Christmas Food & Baking - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very excited! My dad asked me to make vegan sausages for him for Christmas. He really loves them!

I also like them. I more or less eat them on a daily basis due to lack of choice of other protein products. I'm not a fan of tofu however, I bought a pack of smoked tofu which I don't mind.

Reactions: Freesia
I also like them. I more or less eat them on a daily basis due to lack of choice of other protein products. I'm not a fan of tofu however, I bought a pack of smoked tofu which I don't mind.
I am lucky that I love tofu as well. Last week, I had regular seitan, and I am making more tonight. I've been on a total seitan kick of late. It's so good! I wish you had more protein options, as food ruts can be annoying.
I've not tried smoked tofu, though it sounds delicious.

I am lucky that I love tofu as well. Last week, I had regular seitan, and I am making more tonight. I've been on a total seitan kick of late. It's so good! I wish you had more protein options, as food ruts can be annoying.
I've not tried smoked tofu, though it sounds delicious.

I'm making it with smashed potatoes with plant based butter and Cornish sea salt for tonight's dinner.

OK, I think I may have settled on a menu of sorts. I'll be watching the house for a week (starting Wednesday), so I want a few cooking projects to keep me busy. No "main course", but definitely holiday-esque comfort foods.... ;)

I'm gonna make red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for Jerry.... plus I wanna make spinach-artichoke dip cups, a green bean casserole, and mashed potatoes with roasted garlic gravy. :)

I can't stop thinking about those last three.... :drool: LMAO :woo:

I made this tonight and it didn't taste anything like cream cheese. :no: I've had cashew cream cheese before and it's delicious so I almost made a double batch. I'm glad I decided to try it out first. I'm going to try to find something I can add this to, I'd hate to waste all these cashews.

Also, mine came out yellow, not white like in the pictures. :???:
Sounds like a lot of acid between the vinegar and lemon juice. this sounds better-
How to Make Soy-free Vegan & Paleo Cream Cheese
I've never done a cashew creme cheese, but I did make a great cheese ball textured cashew cheese with used refined coconut oil That gave it a great texture, and I would suggest some in a creme cheese

Reactions: Calliegirl
Cool to hear further plans, looks like people are lining up some great menus :) .

I am planning the stew.. need to get it decided by tonight so I can get the shopping list done for it, perhaps on Friday. The last time I went to the supermarket it was mayhem so I will have a challenge.. might try and go really early... though these days even that isnt a guarantee that it wont be crowded.

Cool to hear further plans, looks like people are lining up some great menus :) .

I am planning the stew.. need to get it decided by tonight so I can get the shopping list done for it, perhaps on Friday. The last time I went to the supermarket it was mayhem so I will have a challenge.. might try and go really early... though these days even that isnt a guarantee that it wont be crowded.
That's so true about the grocery store. I need apples for one dish I am making, and I'm going to be sure I go either tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

I've been mulling something over, though I'd post here... thinkin' about another Communal Cook-Fest sometime soon! :) Maybe a post-holiday, beat-the-winter-blues kinda thing?? Perhaps a two-tier meal like, say, everybody has to make a soup/stew AND some sort of baked good.... o_O

Just throwin' it out there.... my apologies for the folks experiencing summer right now. You can do cold soups! LOL :p

I'm in!

Tonight I am going to make hummus, vegan sausages, pie crust for my apple pie and possibly more cranberry-orange muffins. I need to make gingerbread, too, but I'm waiting until Friday to make that.

OK, I need to remember the link to the sh*t I wanna make is on page 3 of this thread... my printer's broken, so when I'm cooking all this stuff, I may have to run back and forth between kitchen & computer. LOL :rolleyes:

I'm gonna roast the bulb of garlic today for the roasted garlic gravy.... that'll keep in the fridge until I'm ready for it, meaning after I go grocery shopping tomorrow. :p

Conceivably, I COULD make the gravy today... I have evoo & low-salt veggie broth & Wondra flour. I suppose it depends how long I wanna stay at home today. LOL

Last edited:
I'm finally starting to think about the holiday weekend and what I'm going to need to cook/bake. I'm definitely going to make an apple and pear crisp tomorrow for DH's bday celebration. I think we've settled on gingerbread waffles, broiled grapefruit with brown sugar and vegan sausages for Christmas morning brunch. And I will probably make some kind of a pie for Christmas dessert - maybe a bourbon chocolate pecan pie. :) Christmas dinner will just be spaghetti and salad at my parents.

Does anyone have an excellent recipe for vegan French toast?

Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
My meze tomorrow is now decided, and it's the food I'm most excited about. I love Middle Eastern food, and the tradition at home the 23rd has always been eating a lunch, decorating the house and the tree and then start to eat the Xmas food. It was allways warm baguetts with different types of spread, but since I can't have none of that anymore, I need to find new traditions.

So last year I tried on a meze, and it was really great. And it will be a great tradition, as I can easy adjust it to the food I can eat at the time. And since I know what I want, I can stay away from a lot of it some months ahead, so I can be sure to be able to eat it. :D

This year I will try Dolmades for the first time. It will be a bit exciting, and the thing that can really fail. Then I'm making hummus, baba ganosh, a cucumber sallad, a sallad of grilled eggplants and bell pepper, Libanesian potatoes, tabbouleh, falafels, olives, pickled beet roots, pickled garlic and sundried tomatoes. I think this will be really great!

I think I have some houers on the kitchen tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to it. :D

My meze tomorrow is now decided, and it's the food I'm most excited about. I love Middle Eastern food, and the tradition at home the 23rd has always been eating a lunch, decorating the house and the tree and then start to eat the Xmas food. It was allways warm baguetts with different types of spread, but since I can't have none of that anymore, I need to find new traditions.

So last year I tried on a meze, and it was really great. And it will be a great tradition, as I can easy adjust it to the food I can eat at the time. And since I know what I want, I can stay away from a lot of it some months ahead, so I can be sure to be able to eat it. :D

This year I will try Dolmades for the first time. It will be a bit exciting, and the thing that can really fail. Then I'm making hummus, baba ganosh, a cucumber sallad, a sallad of grilled eggplants and bell pepper, Libanesian potatoes, tabbouleh, falafels, olives, pickled beet roots, pickled garlic and sundried tomatoes. I think this will be really great!

I think I have some houers on the kitchen tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to it. :D
All of that sounds delicious! Enjoy!

All sounding awesome... pies, sausages, desserts, middle eastern food ... etc.. :) !

Status
Not open for further replies.