Companion Animal Memorial Thread

And then there was one. :( My small, white catfish died yesterday, leaving the bigger gray one on his own.

But I'm not getting more fish, unless they are somehow adopted. Unfortunately I'm worried my mother will pity-buy another, which is counterproductive at best.

Thanks. I'm more worried about the remaining fish. The last two have died in the same weird way, and I don't want it to happen to him too.

Granted, they're all very old, so that could be it.

View attachment 312
This (the dilute calico cat) is Ayla. She died in the early morning hours.

Ayla was a feral cat who my sister trapped seven years ago. She had six kittens at the time. My sister managed to trap five of the kittens. One kitten consistently eluded her and eventually disappeared. Ayla came to live with me, and her kittens stayed with my sister.

Ayla always remained semi feral. Of late, she would sit on the arm of my chair while I opened cat food cans, as long as I was careful not to look at her and pretended she wasn't there.

She had surgery for mammary cancer last August. A tendril of the tumor had reached the lymph nodes, which the vet also removed. She made a good recovery from the surgery, and I had hopes that her recovery was a full one. Late yesterday, she was lying on the kitchen floor and did not move away from me when I walked close by her a couple of times. When I reached down to touch her and she didn't run, I knew it was serious and went to get the carrier. When I lifted her to put her in the carrier, I could feel the fluid in her abdomen. I took her to the U of I emergency clinic. She started going into cardiac arrest, and I told them to help her die quickly. I hope she found some comfort in my presence.

Ayla loved Zen, the orange tabby in the photo. For years, she was quite lovesick over him, following him around. Hers was a quiet presence in this house, but there will always be an Ayla shaped emptiness in this family.

I'm so sorry I somehow missed this,mlp. Ayla was so beautiful. Thank you for helping her to have a quick and peaceful passing. It does leave a void when we lose them-I understand.

One of my bunnies passed away yesterday evening.

524016_10151072577784771_89200874_n.jpg

40a4698a.jpg

Nick had been sick off and on for a few months. I have a very good vet here, but even he couldn't figure out what was making Nick ill. I guess it was finally too much for him, and he died yesterday evening. He was in his pen with his companion; he looked like he had been sleeping. We left him in the pen with Amelia for awhile. At one point, she groomed his face, then sniffed his entire body, then sat down next to him. After a short time, she left the body and went to eat some hay. I believe she was saying her goodbyes.
He was only 7 years old, late-middle-age for a rabbit. He had always been fairly delicate, suffering from GI issues off and on over the 6 years he lived with us.

Nick and Amelia were the first bunnies I adopted, and I've always had a special place in my heart for those two. He loved snuggling with Amelia, even when she'd been pushing him around. He never jumped onto the furniture, though he was well capable of jumping that high and always watched Amelia with curiosity when she was on the sofa. His passion was running. Nick loved tearing around the house, weaving around the furniture, leaping over the gaps between the area rugs. He would often run a course slowly once, then run it several times very quickly. Then he would come out and flop over, worn out and pleased with himself.
Amelia will be lonely now. She is also 7 years old, just one month younger than Nick. I will have to figure out if/when she needs a new companion. They loved each other so much, it is difficult for me to think of her with anyone else. I don't want her to be lonely for the rest of her days if she doesn't want to be, though.

535617f6.jpg

This morning we took his body to one of the local no-kill shelters, and arranged for his cremation. We selected a wood box with a photo frame, large enough that we can also put Amelia's ashes in with his when it is her time.

I am shattered.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L.
RabbitLuvr...what can I even say except I'm so, so sorry. :hug: Nick was adorable. I'm so sorry for your loss. :sob:

RabbitLuvr, I am so, so sorry. :hug: I think it's especially hard to lose one of a bonded pair, whether they be mates or friends - in addition to the grief one feels, there's the worry about the grief of the survivor.

:hug:to you and to Amelia. Take comfort in the fact that Nick passed at home, with his Amelia at his side. Who among us could hope for a better death?:hug:

• Agree
Thanks. I'm more worried about the remaining fish. The last two have died in the same weird way, and I don't want it to happen to him too.

Granted, they're all very old, so that could be it.

How old is your catfish? I missed your post about the white one. :hug:for you.

I think it's especially hard to lose one of a bonded pair, whether they be mates or friends - in addition to the grief one feels, there's the worry about the grief of the survivor.

In a way, I am glad that Nick passed before Amelia. While she has a fierce independent streak, he was completely dependent on her. He would not be taking things as well. I can tell she misses him, though. I have a plush rabbit that I am going to give her tomorrow (going to wash it first); I know a few people in my rescue group have had rabbits who were comforted by a plush rabbit after their bond mate passed. It is only slightly smaller than Nick and even has lop ears.

How old is your catfish? I missed your post about the white one. :hug:for you.

Thanks. The one left isn't a catfish, just a normal goldfish. Not sure what kind, I've never been one to pay attention to that kind of stuff unless it's a life or death matter for them.

In a way, I am glad that Nick passed before Amelia. While she has a fierce independent streak, he was completely dependent on her. He would not be taking things as well. I can tell she misses him, though. I have a plush rabbit that I am going to give her tomorrow (going to wash it first); I know a few people in my rescue group have had rabbits who were comforted by a plush rabbit after their bond mate passed. It is only slightly smaller than Nick and even has lop ears.

That's so sweet of you. :) What a good friend you are.

Oh my goodness, bless your heart. I'm so sorry... Nick sounds like a great bunny, and he was lucky to have you to take such good care of him.:hug:

I noticed yesterday and last night how quiet my house is. It's only now that I realize it was always Nick making all that racket, waking me up at odd hours, keeping the house lively during the day. Running up and down the steps in his pen, chewing the plastic house or assorted toys, throwing his jingle ball, rattling the hay rack, pushing around the pellet dish.
I have five other rabbits here, and combined they do not make as much noise as one four-pound Holland lop named Nick.

Fish is dead. I'm not incredibly emotional about it because I knew it was going to happen, but I still feel like crap because I don't know if it could have been prevented or not, and all three of them are dead. We've researched fish problems in the past, there really isn't much you can do, we put in the different tank medicines and did a 20% water change and in the end it still failed.

No more fish after this.

• Friendly