Crochet

I've been using duck tape on the soles of my slippers for a very long time...

I just finished the second pair of slippers. They are a bit snug on my boyfriend's feet, so I am really hoping they stretch out a bit naturally over time. I am still in need of suggestions for a solution to reinforce the soles. Does anyone on here know how to add non-slip treads to crocheted slippers?

20200418_120006.jpg

I just finished the second pair of slippers. They are a bit snug on my boyfriend's feet, so I am really hoping they stretch out a bit naturally over time. I am still in need of suggestions for a solution to reinforce the soles. Does anyone on here know how to add non-slip treads to crocheted slippers?

View attachment 20624
I am thinking there must be non-skid fabric. You could either sew on an entire sole or maybe a few strips.

What about the iron on adhesive, that;s sticky both sides?
Don't think the bathtub silicone caulk would work?

What about the iron on adhesive, that;s sticky both sides?
Don't think the bathtub silicone caulk would work?
I'm not sure about the iron on acrylic yarn. I think it could ruin the yarn. I've read that when trying to block acrylic yarn, it's not recommended to put the iron directly on the yarn because it could melt the yarn; you just kind of hover the iron over the project and steam it.

I've not considered the caulking. This might be a stupid question, but how would you apply it?

I'm not sure about the iron on acrylic yarn. I think it could ruin the yarn. I've read that when trying to block acrylic yarn, it's not recommended to put the iron directly on the yarn because it could melt the yarn; you just kind of hover the iron over the project and steam it.

I've not considered the caulking. This might be a stupid question, but how would you apply it?
I once saw a tip to use on socks to make non stick bottoms. It just comes in a tube, I would think to make a little crocheted sample square and do dots. I wonder if putting a sheet of waxed paper pressed down would work?

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
This week I am making some summer clothing for myself, using DK weight yarn in my stash. Over the weekend I made one crochet top that I still need to assemble the front and back pieces of, so I will share that later this week. Over the past couple of days though, I completed this crop top, to which I added straps, since I lack the curves to wear it strapless. My next project will be a skirt to go with it.
20200423_063502.jpg

View attachment 20624
Wow! So creative!😻✨

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
This week I am making some summer clothing for myself, using DK weight yarn in my stash. Over the weekend I made one crochet top that I still need to assemble the front and back pieces of, so I will share that later this week. Over the past couple of days though, I completed this crop top, to which I added straps, since I lack the curves to wear it strapless. My next project will be a skirt to go with it.
View attachment 20728
That is just adorable. I love the border!

• Agree
Reactions: GingerFoxx and Val
I didn’t watch the second one. Looks like the rubbery stuff you use inside cabinets as a liner.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
Here is the other summer top I have been working on. I made the front and back panels over the weekend. Yesterday, I finally stitched them together and made a few modification to fit my long torso. My favorite part of this project is the surprising way the variegated yarn colors pooled into such a cool pattern:
20200423_183034.jpg

20200423_183223.jpg

I just finished this lightweight asymmetrical poncho. The pattern is mostly linen stitch, and I made it with sport weight yarn, so it should be ideal for warmer days where I still want that extra layer. The shoulder seam along the left side only extends part way down, leaving the rest of that side open for ease of arm movement:

20200430_070016.jpg

Attachments

• 20200430_070131.jpg
    20200430_070131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here's a shawl I made over the part few days. I intentionally chose a nice lightweight yarn and the lacy pattern, keeping in mind the warmer weather. I love how variegated/color-changing yarns really bring out an extra lovely effect in this pattern. Here it is for anyone wanting to try it out. I chose to omit the edging on mine, and use a smaller hook size to compliment the lighter yarn: Rivers Shawl Free Crochet Pattern | Rich Textures Crochet

20200507_063515.jpg

20200507_063156.jpg