Crochet

I am still working on using up my scrap yarn stash right now, so I have decided to make some fun and colorful purses/totes/handbags that don't require large volumes of any single color. I made this cute little strawberry drawstring bag on Sunday.

20200331_063808.jpg

Last week I made this simple cotton mesh bag for my boyfriend and I to use when washing delicate items in the laundry.

20200331_063944.jpg

Yesterday I started on a simple tote-style handbag, which I should be able to finish in the next day or two.

Last edited:
I just finished this vintage ripple stitch shawl last night. I started it early last week in an effort to further work through my leftover yarn supply. I really like the end result. When I look at it, it's very reminiscent of autumn and Thanksgiving.

20200406_073935.jpg

20200406_073959.jpg

I haven't narrowed down the exact pattern yet, but this week's project plan is to use up some of the assorted black, white and grey yarns in my stash, perhaps in some sort of garment I can use in my work wardrobe, whenever I am able to stop working remotely and be back on site full time again...

Reactions: silva and PTree15
You are like a machine, GingerFoxx! So impressed. I've been slacking of late, but I need to pick up and get moving on my friend's afghan.

I love the colors in the purse. That's the style I like- just a simple bag- a pocket on the outside for a phone though.
What stitch is that? single or half double?

You are like a machine, GingerFoxx! So impressed. I've been slacking of late, but I need to pick up and get moving on my friend's afghan.
I think the discipline of challenging myself to complete at least one project per week is really beneficial for me. Especially these days where work is very stressful, options for fun activities are limited and my mental health is very volatile amid all of this global pandemic craziness. I need that structure of something repetitive and artistic. I told my boyfriend the other day, while we were listing to a musician's live concert stream that now more than ever we need art and music and other such beautiful things in our lives.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I love the colors in the purse. That's the style I like- just a simple bag- a pocket on the outside for a phone though.
What stitch is that? single or half double?
Thanks, it's starting to grow on me. I have considered trying to add a pocket or a lining to it somehow, but haven't quite decided how I want to tackle that. My sewing skills are almost non existent.

The base is single crochet. The main part of the bag is half double. The handle is single crochets and then I did a round of single crochets around each side of the handle to tidy up the rough edges of the handle and opening of the bag. Here is the video I followed. It's very simple:
I used two strands of worsted weight yarn so the fabric it creates is very dense and I don't have to worry about items inside poking through.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
This makes me both admire and hate you at the same time, lol. I don’t know what is wrong with me the last few years. I’ve lost all motivation. I wasn’t always like this. I was blaming it on work so I guess when this Covid19 nightmare is over, I will get to see if I am any different now that I have retired. I hope I get the old me back. I miss her. :)

Last edited:
This makes me both admire and hate you at the same time, lol. I don’t know what is wrong with me the last few years. I’ve lost all motivation. I wasn’t always like this. I was blaming it on work so I guess when this Covid19 nightmare is over, I will get to see if I am any different now that I have retired. I hope I get the old me back. I miss her. :)
Trust me, I have a had time being this dedicated to activities, crochet included. Especially if I am going through I spell of less than ideal mental health. So I am impressed with myself for keeping it up even as long as I have. Some weeks I really need to push myself. I think posting my creations here and on Facebook helps incentivize me to keep going.

• Friendly
Today my (now former) coworker who I inspired to get into crochet was chatting with me on Facebook and we decided to start a virtual crochet club/group so we can discuss and share our projects during the pandemic, now that we no longer get to interact in the office. We started a group on Facebook to invite what few other folks we know who crochet. We plan to share photos and patterns and if there is enough interest, maybe do a Skype meetup on occasion. We'll see how it goes. Even if it's just the two of us, it will still provide some much needed socialization.

Reactions: PTree15
I unraveled most of an old project that never fully came to fruition back when I was a beginner learning techniques last year. This week I used the yarn to make this simple poncho for my boyfriend. It's just two long rectangular panels which consist of a three row repeat: two rows of double crochet, followed by one row of double crochet stitches separated by a chain one space. You seam them together up the middle with a space at the center point for the neckline. Then you tidy up the edges with some single crochet stitches:

20200412_115925.jpg

20200412_120225.jpg

• Love
My next scrap yarn project is going to be two pairs of slippers, one for me and one for my boyfriend. There are no carpets in my condo so the abundance of pet hair and bits of hay and litter crumbs from the cats and bunnies tends to get tracked around a bit by our bare feet. Some nice machine washable slippers should help.

On the topic of slippers... How adorable are these? I wish the pattern included adult sizes:
I wish I was confident in how to scale it up. I really want a pair for myself.

I did, however, find some other fun options, including bunny slippers, fox slippers and these:

Choices, choices....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PTree15
My next scrap yarn project is going to be two pairs of slippers, one for me and one for my boyfriend. There are no carpets in my condo so the abundance of pet hair and bits of hay and litter crumbs from the cats and bunnies tends to get tracked around a bit by our bare feet. Some nice machine washable slippers should help.

On the topic of slippers... How adorable are these? I wish the pattern included adult sizes:
I wish I was confident in how to scale it up. I really want a pair for myself.

I did, however, find some other fun options, including bunny slippers, fox slippers and these:

Choices, choices....
Those sneaker ones are awesome!!

I just finished the first pair of slippers this morning. The second pair should go much faster since I am familiar with the pattern and assembly now, Also, I have a 3-day weekend so I can crochet more than just an hour or two a day. This was a really fun project:

20200417_091339.jpg

Reactions: silva
I just finished the first pair of slippers this morning. The second pair should go much faster since I am familiar with the pattern and assembly now, Also, I have a 3-day weekend so I can crochet more than just an hour or two a day. This was a really fun project:

View attachment 20597
Those are freakin awesome! I want to make them for my sister. She still wears Converse sneakers! She will love these. Christmas present for sure. Did you end up finding any non-skid material you could add to the bottom?

Those are freakin awesome! I want to make them for my sister. She still wears Converse sneakers! She will love these. Christmas present for sure. Did you end up finding any non-skid material you could add to the bottom?
Not yet, I still need a solution for making the soles more durable and skid proof before we wear them, but I don't really know what to search for.

Not yet, I still need a solution for making the soles more durable and skid proof before we wear them, but I don't really know what to search for.
What happens if you use silicone caulk that comes in tubes for waterproofing tubs and sinks? It seems like what's used on slipper socks-thin strips or dots.
Or the non slip rubber used under throw rugs?