Christmas Menu Help!

I think your side dishes all sound lovely and I'd be happy eating them with no main. I also think it's really nice to do the whole menu that all your friends can eat it all. Do you have a recipe for the chocolate banana cheesecake?

I think your side dishes all sound lovely and I'd be happy eating them with no main. I also think it's really nice to do the whole menu that all your friends can eat it all. Do you have a recipe for the chocolate banana cheesecake?

I always try to make something everyone can eat when I cook - I think it's nice for everyone to have the same meal, and I hate being that 'odd one out' with the different meal when Omnis cook, so I didn't want to do the same thing to my friends with allergies :)

The chocolate banana cheesecake is from Vegan Pie in the Sky. I can't seem to find the recipe online, but it's a damned good cookbook :)

Reactions: SummerRain
It's very long so I'll write it in note form.

Kate & Sidney Pudding. Serves 4.
300g shallots, quartered
4 cloves garlic
500g chestnut shrooms
250g cooked chestnuts
125g prunes, chopped
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
150ml sherry
1tbsp veg bouillon
150ml boiling water (or omit the sherry and use 300ml water)

Suet crust:
300g self-raising flour (or use any flour and add extra baking powder)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
12 tsp salt
150g veg suet
125ml water or soya milk to mix

Fry shallots until browning then add the garlic, shrooms, 1/2 the chestnuts, prunes, sage, sherry & bouillon. Mash the other 1/2 chestnuts with boiling water and add. Season.

Boil large pan of water. Grease 850ml pudding basin.

Sift flour, baking powder & salt into bowl. Add suet. Use knife to mix to a soft dough with water/milk. Make ball, knead lightly, divide into 3. Roll out 2/3 and line pudding bowl with it, roll out 1/3 to form lid.

Use slotted spoon to place shroom mixture into pastry-lined bowl. Reserve liquid to serve as gravy. Pack down shroom mix and fold excess pastry sides over the top. Damp with water/milk and add pastry lid. Pinch together to seal.

Cover with greaseproof paper and 2 layers of foil. Tie with string and lower into boiling water. Cover and simmer for 1 12 hours, topping up water if it evaporates -should reach halfway up pudding basin. (There are some videos on YouTube that show how to wrap and tie a steamed pud).

:drool:

That sounds like a fabulous recipe SG. I also don't use plain flour when making pastry as I prefer either wholewheat, spelt or kamut flour.

I have posted it in the Recipe section as this recipe is for keeps !!

Thank you for posting it.

Simple trick with green beans ...

Steam (best) or boil till 3/4 cooked

You kinda have to judge quantity for the following to make a very simple coating sauce ..

Heat oil in pan

Add around a spoon of black mustard seeds to every 3-4 spoons of oil

Whap a splatter guard over pan as the seeds will quickly start popping all over the place

Chuck in chopped tinned toms or passatta immediately the inital popping subsides

Stir untill a coating consistency is acheived

Chuck in the part cooked greens and stir untill coated

Leave to finish cooking away from the heat (also kinda marinades them)

Best served after 10-15 mins from there

Reactions: PTree15
:)
Woah, thanks for all the amazing suggestions guys! Definitely bookmarking some of these recipes :D

Thanks to all the inspiration from this thread, I finally decided - I'm going to make some lentil-stuffed cabbage rolls as the main :)

Have you ever made them before ?

Cabbage tastes far better if you use the braising method when cooking it. I love cabbage and just had some for dinner.

Yeah, I usually braise cabbage when I cook it. But the method for stuffing cabbage leaves usually requires boiling the whole head of cabbage for a couple of minutes until you can peel the leaves off easily :)

That sounds like a fabulous recipe SG. I also don't use plain flour when making pastry as I prefer either wholewheat, spelt or kamut flour.
I have posted it in the Recipe section as this recipe is for keeps !!
Thank you for posting it.

No worries. Kamut flour -not familiar with that one. I wonder if I know it by another name?

Like the sound of the green bean recipe and stuffed cabbage on this thread too.

No worries. Kamut flour -not familiar with that one. I wonder if I know it by another name?

Like the sound of the green bean recipe and stuffed cabbage on this thread too.

Actually Kamut is the brand name of khorsasan flour. It is an ancient Egyptian grain.

51ZiBM0ADVL._SY445_.jpg