Diabetic interested in switching to WFPB from keto diet

I read this book by Dr. Neal Banard when the first edition came out.

PCRM.org, his organization also offers consultations with vegan MDs if you want help along the way.

Brenda Davis, who cowrote one of the earlier versions of the USDA Position Paper On Vegetarianism, also wrote this book using a special vegan diet to reverse type2 diabetes.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will definitely look into them!

I'm worried that my blood sugars are gonna go crazy high and I will gain back weight I've lost and this diet won't work. My husband who will never give up meat has already shown he's not very supportive of the switch and if it doesn't work he'll be even more convinced to never go vegan/WFPB.

So, all of that to ask...has anyone been in my shoes before? What were your results? Did eating clean vegan/WFPB help your blood sugars and stabilize or reverse your diabetes? I'm feeling so drawn to go back to vegan but scared it isn't going to work and I'm going to mess my health up even more.

Being worried about failing combined with someone who is not supportive/going to actively prove their point seems like a bad combo. I can't speak to insulin resistance but it sounds like you've made progress over making some incremental changes. In our culture we are conditioned to expect an immediate result right now and overlook the benefit of allowing ourselves to going through a positive struggle. It could help to take some of the pressure off of yourself to get the end result so quickly. In my experience, regaining health is a function of making small changes that will have an impact on how you feel and then create positive signaling to keep you moving in that direction.

You can do this! 🌱

Last edited:
Reactions: SweetChaos78
Being worried about failing combined with someone who is not supportive/going to actively prove their point seems like a bad combo. I can't speak to insulin resistance but it sounds like you've made progress over making some incremental changes. In our culture we are conditioned to expect an immediate result right now and overlook the benefit of allowing ourselves to going through a positive struggle. It could help to take some of the pressure off of yourself to get the end result so quickly. In my experience, regaining health is a function of making small changes that will have an impact on how you feel and then create positive signaling to keep you moving in that direction.

You can do this! 🌱

Thank you for the reply! I am currently on day 5 of my wfpb journey and my blood sugars, while still high, are coming down! I am really happy with the results so far. Hopefully they continue to fall into a normal range. I definitely did not expect an overnight miracle, lol! I was just hoping that after 2 weeks I would see improvement, but it happened much faster than that, so I'm thrilled. Now comes the process of allowing my body to get rid of toxins and heal. It may take months, but at least I'm moving on the right direction now!

Reactions: Emma JC
I am eating whole food that is plant-based, that I've found is the healthiest way to eat, helping for many issues and against health problems, diabetes included. See www.forksoverknives.com.

Keto is really an unproven diet. Keto can lead to cancer. People on it may feel good in the short run but in the long run it may kill them. You have to cleanse yourself first when there may be stomach issues. Use lightly steamed veggies at first. Some people need a juice cleanse or a master cleanse.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Sproutskies and Lou
I really make a point to keep the list of processed items very short. Processed food items are where possible surprise ingredients from used animals is so likely, the ones used have to be checked carefully. Going vegan is with hard lessons in that. So I use salsa, and hummus, that can go with my whole grain products, and plant-based milks, and Complete protein cookies, and otherwise just whole food items mainly from produce, and seasonings. And I use organic pumpkin seeds that are really plant-based, I use a few nuts other than peanuts that I don't eat now.

Reactions: Emma JC