Christmas Food & Baking - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesia

not my business.
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Christmas food: I am so curious to know what people are cooking :) . I know it is a little early maybe to be thinking about it, but still :) .

vegan_christmas.jpg

I'm losing interest in cooking since it's just for myself and my family always has the traditional Omni foods for holidays. With the exception of baking sweets, of course. I guess I'll just have to concentrate on that.

I don't know what it is with seitan and nut roasts. I have so many recipes I want to try but when it comes time to actually do it, I get overwhelmed.

Reactions: Freesia
I'm losing interest in cooking since it's just for myself and my family always has the traditional Omni foods for holidays. With the exception of baking sweets, of course. I guess I'll just have to concentrate on that.

I don't know what it is with seitan and nut roasts. I have so many recipes I want to try but when it comes time to actually do it, I get overwhelmed.

I always make a nut roast and they are surprisingly easy to make. Moreover you can make mini loaves beforehand and freeze them for your BIG day KL.:D

Reactions: KLS52 and Freesia
I would love to make something elaborate this year but things have been really weird this year and too chaotic... people have been in bad moods and lots of stress abounding so I will probably try and make something as simple as i can come up with.

I have thought about making a Christmas soup with pesto.. maybe fruit salad for dessert... not sure if that is too simple though.

I've thought about it a bit more. :pI think I might make these for dessert.Vegan Chocolate Ganache Torte | Lauren Caris Cooks I will make vegan Baileys as well this year.:)

I was thinking of doing brussel sprouts fried with strips of vegan bacon as a side dish this year.

So I will probably make a nut roast with scalloped potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots, brussel sprouts with vegan bacon, sage and onion stuffing and gravy.

Vegan chocolate torte with ice cream for dessert. Homemade Baileys.

I've thought about it a bit more. :pI think I might make these for dessert.Vegan Chocolate Ganache Torte | Lauren Caris Cooks I will make vegan Baileys as well this year.:)

I was thinking of doing brussel sprouts fried with strips of vegan bacon as a side dish this year.

So I will probably make a nut roast with scalloped potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots, brussel sprouts with vegan bacon, sage and onion stuffing and gravy.

Vegan chocolate torte with ice cream for dessert. Homemade Baileys.

Those tarts are so pretty. ;) I usually make chocolate and coconut pudding using the same method. It really does taste delicious and is easy to make.

I also like a nut roast with roast root vegetables, potatoes and gravy. Nothing fancy but plain, delicious home cooking.

Don't you like Christmas pudding Molls ? I'm planning to make one and have it over the Christmas week end.

Don't you like Christmas pudding Molls ? I'm planning to make one and have it over the Christmas week end.

No, I don't really like Christmas pudding, I used to really like Yule log when I was younger.

What nut roast recipe do you use?

No, I don't really like Christmas pudding, I used to really like Yule log when I was younger.

What nut roast recipe do you use?

I really do like Christmas pudding, mince pies and cake.:D I don't like Yule log ; so we won't fight over dessert.:p

I usually do Rose Elliot's nut roast and tweak the recipe around as usual. I think that it's in her Christmas Vegetarian book. I always add a mixture of nuts and some butternut squash purée as a binder.

I usually do Rose Elliot's nut roast and tweak the recipe around as usual. I think that it's in her Christmas Vegetarian book. I always add a mixture of nuts and some butternut squash purée as a binder.

Yes, that is the same recipe I usually use as I can remember it off the top of my head. I went through a stage of making it for Sunday dinner.

I don't mind a small bowl of Christmas pudding occasionally, but it has to be drowned in custard.:D

All this Xmas mince pie and nut loaf /veg/trimmings stuff sounds really fabulous. I cant wait to hear about the finished results in 2 weeks when people make it.

I am kind of thinking of making a stew now. Something one pot and I will also make my pesto. I noticed the baby garlics are in store today so hopefully will be able to use them.

I am thinking of making this for Christmas: Chickpea Veggie Loaf - Vegan Richa. I haven't made a veggie loaf in ages. I too get overwhelmed with the thought of it. I have a whole three days off before Christmas so plenty of time to play with it. :)

I love Vegan Richa's recipes :) . I made one of her quiches once, it turned out great, she is very innovative.

Reactions: Naturebound1
I'm planning to make rum balls and popcorn balls.

I'm not making anything savoury. We're going to my family's place for the holidays, and my mother makes me a homemade version of tofurky, as I don't like actual tofurky. It's just marinated slabs of baked tofu which are then layered with homemade stuffing. It tastes good with cranberry sauce.

Reactions: KLS52 and Freesia
I am hoping my mother-in-law will send her traditional Christmas tamales again this year! She always makes special vegetarian ones just for me. We typically eat them Christmas eve, so I'll need to think of another meal for Christmas day, but it hadn't even crossed my mind until I saw this thread! Maybe, homemade masa tortillas with black beans, guacamole, plus some veggies for sides. Not really sure, but its always a huge challenge to feed everyone in my family with our million food allergies, plus my two year old ... who embraces acting her age with all of her little feisty being.

Status
Not open for further replies.