vegetables, legumes, fruits, and non dairy natural products help the human body. In particular against diseases. I was really hoping for support but all of you are just sad about an animal dying and say this is what began your journey. Why don’t we shift our focus??? Geez im depressed just reading these threads. Can someone please point me to good scientific evidence and what types of foods to consume daily and why? I dont care for recipes I’ll make my own. Please someone help. I’ve learned more from a book called “Eat To Live” than I will ever learn here.
Maybe you're not in the right forum for you. This forum is what it is, please don't criticize folk, if it's not for you try somewhere else maybe. The internet is full of information just look for it

I'm not really understanding the issue. I, literally, just got here; and I bookmarked a lot of threads because there is so much here that I want to read. Much of it from the health perspective.

I can understand that your major interest is health. I, originally, became a vegan for the health of my young children, about 45 years ago. By the time I added up all the food allergies,; we ended up vegan.

But I did expand my horizons, and started investigating the meat industry's impact on animal welfare. After a donation to Peta, I read the monthly magazine, and there was no way that I could go back to eating animal products.

We can have multiple interests as vegans. Health, animal welfare, environmental impact, and the spread of disease, are all important discussions for vegans.

I'm not really understanding the issue. I, literally, just got here; and I bookmarked a lot of threads because there is so much here that I want to read. Much of it from the health perspective.

I can understand that your major interest is health. I, originally, became a vegan for the health of my young children, about 45 years ago. By the time I added up all the food allergies,; we ended up vegan.

But I did expand my horizons, and started investigating the meat industry's impact on animal welfare. After a donation to Peta, I read the monthly magazine, and there was no way that I could go back to eating animal products.

We can have multiple interests as vegans. Health, animal welfare, environmental impact, and the spread of disease, are all important discussions for vegans.
:welcome:
I think with all the whole plant food health documentaries that are out now many people are trying the wfpb diet and calling it a vegan diet.
I do think we should have threads that are more health focused, like a "what I ate wfpb today", we have one for everything else we eat :rofl:

Reactions: 1956 and PTree15
As a Medical Biochemist who works in the Health/Diet field, I can tell you that we have two primary groups of patients that we see these days .... Obesity/Diabetes and Vegans. Sorry to say that a huge number of Vegans that come through us have no idea of good nutrition, eat primarily processed foods, are often overweight ... And a good third became involved with the diet because they believed they would lose weight, were interested/dating someone who was vegan, or believed false health claims that it would cure/improve everything from autoimmune to cancer. Back twenty years ago, it was rare to see a Vegan ... But then the food industry hadn't realised that there was money to be made from pushing the lifestyle (back then it was still low fat that made them big profits). So if you live on processed foods the reality is that you have a poor diet whether Vegan or not. A close friend is primarily Vegan ... Why do I say "primarily"? Because her health has meant that she has to occasionally move to Vegetarian choices. But, I strongly agree that most Vegans are very conscious of animal rights etc beyond simply diet.

... And a good third became involved with the diet because they believed they would lose weight, were interested/dating someone who was vegan, or believed false health claims that it would cure/improve everything from autoimmune to cancer.
As someone who is not a junk food vegan, I eat tons of fiber on a daily basis, have lost over 65lbs in the last 13 months, put my supposedly incurable Hashimoto's disease into complete remission, and have great blood work/ b12, iron, zinc, calcium, omega...... levels. My experience has been that if you eat a variety of plant foods at the quantity level of a grazing wild primate.. you can get a good amount of protein, give your body a fighting chance to heal from auto-immune diseases, and be an example of what the healthier side of this lifestyle can do. Those of us who are committed to health are more educated than whatever % pie slice that your patients represent.

To say that these health claims are completely false because of a limited exposure to sick vegans is just a projection of personal bias. You are making multiple blanket statements to say that these patients are somehow representative of the whole. There are roughly over 100k scientific food related studies released ever year and a solid meta-analysis on things like increased life span, reduced all-cause mortalities, improved cardio function... even meat eaters like Dr. Mark Hyman who have been food advisors for multiple US presidents and run national food campaigns show good support for the science coming out on a WFPB diet.

As someone who is not a junk food vegan, I eat tons of fiber on a daily basis, have lost over 65lbs in the last 13 months, put my supposedly incurable Hashimoto's disease into complete remission, and have great blood work/ b12, iron, zinc, calcium, omega...... levels. My experience has been that if you eat a variety of plant foods at the quantity level of a grazing wild primate.. you can get a good amount of protein, give your body a fighting chance to heal from auto-immune diseases, and be an example of what the healthier side of this lifestyle can do. Those of us who are committed to health are more educated than whatever % pie slice that your patients represent.

To say that these health claims are completely false because of a limited exposure to sick vegans is just a projection of personal bias. You are making multiple blanket statements to say that these patients are somehow representative of the whole. There are roughly over 100k scientific food related studies released ever year and a solid meta-analysis on things like increased life span, reduced all-cause mortalities, improved cardio function... even meat eaters like Dr. Mark Hyman who have been food advisors for multiple US presidents and run national food campaigns show good support for the science coming out on a WFPB diet.
And your comments are a projection of your personal bias :) The fact that someone is Vegan has nothing to do with an equation to a healthy diet. The fact that you personally have chosen a very sensible whole food diet will of course reflect in your overall health. However, the fact remains that one of the primary groups that we see with diet related heath issues are Vegan ... And that is usually down to poor education. I think it is incredibly important to offer reliable assistance to anyone beginning a wfpb lifestyle. There has been some very promising research with regard to a diet and lifestyle protocol for Hashimoto sufferers. Indications that weight loss helps the hormonal balance, and that the removal of certain foods causes lower inflammation levels, has had quite a profound difference in treatment strategies. I am very happy to see that this has worked so well for you.

Reactions: Kittykat
As a Medical Biochemist who works in the Health/Diet field, I can tell you that we have two primary groups of patients that we see these days .... Obesity/Diabetes and Vegans. Sorry to say that a huge number of Vegans that come through us have no idea of good nutrition, eat primarily processed foods, are often overweight ... And a good third became involved with the diet because they believed they would lose weight, were interested/dating someone who was vegan, or believed false health claims that it would cure/improve everything from autoimmune to cancer. Back twenty years ago, it was rare to see a Vegan ... But then the food industry hadn't realised that there was money to be made from pushing the lifestyle (back then it was still low fat that made them big profits). So if you live on processed foods the reality is that you have a poor diet whether Vegan or not. A close friend is primarily Vegan ... Why do I say "primarily"? Because her health has meant that she has to occasionally move to Vegetarian choices. But, I strongly agree that most Vegans are very conscious of animal rights etc beyond simply diet.
Honestly, those reasons don't even focus on what veganism is about!
Personally, I know way more people who eat plant based for health than animal concerns. Many have reversed their heart disease and type 2 diabetes, obesity....
Even if eating a junk food vegan diet it's usually better than any omni junk foods.
And no, you don't need to 'occasionally move to Vegetarian choices' for health, unless you mean medications 🙄

And your comments are a projection of your personal bias :) The fact that someone is Vegan has nothing to do with an equation to a healthy diet. The fact that you personally have chosen a very sensible whole food diet will of course reflect in your overall health. However, the fact remains that one of the primary groups that we see with diet related heath issues are Vegan ... And that is usually down to poor education. I think it is incredibly important to offer reliable assistance to anyone beginning a wfpb lifestyle. There has been some very promising research with regard to a diet and lifestyle protocol for Hashimoto sufferers. Indications that weight loss helps the hormonal balance, and that the removal of certain foods causes lower inflammation levels, has had quite a profound difference in treatment strategies. I am very happy to see that this has worked so well for you.
Those are a limited sample of patients that don't represent any sort of statistical representation of veganism at large. I am presenting only facts in my own personal experience that show objective results in my own life and the research of looking at food research. You can call anything bias if you'd like. Talking about a patient moving to vegetarian choices as a means to health seems incorrect. The definition of veganism is to reduce the suffering of animals but the scientific research around veganism itself points to a majority eating less unprocessed foods and therefore having an overall greater health. In the science world veganism does relate to diet as well.

Reactions: Emma JC
It still amazes me that the variety of diseases omnivores suffer from, that can be directly caused by diet, go unnoticed. Let someone say they got ill after going vegan and it's deemed the sole cause
An example is how many people I've watched go on an ambulance ride suffering from potassium deficiency, caused by diet, or from heart attacks, or diabetes, yet no one said anything about that steak for dinner or eggs for breakfast. A vegan complains of a cold or a stomach ache and people will jump all over the lack of animals in their diet.
I am of complete belief that those who 'need animal products for their own health' are looking for a easy excuse.

I would say your experience mirrors overall trends and changes in the U.S. diet (not sure you are from the U.S., so if not I apologize) over the past 40 years. People in general, vegan or otherwise, eat way more processed food than they did eons ago. I grew up in the late '60s/early '70s, and it was rare that we ate processed food. My mom tried Hamburger Helper once, and we all hated it!

My mom worked outside the home, but we had homemade everything. Baked goods, too. And things like baked goods were occasional, maybe once a week. Sometime in the '80s, food and meals became all about convenience as two-parent working families grew more prevalent. And snacking became a daily thing. We never snacked after dinner as kids. We had a baked treat for dessert, like I said, about once a week. I then watched a generation of my nieces and nephews regularly eat processed crap like chicken nuggets, those awful Lunchables, Pop-Tarts, crunchy snacks, you name it. There wasn't a whole lot of cooking going on, and there was a big increase in fast-food consumption. We were lucky if we went to a Burger King or McDonalds once a month. Again, it was considered a treat. Food used to be considered fuel for the body. I can't tell you how many times I heard, Eat your vegetables, they will make you stronger and smarter. Drink you milk for calcium and strong bones, etc.

Also, actual vegans (those who truly don't eat any animal products or foods made with animal products) make up a pretty small percentage of the population. You have a lot of people who call themselves vegan but don't necessarily exclude all animal products. There are people who eat fish who call themselves plant-based or vegan.

Reactions: KLS52