Choice between Caged eggs or humane chicken?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Okay so I'm not vegan anymore.
I really wanted to be but (1.) My past eating disorder was resurfacing because of the restrictions and labels I had put on myself. (And that scared me) And (2.) I was constantly craving the texture of meat.
I'm allergic to soy, gluten and dariy so going vegan severely limited my food choices.
So I started eating humane eggs, then wild caught fish, then chicken (killed through a painless prosses), then turkey, then yesterday I bought organic beef.
And that's when it hit me.
WHAT AM I DOING?!
I *ABSOLUTELY HATE* the thought of eating something that had been alive but here I am doing it multiple times a week.
So I need your advice.
Quorn makes gluten and soy free chicken BUT it has egg white in it.
Do I chose quorn (knowing that the egg most likely comes from a factory farm) or do I continue to eat chicken that's humane.
(Another problem is that at least when I eat chicken my parents are also eating humane chicken. When I eat vegan they just buy cheap factory farmed chicken. Same goes for any animal product.)
I'm sorry this was so long.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

There are other options if you're intolerant to soya and gluten. Why eat so much animal flesh if you hate it ? There is no such thing
as 'humane' meat.

I'm not worried about protein - i know how to get enough with lentils, nuts/seeds, and beans - I would only be having Quorn for the texture.

I may have misunderstood your post. If you're not worried about protein why are you consuming so much flesh ?

I may have misunderstood your post. If you're not worried about protein why are you consuming so much flesh ?
Because my family eats fish 2-3 times per week, chicken 1-2 times a month, and turkey burgers 1-2 times a month. It's just easier to go with what they're doing than to try and come up with something different for myself. (and yes: I am trying to introduce vegan or vegetarian meals to my parents in hopes that they'll start to like those type of meals better)

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Because my family eats fish 2-3 times per week, chicken 1-2 times a month, and turkey burgers 1-2 times a month. It's just easier to go with what they're doing than to try and come up with something different for myself. (and yes: I am trying to introduce vegan or vegetarian meals to my parents in hopes that they'll start to like those type of meals better)

So perhaps you don't hate it as much, as you mentioned in your initial post ? I'm just trying to understand the logic within your question.

So perhaps you don't hate it as much, as you mentioned in your initial post ? I'm just trying to understand the logic within your question.
what I hate is the thought that an animal had to die and suffer for my food. I don't want to eat animal flesh - but I want the texture.

Well, most importantly, I think it's good that you're aware of your ED triggers and are protecting yourself from relapse. If you're eating omni with your family, just eat the Quorn products. You're not going to find humane animal products, end of, so Quorn is no worse than any other vegetarian option. My best advice is continue to take care of yourself and keep an eye out for vegan products you can add to your family's meals, which also meet your dietary restrictions. New products are being created every day! Good luck.

Reactions: Lou
Well, most importantly, I think it's good that you're aware of your ED triggers and are protecting yourself from relapse. If you're eating omni with your family, just eat the Quorn products. You're not going to find humane animal products, end of, so Quorn is no worse than any other vegetarian option. My best advice is continue to take care of yourself and keep an eye out for vegan products you can add to your family's meals, which also meet your dietary restrictions. New products are being created every day! Good luck.
Thank you! after reading what you all have said i'm defiantly going to start eating Quorn instead of chicken.

Although Quorn hasn't gone entirely vegan yet they are planning to and in the meantime, depending on your location there might already be some vegan Quorn products in your grocery store.

Meanwhile, Beyond Burgers are soy and gluten free - vegan.

Oh!! here you go.
Only the top 6 are both gluten and soy-free.

Reactions: Emma JC
@Queen of Strawberries - Beyond Meat. Burgers, sausages, my son loves their chicken strips too. I didn't realize how much I missed sausage like that, they really have the taste and texture of Italian sausage or, I guess, brats. They're juicy, and greasy, and even can be crumbled
I believe all their products are both soy and gluten free.-https://www.beyondmeat.com/faqs/

Reactions: Lou
Okay so I'm not vegan anymore.
I really wanted to be but (1.) My past eating disorder was resurfacing because of the restrictions and labels I had put on myself. (And that scared me) And (2.) I was constantly craving the texture of meat.
I'm allergic to soy, gluten and dariy so going vegan severely limited my food choices.
So I started eating humane eggs, then wild caught fish, then chicken (killed through a painless prosses), then turkey, then yesterday I bought organic beef.
And that's when it hit me.
WHAT AM I DOING?!
I *ABSOLUTELY HATE* the thought of eating something that had been alive but here I am doing it multiple times a week.
So I need your advice.
Quorn makes gluten and soy free chicken BUT it has egg white in it.
Do I chose quorn (knowing that the egg most likely comes from a factory farm) or do I continue to eat chicken that's humane.
(Another problem is that at least when I eat chicken my parents are also eating humane chicken. When I eat vegan they just buy cheap factory farmed chicken. Same goes for any animal product.)
I'm sorry this was so long.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

A few points:

Eggs are not humane, even if they are not from factory farms, and are truly free range. Hens body's react biologically to eggs taken from them. They produce more, and while this is great for the egg seller, it means to the hen it takes more and more nutrients to produce more eggs. This is the reason some hens eat their own eggs, because the constant production is seriously taxing on their bodies. This constant production is again a biological reaction to the taking of their eggs.

If you're allergic to soy, how about other legumes? I know soy is prized because of tofu and tempeh, but I'm sure similar products could be made with other beans. I've made tofu with a home kit, and I have to believe it's entirely possible using other beans.

If truly allergic to gluten, you will have serious serious reactions to it. I have a friend who has celiac disease and can't even eat with the same utensils if they've been used on a gluten containing product. There are alternative breads that are naturally gluten free. This is a time to investigate them, and/or how to make them.

Quorn - this is basically fungus protein and it is not the same as edible mushrooms. Some people have had problems with it, so be very careful, especially if you have any fungal allergies.

Just a few comments about sensitivity, allergies, and Celiac's disease.

Some people do have a sensitivity or an allergy to the fungus that makes up Quorn. And since normally we don't eat that kind of fungus that can be an unpleasant surprise. If you have had a Quorn product and not been hospitalized you have nothing to worry about. If you have never had a Quorn product it is considered prudent to just try a tablespoon and then wait a day.

If you have Celiac's disease you have had it all your life and there is no doubt about it. Your reaction to gluten is debilitating. However, people can have gluten sensitivity and even acquire one. And the sensitivity can be mild. However thanks to some misplaced marketing efforts, some people think gluten is, in general, unhealthy and want to avoid it. Gluten itself isn't unhealthy. The concern is the amount of processed refined grains people eat. The mRDA is about 3 servings of grains a day. Some people eat six.

In a recent medical research project, they asked people if they thought they were sensitive to gluten and then tested for it. I don't remember the exact numbers but something like half the people who said they were sensitive to gluten - were not. Even more alarming, some people who thought they were not sensitive to gluten - were. It's a simple test and if you have any doubts you should get the test. Although for a regular person avoiding gluten isn't much of a hardship, it's such a good source of protein for vegans, it is not something to be avoided unless you have to.

There are people who are allergic to soy. And if you are allergic to soy you have been allergic to soy your whole life and there is little doubt about it. (although if there is a doubt there is also a simple test a doctor can do). A soy allergy is uncommon. A little more common is a soy sensitivity. And you don't have to be born with a soy sensitivity - you can develop one. And there is a spectrum of symptoms. Many people with soy sensitivity can deal with it by just eating small amounts. Like the soy in a protein bar doesn't hurt but a glass of soymilk is painful. Also sometimes soy sensitivities can be moderated with the type of soy. For instance, they can tolerate fermented soy products or maybe cooked ones but not raw ones. I also read about a few people who had reactions to GMO soy but not Non-GMO soy. Since GMO soy is exposed to large quantities of herbicide - it's possible that the reaction might be to the herbicide and not to the soy.

Although I suppose there are some people who really are allergic to milk, what is most often meant when someones says they have a dairy allergy is that they are lactose intolerant. Their body lacks the enzyme necessary to digest lactose, the sugar in all mammalian milk. All mammalian babies have this enzyme. But most mammals lose the ability to produce that enzyme after being weaned. However, about half the human population can continue to produce that enzyme after weaning. (it is actually a mutation - which is an interesting story itself). The other half is called lactose intolerant. The symptoms of lactose intolerance are also on a spectrum. some dairy products have more lactose than others. Milk has a lot. Cheese doesn't have that much. So some people with lactose intolerance can drink small amounts of milk safely, or maybe have a slice of cheese or a scoop of icecream.

I would do netiher, and do fake eggs and fake chicken. Or, I would just buy egg dolls and chicken dolls and play with those.

61rONadTHBL._SX425_.jpg