Christmas Countdown & Everything Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recorded a few Christmas films and I will watch a few over the weekend.:) ETA - If I have recorded any decent films, that is. Some of them can be a bit hit or miss!
Totally, although I am finding this year’s new hallmark movies to be better than the previous two years. I still like watching some of the older ones. I have a few on dvr so I can watch them whenever I want.

Reactions: PTree15
I tend to not go for the serious drama-type Christmas movies. I want lighthearted romcoms or even family oriented ones that tend to be on the funny side. I hate mysteries or anything where they have to solve some kind of “puzzle”…or ones that leave you sobbing at the end, lol. In general those are fine but not for Christmas.

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Some of my favorites so far:

Three Wise Men and a Baby
A Magical Christmas Village
Lights, Camera, Christmas
In Merry Measure
The Royal Nanny
Inventing the Christmas Prince
My Southern Family Christmas

I’m going to watch the Noel Diaries next because it was filmed in Essex Connecticut which is only a few miles from me.

Reactions: Raven
Yesterday I chopped up the dried fruit for the mince pies and today I added the spices and red wine so that it can soak overnight. I just had a little taste and - WOW - it packs a punch! I hope some of the alcohol is removed in the cooking. I didn't intend it to be a substitute for drinking. :rofl:

• Love
Reactions: KLS52
Yesterday I chopped up the dried fruit for the mince pies and today I added the spices and red wine so that it can soak overnight. I just had a little taste and - WOW - it packs a punch! I hope some of the alcohol is removed in the cooking. I didn't intend it to be a substitute for drinking. :rofl:
Haha sounds awesome lol.

Reactions: Brian W
I'm vegan, so I have to make the obligatory wet blanket comment.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I'm an atheist, but I really liked what my father did for Christmas after he got divorced and became a Catholic again.

He would let people know months in advance that he didn't want to exchange gifts that cost in excess of $20.
He would spend Christmas morning in church and have a small number of guests for Christmas dinner.

"Putting the Christ back in Christmas".

Reactions: Brian W and KLS52
I'm vegan, so I have to make the obligatory wet blanket comment.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I'm an atheist, but I really liked what my father did for Christmas after he got divorced and became a Catholic again.

He would let people know months in advance that he didn't want to exchange gifts that cost in excess of $20.
He would spend Christmas morning in church and have a small number of guests for Christmas dinner.

"Putting the Christ back in Christmas".
We need an "applause" like button for posts like this. :jump:
:clp::dance:

Reactions: beforewisdom
When I woke up this morning, I looked at M and she was lying peacefully asleep with a smile on her face. That was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and it set my mood for the day. We have our star lit up but we couldn't find our candles. We have listened to the first Christmas music of the year and the Mince Pies are in the oven and nearly ready.

We taste-tested the mince pies and they are awesome! I'm heating some now for us to have with Alpro custard.

Our tree is up! Love it - so beautiful. 🥰 Tomorrow I'll get some presents wrapped to go under it as I hate them being around everywhere (we've got boxes on and in the wardrobe and various other locations.)

We had Christmas songs on while we decorated. 😁

I'm going to decorate after Thanksgiving. I'm hosting our family party this year, so I want the house all Christmas-ed up! I'm getting a new tree this year, too. My other one is too big and unwieldy anymore, so I want a slightly smaller one.
So, change of plans. My nephew's girlfriend broke her leg and had to have surgery! So now the Christmas party will move their house on Christmas Eve because she'd have to ride two hours in the car to get to my house, which isn't good (they live in New Hampshire). All good, though. I didn't end up decorating yet. For Thanksgiving, I went to my sister's as planned, but I stayed over until Saturday, and then I went to my parents' house to help them get their tree out of the basement. Ended up decorating the whole thing with Mom directing some of it. I must say I did a pretty good job! I didn't get home until Sunday night, and then it was time for the work week to start.

I will decorate this weekend, most likely. I may do bits and pieces throughout this week, as so far, my day job is slow. The company I edit for lost a big client, so we're feeling the hit, as that client provided a ton of content. The first thing is to get a new tree! I may do that tomorrow. I just made a list of all the things to do/bake/cook/buy for the holiday. I feel a bit more organized now.

Some of my favorites so far:

Three Wise Men and a Baby
A Magical Christmas Village
Lights, Camera, Christmas
In Merry Measure
The Royal Nanny
Inventing the Christmas Prince
My Southern Family Christmas

I’m going to watch the Noel Diaries next because it was filmed in Essex Connecticut which is only a few miles from me.
I LOVED The Royal Nanny and A Magical Christmas Village! And of course, Three Wise Men and a Baby. I haven't seen the others on your list yet. I keep watching older ones. I love Coyote Creek Christmas, The Christmas Waltz, Five Star Christmas, A Royal Christmas, Once Upon a Holiday ... I could go on and on, lol.

Reactions: KLS52
I liked Christmas Waltz and 5 Star Christmas.

• Love
I need these in my life but I don’t have access to vegan ones so I’ll have to make them. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best kind of cake recipe to start with? Or would a regular recipe do and I just need to make it super thin in something like a cookie sheet? I’m afraid it won’t hold up well during the handling/assembling. They are bite-sized, petit fours in case that’s not clear, lol. All suggestions welcome. C0E989BE-0813-41CB-9E30-568A18F2AF5D.jpeg

I need these in my life but I don’t have access to vegan ones so I’ll have to make them. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best kind of cake recipe to start with? Or would a regular recipe do and I just need to make it super thin in something like a cookie sheet? I’m afraid it won’t hold up well during the handling/assembling. They are bite-sized, petit fours in case that’s not clear, lol. All suggestions welcome. View attachment 28315

I`ve never made sponge style petit fours but you could try a classic vegan sponge recipe. You would require a rectangular or square
tin not a sheet to bake the sponge. The sponge is very light and delicate so make sure you use an egg substitute. Fondant is usually used for the topping which is hard to make. In the UK you can buy it already made and rolled at all of the major supermarkets.

Good luck.:)

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I'm not sure I have vegan fondant here. I was thinking of dipping them in chocolate. I did find two recipes online. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

I miss these so much. I used to get them every year at hickory farms. They were always so fresh and good. They keep coming up in my Facebook feed now...I forget from where...might be Harry and David's. I could buy them for everyone else but that would just make me cry lol.

• Friendly
Status
Not open for further replies.