US Chocolate

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

SOAP LEGEND DR. BRONNER’S IS LAUNCHING VEGAN CHOCOLATE CANDY BARS

Known for its all-in-one soaps, Dr. Bronner’s new Magic All-One Chocolate line comes in six decadent flavors and supports regenerative agriculture and the livelihood of small farmers.​

This is interesting (and good) on a few levels. First off, this may be the biggest horizontal growth I've seen in product or brand diversification. Sure we've seen Beyond expand their products but they stay focused on meats. Non Dairy companies like So Delious have gone from ice cream to cheese. But its still non-dairy. But going from soap to chocolate is a pretty big leap.
I like it tho. Dr. BRonner's has been a trusted provider of animal free cleaning products for vegans for years. And ethical vegan chocolate is not an overly saturated market. So I think this is going to be a winner.

Can they fit the whole "All-One" manifesto on the label ? :rofl:
I can't find an image of the "flip side" of the chocolate bar's label.
it definitely would crack me up if it resembles the label on their soap products.

In another article about Dr. Bronners's chocolates (see link at bottom), there was an option to leave comments and one of the comments brought up the Brother David line of Cannabis products. A little google investigation on my part led me to discover that "Brother David" is David Bronner, grandson of Dr. Bronner and CEO of Dr. Bronners's Magical soap.

All profits from Brother David's go toward protecting the land, lives, and communities of our cannabis family — promoting small-scale family farms practicing regenerative organic agriculture, and fighting a system that unjustly criminalizes cannabis.

The containers the weed comes in are pretty small so there isn't a lot of room for messaging but each container does have a message.

Here is an example of one

Orange Valley Sun
Balanced hybrid
Bask in these brilliant beams while you’re high as a kite or flying low and slow. Let this concentration of solar rays fuel you up for the cruise. Grown by Moon Made Farms
Sweet citrus, clove, pine
Lifted, level, luminous

----------

A little more news.

The brand decided to develop its new chocolate line when the company learned that the farmers in Ghana that supply the organic and fair-trade palm oil grow cocoa as well. While working to develop the chocolate, Dr. Bronner’s also maintained agroforestry during the production and farming, which allows the crops and complementary streets to create a self-supporting environment without much human intervention. The company worked with the local farmers to grow the ingredients for its Magic All-One Chocolate bars while also supporting the communities and existing crops.​

Being that David Bronner is growing weed and his company is making chocolate, I don't expect it to be too long before we see a Real Magical chocolate bar.

• Love
Reactions: Chryssie and silva
I'll be looking for one!
I used the soap when I first moved out on my own, and then when I when I vegan. It works very well in a foaming soap pump!
Not a fan of the smells though, even less when someone posted it smells like @ss :confused:

I would take the soap on camping trips because of the all in one aspect. plus its can be put in small container and still last all week.
Its also the best anti-poison oak soap. Still have a bottle in the bathroom for poison oak encounters.
They come in various scents. I usually go with citrus.

I haven't heard about any big companies getting into the THC edible market. From what I understand each state has different laws and certifications. So its as far as I know its just small local kitchens. But its big business in Ca, Or, and Co. so I would't be surprised is Brother David gets involved.
Hmmmm. you know with all the hand washing I did this year - I wonder if there is a need or demand for a THC infused hand wash. Dr. Bronnner's Magic soap!

So, finally some more news for this thread!

Mars is jumping into the mix.

They are calling it CO2COA.
First off, I don't like the name. I guess you would pronounce it Co -Two- Co-A.

At first I thought it was odd that they are not putting "Mars" on the package. but I checked the images and they don't predominately put "Mars" on their other products, either.

Anyway, it contains No Animal products. And it uses Slavery Free chocolate.

It contains whey - but the whey is lab grown. I'm not sure why there has to be whey in it. Maybe for the texture or "mouth-feel". But when I think of whey I also remember that part of Forks Over Knives where casein produced tumors in rats.

You might give it some bonus points in that the packaging is plastic free, too.

Well we will have to see how it tastes and how much it costs before we give it a thumb up. right now its only available on-line.

Today, confectionary giant Mars, Incorporated is launching its first vegan milk chocolate bar in the United States under new brand CO2COA. The brand was developed in partnership with food-technology company Perfect Day, which supplies Mars with the animal-free whey it uses in CO2COA’s debut vegan milk chocolate bar, a functional ingredient that gives it the same creaminess as its popular core products, which include Dove, Milky Way, Snickers, and M&Ms.​

The name CO2COA is a thoughtful and playful way to pay homage to its Rainforest Alliance-Certified cocoa and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in product sourcing. This innovation provides consumers with a delicious earth-friendly, animal-free, and lactose-free chocolate experience and is the latest sustainability-inspired innovation from Mars.​
"At Mars, we bring our consumer-passion to innovation, developing on-trend innovations that support a world where both people and the planet thrive,"​

The US-based confectionery major and owner of the Snickers and M&M’s brands said it is “leaning into the flexitarian dietary trends” with the launch, which starts immediately online in the US.​

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
So I thought maybe I should order some, taste test it, and report back here

Here is the web site so you can check it out yourself.

but they want $2.39 for a one ounce bar. I thought that seemed like a lot of money for a little bar. So I looked it up and for the same money I can buy a 3 ounce bar from Endangered Species.

Granted, the Endangered Species bars aren't milk chocolate but I don't mind. Also keep in mind that not all the Endangered Species are vegan. but below is a list of the ones that are certified vegan.

Plus - no tumor inducing whey.

If you gotta have milk chocolate there isTrader Joe's Organic Almond Beverage Chocolate Bar. A 2.5 oz bar is $3. I've had them a couple of times. I kind of like the Endangered Species bars better. There is a market I go to that has the Endangered Species Bar sitting right next to the check out. And those poor animals on the labels just call out to me. Help! Buy me! Save me! I can't resist.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Went Grocery shopping this morning and stopped at the chocolate aisle - just to see what they had. Endangered Species are normally $4. Today they were on sale for $2. There were only a few left. I bought two of them. Bold+Silky, and Strong +Velvety. They have changed the packaging a bit. no little animal faces peering out at you.

So, finally some more news for this thread!

Mars is jumping into the mix.

First off, I don't like the name. I guess you would pronounce it Co -Two- Co-A.

It contains whey - but the whey is lab grown. I'm not sure why there has to be whey in it. Maybe for the texture or "mouth-feel".
The "CO2" part of the "CO2COA" name refers to carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas). Because the CO2COA bar uses lab-grown whey (produced by microfungi that are genetically-engineered to produce actual whey), its production generates less CO2 than making whey from dairy cows.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
The "CO2" part of the "CO2COA" name refers to carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas). Because the CO2COA bar uses lab-grown whey (produced by microfungi that are genetically-engineered to produce actual whey), its production generates less CO2 than making whey from dairy cows.
Yes, as I quoted in the original article.

" The name CO2COA is a thoughtful and playful way to pay homage to its Rainforest Alliance-Certified cocoa and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in product sourcing. This innovation provides consumers with a delicious earth-friendly, animal-free, and lactose-free chocolate experience and is the latest sustainability-inspired innovation from Mars."

I swear, I don't think you guys actually read my posts. First @shyvas posts the same article a week later and now this.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: KLS52 and David3
Yes, as I quoted in the original article.

" The name CO2COA is a thoughtful and playful way to pay homage to its Rainforest Alliance-Certified cocoa and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in product sourcing. This innovation provides consumers with a delicious earth-friendly, animal-free, and lactose-free chocolate experience and is the latest sustainability-inspired innovation from Mars."

I swear, I don't think you guys actually read my posts. First @shyvas posts the same article a week later and now this.

:)
Yes, but I was neurotically compelled to add the science-y bits about "microfungi" and all that.

I bought one…the CO2COA. I’ll let everyone know how it is when it gets here. I’m not very optimistic.

I bought one…the CO2COA. I’ll let everyone know how it is when it gets here. I’m not very optimistic.
You just bought one? They sell them online one at a time? that is unusual.

I bought those Endangered Species bars (on sale), almost a month ago and I still haven't finished them.
I hadn't realized this before, but I'm not as big a fan as plain solid dark chocolate as I thought. Could be just changes in my taste buds . But I have discovered I really like dark chocolate covered pretzels. Hadn't know that. but I may have never had them before.

You just bought one? They sell them online one at a time? that is unusual.

I bought those Endangered Species bars (on sale), almost a month ago and I still haven't finished them.
I hadn't realized this before, but I'm not as big a fan as plain solid dark chocolate as I thought. Could be just changes in my taste buds . But I have discovered I really like dark chocolate covered pretzels. Hadn't know that. but I may have never had them before.
I was surprised. And shipping is free. And supposedly it’s coming with cool pack. And coming today or tomorrow! 🤷🏻‍♀️
I guess we’ll find out lol. I’m concerned about the hot weather.

Thanks for your order!

With our debut this summer, CO2COA is experiencing ‘the heat’ – both from passionate chocolate lovers and the high temperatures across the country.

Our team at CO2COA would love to tell you a little bit more about the packaging that ensures your chocolate arrives in optimal condition during hot weather. With full transparency, it is a temporary solution for limited edition, and we will make our packaging smarter as we go.

The paper materials, and cooler, in your box are plant-based and can be recycled. We appreciate your efforts to recycle or re-use all the materials included in your package. A fun tip, pop the ice packs back in the freezer and reuse them to keep ‘cool’ this summer.

Reactions: Lou