Cigarettes (reopening the question)

AurraSing

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Is smoking vegan? Not all of them... But is smoking cruilty free?? I have no clue. I live in Canada and our free health care covers up everything. I have been smoking Belmont's and now I'm worried. They are owned by Benson and Hedges. They also don't touch on the question at hand. They sell cigarettes in many countries I believe. I was just wondering if there are vegan/cruilty free cigarettes in Canada... that are legal. I know that there are 2 known brands in the states.. Wilson's and American spirit.

Ya ya ya, I smoke. It's harmful... I am not ready to quit so please don't tell me how bad it is. Just help me find something that's not killing monkey babies.

It's not cruelty free. Even if they don't test on animals other humans (children, babies and adults) around your smoking are still inhaling it. That's cruel in my opinion.

That's not my question. And I'm not here to argue opinions. I want to know about labs and that's it.

it's a plant wrapped in a plant, perhaps with a plastic filter. how would it not be vegan?

it's a plant wrapped in a plant, perhaps with a plastic filter. how would it not be vegan?

It's tested on animals. In a horrible way. In Canada, it is not the law to test but some still do and companies like Benson and hedges sell to many countries and it is required by law to test cigarettes in some countries. I do plan on quitting but not right now with all my house Reno's happening. It's not the time for me to go through that stress. I have switched every single product in my house to cruilty free. Except car products. That's my next research project.

Well, smoking isn't meant for vegans because the reports on using animals are evident. However, in a real-world case, the pack of cigarettes you bought yesterday may not be subjected to animal testing. And, I don't think they're made from animal products either. Amidst all the faux speculations, a vegan would be confused. Just don't smoke.

Or even better, start vaping because all of it has to do with plants. You can easily get fruit flavors from e juice wholesale stores all around Canada. Vaping has become the "it" thing of the present and is sure to stay for a couple of years.

Hello and welcome!

Luckily I never got addicted to smoking.

I imagine it's hard to give up smoking but even so, I think it would be best if you try and quit.

There are animal products in almost all cigarettes. Common animal derived ingredients added to tobacco include bees wax and Castoreum. Castoreum is derived from the castor gland of beavers.

One of the few cigarette brands that do not contain Castoreum is Winstons. I think Winstons don't include any additives in their cigarettes (for what that is worth). the parent company of Winstons stopped testing on animals about 5 years ago. So technically speaking Winstons are vegan.

I think American Spirit might also be considered vegan.

but as a whole, I think vegans should not smoke tobacco. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I remember watching an anti-smoking cartoon advertisement when I was a kid. It was these two aliens in a spaceship that fly down to Earth. As they approach and first see humans, they say "Hmm, looks like intelligent beings, Smedley" and the other alien responds as they fly in and see humans smoking, "maybe they're not so intelligent after all." and the other alien quickly replies, "I agree Smedley, I agree" and the spaceship flies back off into outerspace.

Is smoking vegan? It really makes such little sense for intelligent beings, vegan or otherwise, to breathe smoke into their lungs. There's just no good reason for it. Frankly, it's just plain dumb.

Okay, before us so called intelligent humans didn't know the risks, we had a semi-good reason. I say semi-good, as it really shouldn't take thousands of studies to realize that breathing smoke into our lungs might not be good for us. It should really be common sense, don't ya think?

I wish I could find the aliens in the spaceship. I always got a chuckle from this anti-smoking ad too.

• Haha
Reactions: Forest Nymph
Vegans drink and smoke. It's more like Catholicism than Fundamentalist cults if you actually compared it to religion. Veganism like Catholicism has rational tenets and its own philosophers, and doesn't require that you be oil free, gluten free, whole foods, or even sober.

To that end, veganism isn't a religion. You can be fat, thin, gay, straight, nice, mean (I hate when people presume vegans have to be sickly sweet humanists)...and yes you can smoke or drink to your own peril. River Phoenix famously died from heroin in the early 90s, giving my a-hole ex the argument that vegans are weak... Except Chris Farley also died young of drugs and ate every thing in sight, including sentient beings. River's heavily smoking and sometimes drinking vegan younger brother Joaquin has lived so far to mid 40s. They were all vegan since early childhood.

Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou
I just looked it up American Spirit doesn't test on animals. Joaquin Phoenix smokes American Spirits. Camels are smoked by vegetarian Lana del Rey and supposedly no Imperial cig companies animal test.

Reactions: Lou
I remember watching an anti-smoking cartoon advertisement when I was a kid. It was these two aliens in a spaceship that fly down to Earth. As they approach and first see humans, they say "Hmm, looks like intelligent beings, Smedley" and the other other alien responds as they fly in and see humans smoking, "maybe they're not so intelligent after all." and the other alien quickly replies, "I agree Smedley, I agree" and the spaceship flies back off into outerspace.

Is smoking vegan? It really makes such little sense for intelligent beings, vegan or otherwise, to breathe smoke into their lungs. There's just no good reason for it. Frankly, it's just plain dumb.

Okay, before us so called intelligent humans didn't know the risks, we had a semi-good reason. I say semi-good, as it really shouldn't take thousands of studies to realize that breathing smoke into our lungs might not be good for us. It should really be common sense, don't ya think?

I wish I could find the aliens in the spaceship. I always got a chuckle from this anti-smoking ad too.

In the US it was actually advertised to Americans as being healthy by doctors until the 60s. Pregnant women were advised to smoke for lower birth weight. Have you ever seen Merchants of Doubt?

Cigarettes are more physically addictive than heroin. I quit being a smoker in my 20s (I started smoking in my teens in NC which was tobacco land) ...my proof of quitting cigarettes (I can even smoke one occasionally and then not) and of becoming vegan pretty much showed me I can do anything I want to do. Apparently Id rather not quit drinking lol.

In the US it was actually advertised to Americans as being healthy by doctors until the 60s. Pregnant women were advised to smoke for lower birth weight. Have you ever seen Merchants of Doubt?

Cigarettes are more physically addictive than heroin. I quit being a smoker in my 20s (I started smoking in my teens in NC which was tobacco land) ...my proof of quitting cigarettes (I can even smoke one occasionally and then not) and of becoming vegan pretty much showed me I can do anything I want to do. Apparently Id rather not quit drinking lol.

the only season of Mad Men I watched was Season One. and of the interesting plot threads was the ad agency advertising cigarettes and trying to keep the Lucky Strike account.

Apparently Id rather not quit drinking lol.

That will come in time, I assure you. After you venture from your 30's into your 40's and yes, even your 50's, you just won't enjoy those hangovers as much. I'm not saying you won't enjoy an occasional beverage, but only the hardcore boozers continue into old age. You seem a bit brighter than that.

and no, I have not seen Merchants of Doubt, but I probably will now.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
the only season of Mad Men I watched was Season One. and of the interesting plot threads was the ad agency advertising cigarettes and trying to keep the Lucky Strike account.

Its amazing how much of habit or addictions are psychological. That's why I used to get so angry at one of my sisters for her drug use and get angry at meat eaters. You really have more control than you think. I quit smoking by cutting down then stopping. My father died a drug addict but my grandfather overcame alcoholism in his 40s and lived to be 80 with no brain damage at the autopsy.

Life is a series of choices. The hard part is learning why we make those choices. Psychological may actually be worse than physical. Its helped me to forgive my sister but it's why I'm such a hard *** about meat. Milk is more addictive than meat physically dont play with me.

Life is a series of choices.

I was addicted to narcotics, but for me I don't think it was the same as what a heroin addict would feel. I never wanted to get high for one thing. I was in pain and struggled with pain management. When I finally weaned off the narcotics, I had absolutely no desire to relapse. I was glad to have the stuff out of my system.

I honestly can't imagine any addict wakes up in the morning and says they're glad to be an addict. The funny thing about some addictions is that they're totally psychological. I mean like gambling addictions, for example. I've actually known people with that addiction, and for the life of me I just don't understand it. I know it's the winning that triggers that same pleasure part of the brain, much like a drug, but I don't understand why they can't just stop.

Food addictions are extremely powerful. I watched them kill my mom. She used food to feed her depression, which would then cause her to gain weight, which in turn caused more depression. It was a vicious cycle of repetition. Myself, and my siblings tried to help her, but nothing worked. Addiction is a very sad thing.

I was addicted to narcotics, but for me I don't think it was the same as what a heroin addict would feel. I never wanted to get high for one thing. I was in pain and struggled with pain management. When I finally weaned off the narcotics, I had absolutely no desire to relapse. I was glad to have the stuff out of my system.

I honestly can't imagine any addict wakes up in the morning and says they're glad to be an addict. The funny thing about some addictions is that they're totally psychological. I mean like gambling addictions, for example. I've actually known people with that addiction, and for the life of me I just don't understand it. I know it's the winning that triggers that same pleasure part of the brain, much like a drug, but I don't understand why they can't just stop.

Food addictions are extremely powerful. I watched them kill my mom. She used food to feed her depression, which would then cause her to gain weight, which in turn caused more depression. It was a vicious cycle of repetition. Myself, and my siblings tried to help her, but nothing worked. Addiction is a very sad thing.

That is the thing. I quit smoking. I quit eating animals. People ask me to sympathize. Other than Hell Working Class situs, I don't get it.

I don't get being so big you can't move. I would scream. I experimented with drugs, quit smoking.

I could see people saying I dont understand genetically. My mom hasnt drank seriously since her mid 40s but used to drink and smoke. Shes literally two glass of wine ON HOLIDAYS in her 60s and has been since her 50s. My grandpa didnt drink EVER over 50. They're happy ex drinkers ok.

I dunno. My exes mom had a gambling problem. He and I both found it ridiculous. I tried gambling and experimental drugs I found everything stupid.

Except cigs and alcohol which is cultural!

So I no longer smoke, alcohol the last frontier.

It's mostly psychological.

There is a danger in extending definitions to fit everyone's particular lifestyle/habits, and that danger is that the term being defined becomes meaningless. ForestNymph put it well here:

Vegans drink and smoke. It's more like Catholicism than Fundamentalist cults if you actually compared it to religion. Veganism like Catholicism has rational tenets and its own philosophers, and doesn't require that you be oil free, gluten free, whole foods, or even sober.

I happen to smoke presently. The tobacco I purchase isn't tested on animals and it's not already packed into a cigarette. It's not a healthy habit, but it happens to not have anything to do with being vegan. Other habits that have nothing to do with exploitation and harm to animals that happen to be unhealthy habits also have nothing to do with someone being vegan or not.

Someone argued that cigarette smoke could harm an animal therefore...

No. That statement makes quite a few assumptions. It assumes the smoker smokes in the same room with a pet (not outside), or if they do without an open window. Statistically speaking, typical pets and animals in general are far more likely to be hit by a car rather than develop lung cancer do to second hand smoke (and that is assuming they are forced/kept in areas of it). So, better not drive or even take the bus anywhere and call yourself vegan.

Statistically speaking, typical pets and animals in general are far more likely to be hit by a car rather than develop lung cancer do to second hand smoke (and that is assuming they are forced/kept in areas of it).

If you smoke around a cat, the cat is much more likely to develop oral squamous cell carcinoma later in life. What happens is the smoke gets in the cats' hair and then they lick it off grooming themselves, getting the carcinogens in their mouths, which leads to oral cancer.

Reactions: betiPT
If you smoke around a cat, the cat is much more likely to develop oral squamous cell carcinoma later in life. What happens is the smoke gets in the cats' hair and then they lick it off grooming themselves, getting the carcinogens in their mouths, which leads to oral cancer.

If you live in an industrial area where toxins are given off in large amounts in the air...
If you live in a smog filled city area...
If you have a campfire...
A wood burning fireplace...
If ANY of the food you cook is charred...

Yeah. Anyway, I don't smoke around my feline friend, I have had cats for pets since I was kid (and although I didn't smoke then, my relatives did), and not a single one got lung or oral cancer.

Please don't drive. Like I said, if people want to press the point then statistically you are much more likely to kill/injure an animal unless you walk or bike everywhere you go. Using motor vehicles also contributes to air pollution which cats can get on their fur and lick off.

Reactions: betiPT