Christmas Food & Baking - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this gingerbread from allrecipes, subbing flax egg and oil -
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup veg oil
  • Beat together, then add-
  • 1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 Tablespoons water
  • 1 cup molasses
  • Sift together and add to creamed mixture-
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Stir in-
  • 1 cup hot water
Directions
Pour into the prepared pan.
  1. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.
I actually added about 3 times the listed spices

I've been craving gingerbread...glad you posted this!

Reactions: PTree15
I've been craving gingerbread...glad you posted this!
I used a pan that had 6 mini bundts in it - like a big muffin tin? I put that in a pan of water just because I'd always done that for things like gingerbread- it wasn't in the recipe to do that, but maybe it helped keep it moist. It's very very good! I wasn't sure how much to mix the hot water in, it still had a few lumps but i didn't want to overmix.
I got that Nordic ware pan from a thrift shop, they didn't turn out as pretty as I'd thought

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
Ok, good to know. Pretty is irrelevant if it tastes good! Although I know it's better to have cakes look nice. :)

Darn...I was going to order the McVities digestive biscuits from Amazon but they have dairy.

Does anyone know what the USA equivalent of digestive biscuits is?

Oh, that looks good, actually!

So, if animal crackers would work, I did find some vegan biscuits that are very similar. Maybe I'll try those.

My annual Christmas meal with my friends is next weekend! It's better than actual Christmas because I get to cook everything myself so it's all vegan :woo:

This year I'm doing asparagus soup to start, then for the main I'm doing a white bean, butternut squash, and kale pastry parcel with all the trimmings - stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, green beans, and home-made onion gravy. Pudding will be a chocolate tart with coconut whipped cream and fresh raspberries. I'm also making mince pies :)

Then we're all gonna get very, very... :drunk:

Sounds awesome, Aery!

My sister is having Christmas I am not big eater these ideas are great . I am having some oral problems . So cannot eat anything crunchy

Reactions: Freesia
My annual Christmas meal with my friends is next weekend! It's better than actual Christmas because I get to cook everything myself so it's all vegan :woo:

This year I'm doing asparagus soup to start, then for the main I'm doing a white bean, butternut squash, and kale pastry parcel with all the trimmings - stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, green beans, and home-made onion gravy. Pudding will be a chocolate tart with coconut whipped cream and fresh raspberries. I'm also making mince pies :)

Then we're all gonna get very, very... :drunk:

The parcel/pie sounds really nice.

Darn...I was going to order the McVities digestive biscuits from Amazon but they have dairy.

Does anyone know what the USA equivalent of digestive biscuits is?
Would these suffice?

CarrsWWsm.jpg

Ingredients
Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Sugar, Cane Syrup, Water, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Tartaric Acid, Malic Acid), Salt.

Reactions: KLS52
Loving all these replies... pies, tarts, puddings, roast vegetables..

I am still deciding what to do. Maybe I might make a stew. But I dont know if that is Xmasy.

I will be making apple pie, gingerbread and a squash-apple cinnamon bake. I also will make mashed potatoes and vegan sausages again, I think. I just love them and can't get enough of them. I've also thought about making a veggie pot pie to share. I am craving savory meals of late. I will likely bring sugar cookies as well. I so love them at Christmas.

I have nothing special or celebratory planned.... but I'd still like to whip up a special treat for Jerry. His absolute favorite kind of cake is red velvet, so I went looking for vegan recipes. Shhh! LOL :p

I think I've settled on this one: Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes - 40 Aprons

red_velvet_cupcakes+3+of+81.jpg

No recipe for the "cream cheese" frosting they mention, so I'm just gonna buy some. It'll be way easier, too. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.