Diet and dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs

A few quotes from the UC Davies article:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently issued an alert about reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods containing peas, lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes as main ingredients.
This diagnosis of DCM was coupled with another finding that many of the dogs were eating the same grain-free diet and had blood tests confirming low taurine levels.
Upon investigation of all of the diets associated with both the taurine deficient and non-taurine deficient forms of DCM, a few key associations were apparent. Many dogs were being fed some variety of boutique (small manufacturer), exotic ingredient (non-traditional protein sources), or grain-free diets.
Grain-free, especially if these are vegan dog foods, would mean restricting the amounts of certain amino acids. It sounds to me like perhaps the problem may be related to getting the right balance of amino acids. If you don't get this balance right, then the body isn't able to synthesize sufficient amounts of proteins such as taurine.

I guess perhaps you're more likely to see malnourishment in dogs than in humans because dogs are fed much the same foods over and over whereas humans typically eat a more varied diet, and so therefore the one food the dogs eat needs to provide everything they need and in the right amounts?

The vet doing this study has said that adding either high-taurine foods or taurine supplements without changing to a legume and potato-free diet doesn't help. And he also says taurine in supplement form shouldn't be used without the advice of a veterinary cardiologist, so please don't anyone read the links above and run out and buy a supplement. It's still early in his study but he is thinking it may be a problem with something in these foods blocking absorption. None of the foods made by companies who have veterinarians and nutritionists on staff in their research departments have so far been linked to DCM, even in the prescription diets that do contain potatoes, pea fiber, etc. So obviously knowledge plays a role. A staff full of a bunch of people with degrees will be more successful than some start-up dog food company wanting to make a quick buck.

This is not just pertaining to vegan dog foods either. In fact, he didn't mention vegan dog foods, probably because they aren't commonly used. The legumes seem to be an issue even when combined with meat ingredients.

I hope they get to the bottom of the issue a.s.a.p. I don't have a dog, but if I did, I probably would want to feed it vegan food, which I'm guessing is likely to be 'boutique' with exotic ingredients, and therefore risky w.r.t. DCM. But of course I also wouldn't want to put a dog's health at risk, so it's probably for the best I don't have a dog until this thing has been figured out!

Reactions: Wolfie