Crochet

Here's a shawl I made over the part few days. I intentionally chose a nice lightweight yarn and the lacy pattern, keeping in mind the warmer weather. I love how variegated/color-changing yarns really bring out an extra lovely effect in this pattern. Here it is for anyone wanting to try it out. I chose to omit the edging on mine, and use a smaller hook size to compliment the lighter yarn: Rivers Shawl Free Crochet Pattern | Rich Textures Crochet

View attachment 20947

View attachment 20948
That is beautiful. The colors are so pretty! Well done!

Oh, wow, GingerFoxx, that is so pretty! Gorgeous colors, and well done! It looks good and sturdy as well.

Reactions: GingerFoxx
@GingerFoxx Love that!
I have two thick soft yarn skeins I bought for no reason other than they were cheap, and I couldn't decide on color :shrug:
You've got me wanting to try a bag but not with that yarn!

Reactions: GingerFoxx
I went with a super simple Apache Tears pattern for my first attempt at mosaic crochet. I used some scrap yarn to make this placemat. I figured that would be a good practical project to try out the technique. All the yarn tails are hidden inside the border, which is a trick I learned from the tutorial I followed. It did turn into a game of "yarn chicken" at the end though. I have BARELY any of that red left now. I love how this style of crochet looks nice and neat on the reverse side too.

20200514_175456.jpg

Attachments

• 20200514_175635.jpg
    20200514_175635.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
I went with a super simple Apache Tears pattern for my first attempt at mosaic crochet. I used some scrap yarn to make this placemat. I figured that would be a good practical project to try out the technique. All the yarn tails are hidden inside the border, which is a trick I learned from the tutorial I followed. It did turn into a game of "yarn chicken" at the end though. I have BARELY any of that red left now. I love how this style of crochet looks nice and neat on the reverse side too.

View attachment 21067
That is soooo cool! Is it extra thick or not?

That is soooo cool! Is it extra thick or not?
The rows of the pattern do overlap a bit to get the effect while still using only one color per row. So in places it's the same amount of thickness as a double strand of the yarn you're using. The border is actually two layers of stitches, front and back, that enclose the yarn tails at the end of the row, so that's a bit bulkier. For a nice blanket, or even a small practical item like this place mat though, that extra thick border weighs down the edges nicely.

Reactions: PTree15
As I continue my efforts to learn the mosaic crochet technique, while also using up my yarn remnants, I just finished another place mat. They are such a perfect size to get the sense of the pattern and still end up with something practical. I am starting to understand how the pattern charts are designed too, which will eventually leave me capable of making my own designs. That's an exciting prospect!

20200516_145231.jpg

• Love
As I continue my efforts to learn the mosaic crochet technique, while also using up my yarn remnants, I just finished another place mat. They are such a perfect size to get the sense of the pattern and still end up with something practical. I am starting to understand how the pattern charts are designed too, which will eventually leave me capable of making my own designs. That's an exciting prospect!

View attachment 21089
I really want to see a pixelated Mario Bros! Like the old 8 bit games!
1589658236543.png

The Eagles-themed blanket for my friend is finally done! I put a single crochet border around it and it really cleaned up the edge. Very happy. I think I need to make a Patriots one for me.😁

20200518_030833.jpg20200518_030957.jpg

Reactions: KLS52
I sort of overestimated on how much yarn I would need for the above project, so now I am making my friend a beach bag, as the over-55 place she is moving to has a pool. I should have used double strands to make it a bit sturdier, but I'm thinking I can fashion some sort of liner, at least for the bottom. I'm thinking of making a drawstring strap, though I haven't decided. I want it to be super strong so that it can handle some weight in the bag and also make it easy to sling over her shoulder.

I sort of overestimated on how much yarn I would need for the above project, so now I am making my friend a beach bag, as the over-55 place she is moving to has a pool. I should have used double strands to make it a bit sturdier, but I'm thinking I can fashion some sort of liner, at least for the bottom. I'm thinking of making a drawstring strap, though I haven't decided. I want it to be super strong so that it can handle some weight in the bag and also make it easy to sling over her shoulder.
Can’t wait to see it!

That blanket look so very well made!
I've had many afghans of that kind of stich and they were very.....rustic.
Don't you wish you could crochet masks :rofl:

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Thanks, guys! I'm halfway done with the bag @KLS52, and even though I have a busy work week, I'm hoping to finish it by the weekend and get it off in the mail. I just have to figure out the liner.

@silva I think the single-crochet border really made a difference, as the edges can seem a bit rough without a border. The pattern doesn't call for one, so maybe they are supposed to be rustic. :D

I think there are some patterns out there for crocheted masks, but I'm thinking they would make me sweat. :D