Climate Change trends- Break records

Wow, what a depressing video! The idea that we might not be able to stop catastrophic climate change does not mean we shouldn't try, incase that video is wrong or even just to delay catastrophe is worth changing our lives and trying to influence others. The arguments made against renewables like solar and wind are very poor. It makes no sense to create an equivalence between solar and wind and fossil fuels, or between electric cars and say petrol, by pointing out that both have their bad side. If we have 2 choices and 1 causes 10 times the damage of the other, then we should chose the less damaging one.

Arguing against renewables is wrong and dangerous. If the people that do so themselves want to avoid heating their houses, travelling by car, and can cut their use of electricity at home by 90%, then good for them. But for almost everyone that is never ever going to happen.

I think there are 3 basic possibilities:

1. Disaster.
2. Very large green taxes in countries representing a large part of the world economy.
3. Cap and trade in countries representing a large part of the world economy.

However, the more I think about it, the more I keep coming with other possibilities (so far I have 7 in total):

4. Technology saves the day – e.g. suck CO2 out of the air.
5. Green technology rapidly improves to the point where being green is usually cheaper than fossil fuels even without subsidies, thus takes over from fossil fuels on price.
6. People become much more altruistic and less selfish.
7. Overthrow of capitalism.

However it's very unlikely that any of these 4, 5, 6 or 7 can be the solution on their own - they can only really be part of the solution at best.

So I think really the choices are still 1, 2 or 3.

Reactions: Val
I went today.

You could perhaps find a way to discretely support protests, such as designing and creating signs, donating money, spreading the word about the protests on facebook, or something else. You could also use your role at a new company to be a positive influence in climate change.

I went to this Friday‘s climate protest as well.

Met with a group of fellow vegans and we participated with signs encouraging people to go vegan for the environment.

Another group had a less positive experience, when they wanted to say something about veganism in the open mic session, the organizers told them that would not fit with the concept. Also, their „Go Vegan“ flyers were a waste of paper and bad for the environment. While I do see progress, there is still a lot to be done ....

I made a bunch of signs and handed them out. One of them said "the future is vegan". I saw a lot of pro-vegan stuff in the crowd, signs, and so on. There was this guy with a bicycle with pro-vegan messages cycling around and around the protest and handing out flyers, making himself very visible. I thought he did a great job.

I went today.

You could perhaps find a way to discretely support protests, such as designing and creating signs, donating money, spreading the word about the protests on facebook, or something else. You could also use your role at a new company to be a positive influence in climate change.
All good suggestions, some of which I do already. I would have liked to have visibly shown support, I guess.

Another article I find that I wish I could disagree with ...

Umair Haque said:
My friends, catastrophic climate change is not a problem for fascists — it is a solution. History’s most perfect, lethal, and efficient one means of genocide, ever, period. Who needs to build a camp or a gas chamber when the flood and hurricane will do the dirty work for free?

Please don’t mistake this for conspiracism: climate change accords perfectly with the foundational fascist belief that only the strong should survive, and the weak — the dirty, the impure, the foul — should perish. That is why neo-fascists do not lift a finger to stop climate change — but do everything they can to in fact accelerate it, and prevent every effort to reverse or mitigate it.

It's a shame I had to google to find if Greta Thunberg was vegan. I never heard that come up. And of course she is....Just that the one most important contribution, and easiest, is one most overlooked.
Poor Corey Booker!

Greta has said she is vegan for ethical as well as environmental reasons. It would be interesting to hear her talk about this more in depth but so far she hasn't that I am aware of.

Probably a fair point. I decided to look up the exact quotes from Greta:

2.00-2.34 The video is nearly a year ago now.

“How have you changed your life once you started to learn about climate change?”

Greta “I have stopped eating meat and dairy”. [This was only part of her response.]

“Why did you stop eating meat?”

“Both of ethical reasons and by ecological reasons”.

Not that it matters hugely what her reasons are but I would be curious to know what she thinks about animal rights and factory farming (if she knows anything about it at all).

If you'd asked me a couple a weeks ago, I'd have said she was one of the leaders of the environmental movement, and perhaps a figurehead. After the last couple of weeks I think she perhaps is now the actual leader of the movement (at least to the extent that anyone is) which is quite strange for a 16 year old.

Her profile has really quite exploded now. Here in Chile, she is all over facebook and on TV and all sorts of things that weren't the case until the last couple of weeks.

I would say she is now one of the most famous people in the world. Perhaps in the top 100 most famous people in the world now.

I hope she is getting some good advice and being well looked after in dealing with all of this. She seems to be coping well but surely any person, regardless of being an adult or child, could have found some of this quite difficult.

Just for the record - as important as it is to support Greta, it is equally important to also support other young activists, especially those from indigenous backgrounds - as indigenous people will be those first and most massively impacted by climate change and also to avoid the perception that climate change awareness is "a white, middle-class thing" ...

Reactions: PTree15