Christmas Menu Help!

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
So, for the first time this year, I'm hosting my own Christmas! Fiancé and I decided that this year we wanted to have a totally vegan pre-Christmas for our friends at our house, before spending the actual day with our families. Only thing is, I'm having a little trouble with deciding on a main dish, so I thought I'd ask here an dace if anyone has any suggestions! Whatever I make has to be vegan (obviously), but it also has to be gluten free, and cannot contain mushrooms. It'd be nice if it's also quick to make (or is something I can make beforehand).

This is the rest of the menu:

Starter:
Roasted Tomato Bisque
Warm bread rolls

Main:
[main dish]
Roasted potatoes
Roasted carrots
Roasted parsnips
Runner beans
Sage and onion stuffing
Pigs in blankets
Onion gravy
Apple sauce
Cranberry sauce

Pudding:
Chocolate and Banana Cheesecake

What kind of a main dish do you usually make Aery ? As you have already chosen all the side dishes and sauces, it would have to be something that would pair with the latter.

What kind of a main dish do you usually make Aery ? As you have already chosen all the side dishes and sauces, it would have to be something that would pair with the latter.

Well, that's the thing - I usually make pastry to go with all that stuff. But I'm not at all confident with my gluten-free pastry cooking. Last time I made all of that side stuff for my gluten-free friend, I did stuffed mushrooms, but my friend with the mushroom allergy can't have that :p it'd go with a cauliflower cheese, but that's a bit simplistic and not very Christmassy.

I can always change the side dishes and sauces for the right main dish, though :)

What about a lentil/nut loaf? Not sure how good it would go with applesauce or cranberry sauce but it would probably be something you make the day before and then reheat day of. I did a quick search and there are a ton of recipes that are vegan gluten free online.

I'd like to make this one myself:
http://backtoherroots.com/2011/09/28/two-bean-meatless-meatloaf-vegan-gluten-free/

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/02/tasty-yummies-gluten-free-vegan-lentil-meat-loaf/

http://curiousmother.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/vegan-gluten-free-meat-loaf/

Well, that's the thing - I usually make pastry to go with all that stuff. But I'm not at all confident with my gluten-free pastry cooking. Last time I made all of that side stuff for my gluten-free friend, I did stuffed mushrooms, but my friend with the mushroom allergy can't have that :p it'd go with a cauliflower cheese, but that's a bit simplistic and not very Christmassy.

I can always change the side dishes and sauces for the right main dish, though :)
How about something like a lentil based shepherd's pie? Or maybe a 'pasta' made with strips of courgette or something like this: http://healthyforever.tumblr.com/post/37797832020/upsveggiemight-findvegan-quinoa-stuffed?

Reactions: KLS52
I wouldn't be put off with the no gluten aspect of pastry. Why don't you try to make a batch beforehand and she whether you like it ? I usually use Kamut flour which is gluten free and it tastes fine.
Howabout making some kind of Chesnut paté en croute ? Rose Elliot has a recipe and you could substitute the mushrooms with caramilised shallots.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/dec/17/features.weekend4

Well, that's the thing - I usually make pastry to go with all that stuff. But I'm not at all confident with my gluten-free pastry cooking.

Ah! I was about to suggest a million different pastry recipes :p

My mum does this lovely chestnut stuffing, something like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/christmasapricotandc_73428 which she makes in a loaf and slices it up. So delicious, and yet so simple. (ETA: I think it would make a good main, it's similar to a nut loaf).

Yes, I am "liking" everyone's posts because I "like" food and I still don't know what I will be making for myself yet. I will be the only veggie person among 22 family members. I'm thinking if I stay away from something "mock" meat I may get a few of them to try what I bring if it is something in the way of a nut/lentil loaf. I'm pretty much snowed in so maybe I'll see what the cupboard holds and do a trial run today.

Reactions: mary1
Yes, I am "liking" everyone's posts because I "like" food and I still don't know what I will be making for myself yet. I will be the only veggie person among 22 family members. I'm thinking if I stay away from something "mock" meat I may get a few of them to try what I bring if it is something in the way of a nut/lentil loaf. I'm pretty much snowed in so maybe I'll see what the cupboard holds and do a trial run today.

How are you treated as the only veggie person amongst such a large omni crowd ? As there are quite a lot of vega*s in the US, I would have thought you'd have at least one cousin/aunt/uncle/sil/bil/ or other to join you.

I think that I'm going to make mini nut roasts.

My family and friends are awesome. I am very lucky!

To be honest, I feel like they hold me in high esteem or something. It's kind of funny but I kind of like it, lol.

Reactions: RascalsMom
Maybe you could make a tofu quiche, with or without the crust. I like the nut/lentil loaf idea, too.

Snap -I'm doing Christmas dinner for the whole family for the first time and I will be cooking a roast chicken because I'm the only veggie, but I'm going to make a 'Kate and Sidney' suet pudding for myself and hopefully to tempt some of the omnis too. It's not much use to you though because the main ingredient is mushrooms! I was just going to say that I have made gluten-free pastry and it is not a problem. It's a good excuse to use some really interesting flours. The suet pastry that I'll be using is yummy and could be made with gluten-free flour. I hardly ever use wheat flour because there are so many great alternatives and I like to get a wide range of nutrients. I'll obviously be using veggie suet ;)

Snap -I'm doing Christmas dinner for the whole family for the first time and I will be cooking a roast chicken because I'm the only veggie, but I'm going to make a 'Kate and Sidney' suet pudding for myself and hopefully to tempt some of the omnis too. It's not much use to you though because the main ingredient is mushrooms! I was just going to say that I have made gluten-free pastry and it is not a problem. It's a good excuse to use some really interesting flours. The suet pastry that I'll be using is yummy and could be made with gluten-free flour. I hardly ever use wheat flour because there are so many great alternatives and I like to get a wide range of nutrients. I'll obviously be using veggie suet ;)

I'm not familiar with the recipe SG. Could you post it for us, if you have a spare moment pls ? I really enjoy steamed suet puddings.

Shyvas, the recipe is scribbled down in my notebook -I got it from a magazine ages ago. I'll try to find it online or if not I'll copy it out later. I also adore steamed puddings and this one has quite a lot of gravy inside, so I reckon it will get me off the hook for having to make two different gravies on the day. I love sweet steamed puds too -decadent but yummy.

Shyvas, the recipe is scribbled down in my notebook -I got it from a magazine ages ago. I'll try to find it online or if not I'll copy it out later. I also adore steamed puddings and this one has quite a lot of gravy inside, so I reckon it will get me off the hook for having to make two different gravies on the day. I love sweet steamed puds too -decadent but yummy.

Don't worry as I'm in no hurry. :)

I also like hot sweet puddings as they are so comforting.

It's very long so I'll write it in note form.

Kate & Sidney Pudding. Serves 4.
300g shallots, quartered
4 cloves garlic
500g chestnut shrooms
250g cooked chestnuts
125g prunes, chopped
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
150ml sherry
1tbsp veg bouillon
150ml boiling water (or omit the sherry and use 300ml water)

Suet crust:
300g self-raising flour (or use any flour and add extra baking powder)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
12 tsp salt
150g veg suet
125ml water or soya milk to mix

Fry shallots until browning then add the garlic, shrooms, 1/2 the chestnuts, prunes, sage, sherry & bouillon. Mash the other 1/2 chestnuts with boiling water and add. Season.

Boil large pan of water. Grease 850ml pudding basin.

Sift flour, baking powder & salt into bowl. Add suet. Use knife to mix to a soft dough with water/milk. Make ball, knead lightly, divide into 3. Roll out 2/3 and line pudding bowl with it, roll out 1/3 to form lid.

Use slotted spoon to place shroom mixture into pastry-lined bowl. Reserve liquid to serve as gravy. Pack down shroom mix and fold excess pastry sides over the top. Damp with water/milk and add pastry lid. Pinch together to seal.

Cover with greaseproof paper and 2 layers of foil. Tie with string and lower into boiling water. Cover and simmer for 1 12 hours, topping up water if it evaporates -should reach halfway up pudding basin. (There are some videos on YouTube that show how to wrap and tie a steamed pud).

:drool: